Marchesa, Rose Wins

Tevesh
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

Porting this over from Sally, Marchesa has been my pet deck since I was originally inspired by Solrune's Marchesa list. I've tried tons of different versions; Infect, Midrange, Combo but I think I've finally found something unique, interesting and fun.

I'm doing something different than most other Marchesa decks which I would say that they either build towards Midrange or Combo-Artifice-based. I am playing traditional aggro, in the style of 'Red Deck Wins'. Normally, you can't do that as the prevalence of board wipes kill the tempo required for an aggro deck. Most aggro decks actually play midrange; big spells, big Creatures in the form of go-wide with tokens or go tall with Voltron.

My Marchesa does neither, I play threats on curve. Marchesa's innate ability is what makes her able to play traditional aggro because her Creatures are able to ignore Wraths. As I'm trying to do 120 to the table, a great many of my card choices are to speed that up as much as possible. I need threat multipliers and while Marchesa provides that with Dethrone growing her Creatures, I need even more. Hence a great many of effects that deal damage when a player goes about their business or cards that make me deal damage to each opponent.

A traditional Marchesa, a midrange aggro deck, would not run a lot of these effects. It would be concerned with staying off of the Throne and attacking for advantage. Our deck does something similar at first, but then changes gears. The greatest weakness of Midrange Marchesa is dying to crackbacks. If you're always pushing yourself to be off of the Throne, it is quite easy for an opponent who is at low life to kill an even lower life Marchesa. By playing traditional aggro and dealing damage with any means of force multipliers, there will be a time where Marchesa's Dethrone will no longer work due to everyone being lower than you. At this point, you need to coast to victory with your board state and have less of a worry about dying to crackbacks. If your opponents do crackback, it's possible to retaliate with a board that now gets Dethrone triggers for the final push.
Put on the Dress

Commander - 1

Basic Lands - 6

Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog
Show
Hide
Changes 01/14/23
Show
Hide
Chanes 01/14/23
Approximate Total Cost:

Show
Hide
Changes 10/15/22
Show
Hide
Changes 10/15/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/23/22
Show
Hide
Changes 06/23/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 05/08/22
Show
Hide
Changes 05/08/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 04/05/22
Show
Hide
Changes 04/05/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 03/03/22
Show
Hide
Changes 03/03/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 01/28/22
Show
Hide
Changes 01/28/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 01/05/22
Show
Hide
Changes 01/05/22
Approximate Total Cost:

Show
Hide
Changes 12/25/21
Show
Hide
Changes 12/25/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 12/15/21
Show
Hide
Changes 12/15/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 11/25/21
Show
Hide
Changes 11/25/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/28/21
Show
Hide
Changes 06/28/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/14/21
Show
Hide
Changes 06/14/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 06/06/21
Show
Hide
Changes 06/06/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Changes 01/11/21
Show
Hide
Changes 01/11/21
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tevesh 1 year ago, edited 56 times in total.

Tevesh

First change at MTG Nexus for probably my pet deck:
Changes 08/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

I want a bit more damage to myself, I've found my life total being a bit too high in the beginning, causing some stumbling in the beginning. The Threshold ability might be good in the later game when I need to draw gas, but the majority of the Cephalid's power will be reining in my health to continually make my Dethrones available.
Last edited by Tevesh 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

If you can afford it, run a Fiery Islet instead. Mana fixing and pain all in one.

It also can be traded for a card if you're flooding out or need to dig for something.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Just a minor formatting thing - you can get the thing to not be stretched by adding order=auto to the [deck] tag:

Changes 08/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

That said, the canopies have been dipping since release, finding a slot for one at some point would probably be decent, yeah.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Tevesh

plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago
If you can afford it, run a Fiery Islet instead. Mana fixing and pain all in one.

It also can be traded for a card if you're flooding out or need to dig for something.
Once the price on the Canopies drop a bit more, I'll pick up the Islet. I'll cut a Mountain for it, probably, or Cascade Bluffs.
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Just a minor formatting thing - you can get the thing to not be stretched by adding order=auto to the [deck] tag:

Changes 08/10/19
Approximate Total Cost:

That said, the canopies have been dipping since release, finding a slot for one at some point would probably be decent, yeah.
Thanks for the formatting tip.

Tevesh

Well, this card is absurd:
Changes 08/26/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Treasure Nabber is solid, but I can't think of another card to cut for Dockside Extorionist. They both serve the same purpose of ramping so I can cheat in my windmill slams in earlier. Nabber costs more, which is a strike against it in an aggro deck and it cannot be tutored up via Imperial Recruit which does matter when I'm thinking "I need mana". I think the Extortionist is busted as all hell, time to find out.

Tevesh

Final upgrade, until next time:
Changes 08/27/19

Out

Approximate Total Cost:

I want to lose life, Islet can draw me a card in a pinch and I can't think of any other card in existence outside of ABUR Duals to improve this deck, for now.

Tevesh

I stumbled across an inspiration when I looked at Lokotor's Aristocrats Marchesa:
Changes 09/09/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Scroll of Fate lets me put bodies into the field, so that the cards that care about non-tokens dying will trigger; such as, Grim Haruspex, Judith, the Scourge Diva and Sifter of Skulls. It lets me do so at Instant Speed, which lets me Flash in surprise Blockers or safely put a dangerous, unknown threat into play. Or just bluff that. Unlike a lot of the higher cost Marchesa lists, I won't be getting much of a mana discount but this is an aggro build, I think I feel cost savings far more than others. Even if it is just shaving off the CMC of a four drop, that will be nice; or turning a non-Creature into a Creature if needed. The increased utility of turning a Counterspell into a Creature if I need to stop that hit isn't to be dismissed. The ability to cheat in non-Creatures will also be amazing; oh no, this morph died I guess it'll turn into a Necropotence or the Scroll's activation will allow me to dodge a Counterspell for my Goblin Bombardment. I also swung with these 2/2s with +1/+1 counters; that might eat a later Blocker or life total by the time the Manifest transforms into its real form.

That's a lot of tricks, so I had to think of my trickiest piece that might not be as powerful. I settled on Thief of Sanity. I do like that it gives me access to out of deck abilities; such as, stealing Green Ramp or White Wraths. The fact is those don't synergize with my deck, plus I do need to spend mana to take advantage of these cards. Scroll of Fate will let me cheat on costs or restrictions, such as getting around one Land Drop rule.

Tevesh

From last night's game, Marchesa is being upgraded a Tier. Apparently my group thinks she's pretty pubstompy. I guess it's an aggressive, tuned deck that's also resilient which makes it difficult to deal with unless the table collapses on me.

Tevesh

I found a MP Champion Force of Will and snapped it up immediately for $17. Looks like another card that I thought that would be outside of my budget is added to my pet deck:
Changes 10/19/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Removing Unspeakable Symbol feels like blasphemy but I realized I never had time to cast it. The deck runs a lot of ways to protect Marchesa (3 from Lands: Opal Palace, Guildmages' Forum and Forge of Heroes; 3 Counterspells: Force of Will, Pact of Negation and Stubborn Denial; 2 Artifacts: Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots; and 6 Creatures: Mausoleum Wanderer, Metallic Mimic, Kira, Great Glass-Spinner,Sage of Fables, Spark Double and Glen Elendra Archmage) and Symbol feels like a dead slot because it isn't free to cast in the tight curve of this deck or doesn't put bodies on the board to push the game forward. I have been desiring a bit more interaction; as there are times when I die from Commander Damage, an Anthem Critter or a sufficiently large man. I'm hoping Snuff Out will mitigate that, plus it lowers my life total.

The deck ran 39 Lands which is an artifact of when the curve was a bit higher. With the amount of Looting or Scrying, tossing away those extra lands felt like a no brainer. Since a land costs nothing, that seems to make Force an equal CMC swap for a pretty good effect.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Yeah, that Unspeakable Symbol cut does feel pretty blasphemous :P I don't really get your choice of countermagic, you don't seem to be the sort of all-in shell that Pact of Negation shines in, and I'm not sure how fourteen other blue cards relate to Force of Will.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Suozi

Post by Suozi » 4 years ago

Hey Tev,

First time on Nexus, so apologize for formatting errors, etc.

I was not very impressed with my midrange/aristocrat/theft Marchesa decks; they always felt like bastardized, more fragile versions of commanders that did nearly the same thing. Marchesa's weaknesses of managing dethrone creates really interesting decisions within games though, so I love the commander, just not the typical play style. Aggro looks amazing, though.

A few questions:
1. Can a budget mana base support such a fast deck? I'm still rocking bounce/taplands.
2. What is typically your cut-off for creatures? I am not sure how to evaluate the impact certain creatures have Kitesail Freebooter.

Can you browse my very rough first draft of chaft I have around (I might sell Mikaeus for the painlands/checklands). Thanks a ton. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mtbr2/

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, that Unspeakable Symbol cut does feel pretty blasphemous :P I don't really get your choice of countermagic, you don't seem to be the sort of all-in shell that Pact of Negation shines in, and I'm not sure how fourteen other blue cards relate to Force of Will.
Ugh, you're probably right. I got that FoW and just tossed it in here.
Suozi wrote:
4 years ago
Hey Tev,

First time on Nexus, so apologize for formatting errors, etc.

I was not very impressed with my midrange/aristocrat/theft Marchesa decks; they always felt like bastardized, more fragile versions of commanders that did nearly the same thing. Marchesa's weaknesses of managing dethrone creates really interesting decisions within games though, so I love the commander, just not the typical play style. Aggro looks amazing, though.

A few questions:
1. Can a budget mana base support such a fast deck? I'm still rocking bounce/taplands.
2. What is typically your cut-off for creatures? I am not sure how to evaluate the impact certain creatures have Kitesail Freebooter.

Can you browse my very rough first draft of chaft I have around (I might sell Mikaeus for the painlands/checklands). Thanks a ton. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mtbr2/
You're over 100 cards and I don't know your mana base. Unfortunately, the mana base is almost the most important thing for aggro decks as you need to make sure you hit your colours to put pressure on the table while Control can slowly build that up. If you look through my Changelog, you'll see that I've been working on this deck for four years. If you take it nice and slow, you'll eventually get what you want. Hell, I bought that majority of my painlands for $2-3. The golden age of budget EDH seems to be over. I'd recommend you play a lot of Basics as ETBT is terrible for you and use Pilgrim's Eye and Skittering Surveyor to make sure you hit those particular lands. At the very least they cantrip off of their death. Luckily, the colour fixing lands are pretty cheap and with such a small curve, they can help you make colours you're missing. Add Opal Palace, Guildmages' Forum, etc.

I have no idea why you would want to use Ixidron as that kills your own deck. Keldon Firebombers is a pretty risky pick. Unless MLD is OKed in your meta, you should probably warn people that you're playing a powerful deck but this deck would lose to those. You need to improve this deck significantly before it could fight in the big boy metas where anything goes. And you don't have the money for that, so I'd axe 'em. Cephalid Constable is in the same boat. I literally don't run him because he's too good for the tier.

Your curve is already too high. I've cut Sheoldred, Whispering One and Mikaeus, Unhallowed One because they were just too expensive to realistically play. I rather put down two threats down than a big sledge hammer because Marchesa's dethrone means I'm gaining two power of damage over one with those bodies. Hell, I only have two 6 drops: Kokusho, the Evening Star and Bolas's Citadel. If the card isn't that good at six, I don't have time for it. Flayer of the Hatebound is fine for now, as your deck isn't too fast so it doesn't outpace that. Mike might be OK because he's an anthem, but I think you'd need to go for a more Aristocrats oriented build.

I tried Zo-Zu the Punisher but dropped him because his damage is Linear: players usually play one land per turn and so his damage potentially roughly caps out at 2 or 4. You want cards that have unlimited potential; Scab-Clan Berserker is OK but she depends on her opponents doing things and in some matches that means she'll do nothing. This is why I have so many ping-upon-death; my Creatures are going to die, I'm going to make that happen and maybe I'll take my opponent's Creatures as well. I see you pretty much have my Ping Shell.

The issue with Pain Rocks et. al. is that they belong more in a midrange or control build where they want to spend the early turns trying to develop a board state that will take advantage of their more costly spells. You do not have time for that in Aggro. My first few turns are putting bodies on the table and chipping away until Marchesa hits the board and amps my men up. This might be your best option you have for now.

Pain Seer doesn't draw you cards, he'll come back untapped and be unable to be Inspired. Run Mindblade Render instead. Other inexpensive cards that'll help you smooth over your draws: Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion, Prophetic Flamespeaker and Impaler Shrike. Unfortunately, a lot of draw engines are expensive. Other options that didn't impress me but might be good for you as a band-aid are Ruin Raider, River Kelpie, Graveborn Muse or even a Sire of Stagnation. I know a lot of this is contradictory but its the difference between ideal and possible. Over time, you'll get to the ideal but for now you gotta go with options that aren't the best for your strategy.

The one thing I notice your deck is missing is Sac Outlets. Having free Sac Outlets is paramount. You don't have time to spend mana and that's why Inkfathom Witch is pretty useless. You want to put down another body, not pump your team unless it's for the killing blow on the final opponent. Spawning Pit should be your top priority to track down; it saves your Creatures and makes more for you. Pure upside. Bloodflow Connoisseur should be easy to get. You need sac outlets so badly I'd recommend Nantuko Husk or Bloodthrone Vampire.

You've got most of the good 'Armies in a Can' except Sifter of Skulls, it's pure absurdity. Chasm Skulker didn't impress me, so that would be my suggested cut for Sifter. Also, a note about Desecrated Tomb: each Creature returning creates a 1/1 Bat.

I do like Spiketail Drakeling, might have to give that a go after Rumpy pointed out how little cards I have as Force fodder. Hopefully this is all helpful.

Edit: Which reminded me, I was pretty impressed by Weaponcraft Enthusiast in a budget build. Every now and then I toy with the idea of trying him out, as he's 5 power for 3 mana if you attack with a Dethrone and creates two 1/1s every time he comes back. I've seen a pretty good pure Midrange Marchesa; it dropped the thievery and just played obnoxious Creatures that just wouldn't die due to Marchesa keeping them alive.

Suozi

Post by Suozi » 4 years ago

Why are sacrifice outlets necessary? It feels like a) creatures are blocked in combat, killing them or b) boardwiped, in which they'll come back anyways. If I don't have time for mana rocks, resetting counters on creatures seems like setting myself back damage (and looping creatures for damage seems like the aristocrats/midrange build).

Thank you for the response! Your deck/meta is obviously much more tuned than mine since I've been playing for approximately six months. Because of this, I'm building this deck with the assumption my deck will have to be 0.5-1 turns slower and need to be slightly larger to deal with my slower start.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 years ago

You want sacrifice outlets for a few reasons:
  • [Save your team from exile-based removal
  • Save your team from mass bounce, which sets you waaaay back
  • Control when you're getting those extra leaves/enters the battlefield triggers
  • Control opponent life totals--sometimes you want to swing with someone for an effect, but don't necessarily want to knock that player off the throne

Tevesh

Suozi wrote:
4 years ago
Why are sacrifice outlets necessary? It feels like a) creatures are blocked in combat, killing them or b) boardwiped, in which they'll come back anyways. If I don't have time for mana rocks, resetting counters on creatures seems like setting myself back damage (and looping creatures for damage seems like the aristocrats/midrange build).

Thank you for the response! Your deck/meta is obviously much more tuned than mine since I've been playing for approximately six months. Because of this, I'm building this deck with the assumption my deck will have to be 0.5-1 turns slower and need to be slightly larger to deal with my slower start.
Exactly as [mention]yeti1069[/mention] mentioned. Sacrifice Outlets are there to protect your team from Aetherspouts, Settle the Wreckage, Play of the Game and Evacutation. Instead of losing your board, you might have to sacrifice a piece or two to keep the rest safe. This is why card draw is paramount in Marchesa and I try to field a lot of it: you're going to try to make a Land Drop each turn to help churn out your two to three cards; one draw per turn doesn't make that sustainable.

The other reason is that you have a lot of different effects on death. What if someone's at 12 and they cast a spell you don't like? A Sac Outlet with Blood Artist can Counter that spell by killing that player. You can Sacrifice at will to trigger and target opposing Creatures with Judith, the Scourge Diva or Mayhem Devil. Maybe you're on the Throne and you need to lose some life to tie, so you sacrifice Creatures to trigger Midnight Reaper. Or just to draw cards. Sacrifice Outlets give you a lot of flexibility. You don't do it for value like Aristocrats, but to protect or attack certain pieces on the board. Hell, sometimes I want a Blocker on my turn so I sacrifice a tapped Creature at the end of a Second Main to get a chump ready.

This is also why I'm not a fan of Fleshbag Marauder and co. because he can be setup to take out your own Creatures. Instead, I'd run something like Ravenous Chupacabra and stick it on a Sac Loop. That way it can't backfire in your face, he'll get through for more damage because people won't want to Block and Trade and if you have a Sacrifice Outlet you provide no correct answer on how to block. That's the main reason to have Sac Outlets: make every Block the wrong Block. The ceiling on knowing when to let your Creatures get chumped or Sac'd for effect is high, and the more skilled you become on knowing how to navigate the combat step, the more your opponent's lives will be hell.

Lastly, sometimes you just want to keep a player to farm them for +1/+1 counters. Maybe you want those on Attack triggers or Dethrones, but you don't want their life total to lower. You have Sword of the Animist but I've got Curse of Opulence but the idea is the same. Typically, I decide on which player I need to kill ASAP and keep swinging at them until they're dead, the rest of the Creatures attack other players just to get the +1/+1s. So, I could be at 25, have an opponent at 32 but I'm trying to kill someone who is at 15. If you go wide enough, it's pretty easy to do.

I think you don't have access to the cards that make your deck go too quick, so instead of playing Aggro you can play Aggro-Control. Now, I know most people think that means Midrange in Commander but I'm talking about running slightly bulkier Creatures that have good utility. Think Blue/Green Madness, back in the day. It ended the game with flying 6/6s with Counterspells. Marchesa lets you play Aggro, so instead of moving strictly to Midrange with big monsters and big spells, you choose medium monsters and small spells. Grimgrin, Corpse-Born immediately jumps to my mind; he was quite the beast but the deck outpaced him to the point where he was no longer relevant. Instead of trying to stack your CMC at 3, try for 4. Play with disruptive Creatures; it's kind of like my Rakdos, Lord of Riots build where the Creatures protect themselves while turning sideways. Other Creatures that kind of fit the definition of what I'm trying to express here: Archfiend of Depravity, Kraum, Ludevic's Opus, Ogre Battledriver, Thief of Sanity, Herald of Secret Streams, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Twilight Prophet, Hostage Taker, Loyal Subordinate, etc. They help you control the battlefield but also have sizable bodies.

It means you don't need to be super fast, you're slower than this build but with bulkier Creatures to make up for it but you're still playing Aggro.

Slipperygecko

Post by Slipperygecko » 4 years ago

I used to play Marchesa but pulled apart the deck because it was too oppressive, and I'd more often than not end up taking time in everyone's turns as when they moved to end step I'd trigger off Marchie's ability with a bunch of sacs for value. Amazing cards were Arcbound Ravager and Rakdos Cackler as they fuel themselves, with say Yawgmoth out in a 4 player game that's 2 card draws and 1/-1 counters every opponents turns, so by the time it hits you it's a new hand and a significantly reduced board. Fleshwrither and Shifting Shadow was great for repeatable tutoring every turn as it came back. Also Dictate of Erebos and Grave Pact are straight up rude with Marchie as you can repeatably one-side wipe the table. Aura Thief was great for stealing away rhystics or other value enchantments like Sylvan Library :)

Have you tried out Scourge of the Throne? It's a nice win-con, but with certain setups can end up being death-by-attrition vs ending it quickly with Gary.

Did love playing the deck tho, just not seeing my friends reactions to bringing it out tho haha. This one looks like fun.

Tevesh

Slipperygecko wrote:
4 years ago
I used to play Marchesa but pulled apart the deck because it was too oppressive, and I'd more often than not end up taking time in everyone's turns as when they moved to end step I'd trigger off Marchie's ability with a bunch of sacs for value. Amazing cards were Arcbound Ravager and Rakdos Cackler as they fuel themselves, with say Yawgmoth out in a 4 player game that's 2 card draws and 1/-1 counters every opponents turns, so by the time it hits you it's a new hand and a significantly reduced board. Fleshwrither and Shifting Shadow was great for repeatable tutoring every turn as it came back. Also Dictate of Erebos and Grave Pact are straight up rude with Marchie as you can repeatably one-side wipe the table. Aura Thief was great for stealing away rhystics or other value enchantments like Sylvan Library :)

Have you tried out Scourge of the Throne? It's a nice win-con, but with certain setups can end up being death-by-attrition vs ending it quickly with Gary.

Did love playing the deck tho, just not seeing my friends reactions to bringing it out tho haha. This one looks like fun.
Funnily enough, Scourge of the Throne is what made me change the direction of the deck. I liked it, but then I ran the numbers of how well it would do against Hanweir Garrison and I liked how much damage I generated early with Hanweir against Scourge.

I don't run an Aristocrats build, so I'm not using Lambs that require fodder. Fleshwrither was in the earliest build but got cut because of how terribly awkward and overcosted it was. Marchesa is a 4 drop and the whole deck centers around her; other 4 drops need to be comparatively powerful and Fleshwrither's cost to fetch them was just too slow.

I axed Grave Pact and its effects because it was just too slow for what I wanted to do. If the deck was slower, then it would be a great addition to wrath the board over and over again. I just want to kill everyone before I need to worry about their big men. Aura Thief was also in an earlier build but it was cut because of my Ping Package. I don't need to worry about Propaganda shutting me down, I ping right over it unlike a Midrange build.

Tevesh

Welp, Rumpy was right:
Changes 10/29/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Force didn't have a friendly blue spell for me to use. I'll replace it with another '0 CMC Spell' with Hall, which will lower my life and give my Creatures Haste. Let's see how it shakes out.

Tevesh

An experiment:
Changes 11/02/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Loyal Drake has kind of hit-and-miss, such as relying on Marchesa to be on the field if she gets aggressively hated out. Robber of the Rich, in theory, doesn't give a crap about that. The Haste is very good for an Aggro deck and Reach does matter if I need to leave back a blocker as it is usually big, flying Creatures that hunt my face because nothing else can get through my ground stall of tons of Creatures. Robber's 'draw' isn't linear like Drake's, it's anybody who has more cards in hand than I do and considering I toss cards away like they're going out of fashion to keep my tempo up, I think I'll be able to 'draw' a lot. My deck also has a fair number of Rogues to gain access to the Robber's cards - Oona's Blackguard, Sygg, River Cutthroat, Zulaport Cutthroat. I can also do all sorts of Aristocrats nonsense with the Blackguard out and Robber as a Lamb, in addition to the Blackguard making my opponents discard.

I guess this also means I want to push towards eventually biting that bullet and buy a Bitterblossom.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Counterpoint on Robin Hood - all your Rogues are tiny baby walker men, apart from the Blackguard. So that loops back to needing Marchesa anyway to get cards reliably. Doesn't seem like it'll work too well, if I'm to be honest, but it's also entirely possible I'm wrong.

Also, seeing how I'm posting and remembering to mention it this time, menu=hide in the deck tag of the updates makes the little bar thingy go away if you're not a fan of it.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

hellfiend

Post by hellfiend » 4 years ago

I just got a foil Castle Locthwain i'm going to test out. Can hit you for a bunch of dmg when needed, draws you a card, isn't great early game, but seems the value is there for Marchesa.

Tevesh

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Counterpoint on Robin Hood - all your Rogues are tiny baby walker men, apart from the Blackguard. So that loops back to needing Marchesa anyway to get cards reliably. Doesn't seem like it'll work too well, if I'm to be honest, but it's also entirely possible I'm wrong.

Also, seeing how I'm posting and remembering to mention it this time, menu=hide in the deck tag of the updates makes the little bar thingy go away if you're not a fan of it.
You're probably right. I just had my first game with Robber and I kept a terrible hand because he was in it. Unfortunately, it didn't really appeal to me. I'll want to try him out in other games before making my final call, but things don't look so good for Robin Hood.
hellfiend wrote:
4 years ago
I just got a foil Castle Locthwain i'm going to test out. Can hit you for a bunch of dmg when needed, draws you a card, isn't great early game, but seems the value is there for Marchesa.
I wouldn't use Castle Lochtwain because it might ETBT. I allow that for Hall of the Bandit Lord because it makes me lose life and gives my Creatures Haste which an Aggro deck likes. Grand Coliseum passes just as a colour fixing pain land and Path of Ancestry gives me Scrys which smooths over my draws, as the deck has quite a few Humans and Wizards.

As for other cards that have been disappointing me as of late:

Scroll of Fate, in theory, lets me put Creatures into play but the deck isn't try to cheat stuff out, I am not an Aristocrats that needs willing Lambs or other fodder.

I do not have time to jump through the hoops to make Toothy, Imaginary Friend absurd. Sure, it draws me cards when it dies with +1/+1 Counters, but it does not measure up to other four drops.

Kokusho, the Evening Star just costs too much. I would put in another life gain option if one that is as good existed in a cheaper bracket, but I don't think Sangromancer or Dross Harvester would do me much good. Or perhaps they would gain me too much life.

Westvale Abbey's potential costs too much to payoff, it seems. I rarely get into a situation where I'm glad that Westvale Abbey was a Land, it hurts my mana more than it helps. I do like the backup and reach it provides but I'm not sure if it is worth the colourless.

Necropotence and Rhystic Study. Now this, I know is pure blasphemy. The problem is that I need to keep putting pressure on the board and these cards don't seem to do the trick anymore. I have a lot of card draw between all of little bodies that I rather just keep feeding the meat grinder than take a turn off from pressuring the table to cast either of these. But hey, I've made dumb analysis before.

Tevesh

Cutting disappointments:
Changes 11/24/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Toothy is just too slow for the deck to take advantage of him as a card advantage engine. Enter Rankle. While he can give draws, I was initially interested in him due to his Sacrifice portion of the trigger. I cut Grave Pact because it was too slow; it is much better in Midrange where you want to control the board, I don't care with aggro I just swing. Rankle can be that Grave Pact, he can also eat into opponent's hands and if I need draw, he can do that too. The life loss might even be relevant considering how quickly I chew through life totals.

As I stated above, Kokusho has been too expensive. I pondered adding Dross Harvester back in and after thinking about it, I decided to. I didn't really use Kokusho to drain people out, I used him as an emergency life gain. He basically was Pay 6 Mana, gain 15 life. That's all he in did in the deck. The Dross Harvester might be more in line with the deck, especially since I've added so many more pain sources since he was last in the deck.

Tevesh

Well, the Manifest Experiment is over:
Changes 11/29/19
Approximate Total Cost:

Scroll of Fate ate into my hand. In theory, that should be a good thing, putting bodies on the board but it didn't guarantee me useful results. It is the same sort of lesson I had to learn with Olivia, Mobilized for War. The effect is useful but the cost of cards is too much of an ask. Scroll did the same and it didn't even protect Marchesa. In the Scroll's place comes Loyal Drake who probably draws me cards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”