Katilda and Innistrad's Hateful Eight (Innistrad-Themed Hatebears)

Phoenixlance
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Phoenixlance » 2 years ago

As someone who has been trying to build Human tribal in EDH for a while now, I just had to try out Katilda, Dawnhart Prime. Before Midnight Hunt was released, I had been playing this sort of Innistrad themed deck with Selvala, Explorer Returned at the helm to both churn out Humans and Angels, while also keeping my hand full and give me ways to rebuild. Katilda also serves as ramp in the command zone, and Humans as a tribe has only gotten stronger in the years since our first trip to Innistrad.

The first iteration of this deck wanted to explode out of the gate with every possible one-drop available to land a highly impactful 5-drop like Cathars' Crusade or Vanquisher's Banner. However, this strategy had its problems, namely in that it got heavily crippled by board wipes and interaction. I also missed the flavor of Humans and Angels working together that my original Selvala list had. So I trimmed down on the one drops, added some ways to slow the opponent down, and we have arrived here:
Katilda and Innistrad's Hateful Eight

Artifact

Approximate Total Cost:

Our "Hateful Eight" here are Tocatli Honor Guard, Ethersworn Canonist, Drannith Magistrate, Containment Priest, Grand Abolisher, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Glowrider, and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. They all serve to heavily disrupt opposing strategies and slow the game down for us as we build up our board. Sanctifier en-Vec, Esper Sentinel, and Mangara, the Diplomat help accentuate the plan. Even the Angels get in on the fun; after all, divine beings do not concern themselves with the opinions of mere mortals.

There are various card advantage engines here to help us recover or to tutor up the hate pieces we need. Captain Sisay finds a surprisingly high number of cards, and can be searched in multiple ways. Our planeswalkers all draw us more cards, and there's even Arena Rector to punish our opponent for wrathing the board by giving us an easy way to recover. I even included some green cantrips to smooth out the early game and dig for appropriate pieces.

In the end, we win through combat damage. Kamahl, multiple lord effects, True Conviction all help the deck pack a punch when were are ready to win.

I'm currently working on a maybeboard of alternate Humans and Angels in case I would like to tone down on the stax-y elements for more casual groups.
Maybeboard
Approximate Total Cost:

Before getting retired, Selvala was probably one of my strongest/most tuned lists, and I would love to see Katilda reach that pinnacle as well. Open to thoughts and suggestions!
Last edited by Phoenixlance 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

Tags:

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 2 years ago

There are many I could suggest, but even though your entire deck is basically mana dorks thanks to your commander, you are also particularly vulnerable to board wipes. If you don't manage to keep a full grip, then one good wrath effect will slow you down considerably. I would really consider a land ramp plan as a backup, but maybe only Karametra, God of Harvests is enough for that. It rewards you for playing your game plan but also lets you fetch lands out of the deck at the same time. Once its turned on, your (pretty easily done in this deck) then you have a large indestructible beater to join your army.

Alternatively, more of the stax humans are played (the thalias in particular) and you could also consider Glare of Subdual . Even if it is only a 1-off effect, being able to tap down problematic attackers/blockers could help your game plan considerably.

Phoenixlance

weltkrieg wrote:
2 years ago
There are many I could suggest, but even though your entire deck is basically mana dorks thanks to your commander, you are also particularly vulnerable to board wipes. If you don't manage to keep a full grip, then one good wrath effect will slow you down considerably. I would really consider a land ramp plan as a backup, but maybe only Karametra, God of Harvests is enough for that. It rewards you for playing your game plan but also lets you fetch lands out of the deck at the same time. Once its turned on, your (pretty easily done in this deck) then you have a large indestructible beater to join your army.

Alternatively, more of the stax humans are played (the thalias in particular) and you could also consider Glare of Subdual . Even if it is only a 1-off effect, being able to tap down problematic attackers/blockers could help your game plan considerably.
Thank you for these suggestions! I took a lot of them into account when I revised my decklist in the original post.

Glare of Subdual is an interesting one I had not considered before. I remember the good ol' days of using this in Standard. Might be something for me to look into, possibly as a replacement for something like Akroma's Will which has proven to be a little clunky.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

This feels like a deck that would like a couple more 1-drops and a Ranger of Eos / Ranger-Captain of Eos.

Kytheon, Hero of Akros // Gideon, Battle-Forged is deceptively powerful in this kinda shell too, especially since he brings a repeated untap for your commander and/or another mana dork>:)

I'd also consider Oath of Nissa over Adventurous Impulse just for the very slight fixing upgrade for your walkers and finding them too.

Phoenixlance

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
This feels like a deck that would like a couple more 1-drops and a Ranger of Eos / Ranger-Captain of Eos.

Kytheon, Hero of Akros // Gideon, Battle-Forged is deceptively powerful in this kinda shell too, especially since he brings a repeated untap for your commander and/or another mana dork>:)

I'd also consider Oath of Nissa over Adventurous Impulse just for the very slight fixing upgrade for your walkers and finding them too.
Not gonna lie, I got so excited that I had a foil Japanese Mystical Archive Adventurous Impulse to use I completely forgot about Oath. Definitely seems better especially when I want to find that Garruk or Ajani to reload.

When I first built Katilda there was a lot more one drops and both Rangers were incredibly versatile because of it. But when I started cutting out the Flaxen Intruder // Welcome Homes of the world in favor of actual Magic cards, Ranger/Ranger-Captain didn't feel like they were pulling their weight anymore and got replaced by the 4-drop angels.

Hilariously, Kytheon, Hero of Akros // Gideon, Battle-Forged was one of the few one-drops I didn't include before. I completely missed being able to untap mana dorks with him. He and Sylvan Safekeeper would bring me up to 9 one-drops and at that point I could probably justify the Rangers again.
Main Rotation

cEDH

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I played ranger happily for years with 3 one-drops so I think it's probly fine period :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”