[Looking for suggestions] Ishai and Esior: Caw Blade

Travnar
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Travnar » 2 years ago

Looking to get some thoughts on this deck or any suggestions for a UW voltron control build. I first started playing Magic during Caw Blade's heyday so I've always loved the deck and concept; this is an attempt to make a EDH deck inspired by it.

I'm a bit worried that I'm a little too "all-in" on Ishai, but I'm not sure what else I'd have carry swords. I considered Shabraz, the Skyshark since it seemed a bit easier to increase his counters, but I didn't like direction the deck was drawn toward with Timetwister effects. I also think Esior is a pretty valuable partner for the voltron strategy.

Ishai and Esior
Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

Phoenixlance

Post by Phoenixlance » 2 years ago

If you're looking for other things to potentially carry swords, Dragonlord Ojutai is a personal favorite of mine.

I remember Caw-Blade ran Consecrated Sphinx and Sun Titan as top-end threats. Sun Titan pulls double-duty by recurring equipment too. I also remember Emeria Angel being played as a way to spit out more bodies, although the effect may not be impactful enough for a 4-man pod.

I really like running a critical mass of cantrip effects in decks like this to help smooth out the early game. Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain etc.

Sword of Hearth and Home could be a potential good inclusion into your equipment package as a way to ramp you while protecting from things like StP, Vindicate, and Assassin's Trophy. Fireshrieker allows you to turn the corner very quickly as well.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

Moat is pretty expensive. I think you have some other options in this vein that also work pretty well. Propaganda Ghostly Prison work well in a voltron build.

Flying and protection are pretty good evasion, but trample is still qutie good. To that end, may i suggest Shadowspear. Seems like it would work wonders with your commander.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Travnar

Post by Travnar » 2 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
2 years ago
Moat is pretty expensive. I think you have some other options in this vein that also work pretty well. Propaganda Ghostly Prison work well in a voltron build.

Flying and protection are pretty good evasion, but trample is still qutie good. To that end, may i suggest Shadowspear. Seems like it would work wonders with your commander.
Thanks for the suggestion. I can definitely see making room for Shadowspear. And fortunately, I have a copy of Moat that I got awhile ago.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 2 years ago

My Kefnet deck plays in a voltron control style, although it's more akin to Delver aggro-control than to Draw-Go; it's about landing a threat and protecting it while murdering people. Since you're basing the deck on Caw Blade, I'm guessing you're going for more of the latter?

Depending on which playstyle you're angling towards changes how to assess the deck, but a few things that jump out at me regardless,

Draw: You have about 6 effects that draw you cards and most of those only draw you one card a turn cycle. If you're going for Draw-Go against 3 opponents, I'm worried you'll run out of gas very quickly.
Equipment: I think a few extra pieces wouldn't go astray here. As others have recommended, Fireshrieker and Shadowspear are excellent pieces; I'd 100% add Commander's Plate to the list. Conversely, Masterwork of Ingenuity seems like an easy cut; none of your non-Legendary equipment provides extra benefit by being doubled-up, so putting in a piece of equipment that is powerful on it's own will likely serve you better.
Protection: All well and good, but there is a LOT of it in this deck; remember that counterspells also protect your board. I'd consider putting in Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots over Giver of Runes and Mother of Runes, since they can provide static protection the turn they come into play and also give haste.
Turns: Harder to assess here, since my deck plays differently, but would more ramp, or card draw, or equipment work better here? My thoughts are that extra turn spells lead to very spiky gameplay and are better served to make it over the line just in time, which seems less important for a Draw-Go style deck.

Just some quick thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt, since you may be after a completely different playstyle than what I get from Kefnet.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”