Emry, Lurker of the Shop

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Hi everyone! Not much history to this deck. I wanted to build a u/r artifact pile because I love Storm the Vault/Vault of Catlacan, but the number of red cards dwindled until I decided that it would be better to just play mono-blue. Enter Emry.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

The deck doesn't have any interest in proper combo. It tries to win with a pile of tokens via Sai, Mirrodin Besieged, Efficient Construction and Sharding Sphinx, very cheap artifacts (further discounted by Mycosynth Golem), and then some shenanigans with Emry to keep everything running smoothly.

Cutesy stuff:
Voyager Staff lets you re-use Emry, and Emry lets you re-use Voyager Staff. Same with Aether Spellbomb, though it feels much slower.
Clock of Omens is pretty wild with lots of stuff once the tokens roll in. Metalworker, Retrofitter Foundry, Steel Overseer. Even something like Mystic Forge can do work if you untap it a bunch of times.
Last edited by Sinis 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Jumped over from @MeowZeDung's query thread. There's a lot of similarity between this and what I'm running currently, although your deck seems more premium than mine.

Both yourself and Meow have mentioned Voyager Staff synergy. Is it really worth it? Without haste seems kinda....eh.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Both yourself and Meow have mentioned Voyager Staff synergy. Is it really worth it? Without haste seems kinda....eh.
I think so, since it lets you dodge removal/wipes. It doesn't have to target Emry; you can spare your Shimmer Dragon, Soul of New Phyrexia (when targeted by an exile spell), etc. You can also point it at an opponent's creature that has troublesome equipment, or is otherwise a dire threat (like Ulamog) and it can buy you time, especially if you have Emry to just dig it up again.

I think it's pretty versatile, and its floor is that it gets picked up by Emry for and then activated in the post-combat main of the player to your right to mill for 4.
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
although your deck seems more premium than mine.
I've actively avoided playing Crypt/Vault in this deck. I think that would probably push it well over what my group would like (as it stands, I only bust this out on rare occasions, and it very frequently wins by just generating a ton of... everything).

I think it's probably less spendy when you factor out the Metalworker; I bought one while it was banned, because I'm a collector/hoarder in my heart. I think I payed $20 for it. The moxen were also bought on the cheap; they weren't always this silly.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

I think Voyager Staff does a lot here. Great with emry and Greaves, protection even without Greaves, EOT mill for looks at more cards, proc your ETB stuff like battleball, etc.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Sinis

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
proc your ETB stuff like battleball, etc.
Yeah, like this stuff! You could even just Staff Urza a few times for multiple Karnstructs, etc.

I think Voyager's Staff is particularly well-positioned for Emry, on account of being one mana and setting up for T2 Emry, while also having a useful sacrifice ability that Emry doesn't mind repeating. Also, no Tap in its activation cost, so you can tap it safely tap it for Whir, Clock of Omens, Urza, Shimmer Dragon, or whatever. Recasting it triggers the token-makers, etc.

This reminds me, though, you can also torch other people's tokens, or stop their copy spells without permanently removing your own guy; last night, someone Rite of Replicationed my Drakuseth (in Purphoros), and it would have been totally easy to either blink their token Drakuseth out of existence forever, or to blink my own Drakuseth once targets were announced.

I think its power definitely lies in versatility and doing what this deck already wants to do (cheap artifact that Emry can recur for value).

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Have you heard of our lord and savior Salvaging Station? That card is the stone cold nuts in this deck, trust me. If anyone board wipes, you can basically dredge up every dead thing you have or recur a bauble to death and draw a dozen. Try it, you'll like it.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Sinis

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Have you heard of our lord and savior Salvaging Station? That card is the stone cold nuts in this deck, trust me. If anyone board wipes, you can basically dredge up every dead thing you have or recur a bauble to death and draw a dozen. Try it, you'll like it.
I have a fear that it goes too far with Krark Clan Ironworks plus some other stuff.

1. Make two tokens with Retrofitter Foundry for
2. Tap Station to dig up a Mox, tap mox for , sacrifice mox for . Sac Foundry for
3. Sac a token for , untap Station, dig up Mox, Sac a token for , untap station, dig up Foundry. We're floating . Go to 1.

This deck is already outpowered for my usual group, so I'm hesitant to add more power to it. Like, I have the Mana Vault/Grim Monolith/Mana Crypt/Basalt Monolith and other shenanigans, and I think it would just push it waaaay over the edge for the people I play with.

So, I welcome the thought, but, I think it might go too far.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
I have a fear that it goes too far with Krark Clan Ironworks plus some other stuff.

1. Make two tokens with Retrofitter Foundry,
2. Tap Station to dig up a Mox, tap mox for , sacrifice mox for . Sac Foundry for
3. Sac a token for , untap Station, dig up Mox, Sac a token for , untap station, dig up Foundry. We're floating . Spend making 2 tokens with Foundry, go to 1.

This deck is already outpowered for my usual group, so I'm hesitant to add more power to it. Like, I have the Mana Vault/Grim Monolith/Mana Crypt/Basalt Monolith, and I think it would just push it waaaay over the edge for the people I play with.
That is a fair concern, and you're not wrong to have it. Still, if you ever have the chance to try it, Salvaging Station will change your life. My whole emry deck is built around it and I've never looked back.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Sinis

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
That is a fair concern, and you're not wrong to have it. Still, if you ever have the chance to try it, Salvaging Station will change your life. My whole emry deck is built around it and I've never looked back.
It does have appeal, as does stuff like Trading Post. So, you're not wrong ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”