Aggro Enchantress W/ Wyleth Soul of Steel

Gamazson
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gamazson » 3 years ago

This is something I have been messing with a for a few months. It started out as a Anax and Cymede deck. It evolved into Wyleth, Soul of Steel a month or two after his release. His ability goes a long way to solve the card advantage problems inherent to the concept and to Boros colours.

It still uses cheap aura's that replace themselves or can be returned to hand by paying mana. Although I have cut most of the Heroic effects like Anax and Cymede, these cheap aura's still provide a great deal of benefit with cast trigger and ETB cards that care about aura's.

Since this is one of those out there, probably shouldn't work deck ideas, I treat this deck as an active experiment. I am always interested in feedback.

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Aggro Enchantress

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Gamazson 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

I like the fact that you've decided to go auras here instead of equipment. Makes it a bit more interesting.

I would strongly suggest getting a Retether so you can get all those auras back into play.

Sigil of the Empty Throne can also gain you a lot of battlefield presence.

Starfield Mystic and Transcendent Envoy can help you cast more auras per turn you might consider them over some of your worse mana rocks.

Oath of Lieges or Smothering Tithe can help keep you apace of your green or black opponents.

Entangler , Spectra Ward, Sage's Reverie are some other auras to consider.

Winds of Rath is probably a one sided board wipe here.

Starfield of Nyx is a one a kind card that might work here too.

I think I would try to make room for a couple of good hatebears. Grand Abolisher Aven Mindcensor being some of the better ones. But there's a lot to choose from and depending on your meta, there might be some that work better.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Gamazson

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
I like the fact that you've decided to go auras here instead of equipment. Makes it a bit more interesting.
I also think auras provide a faster tempo. They are more fragile than artifacts, but the cost to effect ratio seems better.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
I would strongly suggest getting a Retether so you can get all those auras back into play.
I was wistfully looking at Replenish whishing it was cheaper. Retether is almost as good in this deck. I am adding it to my shopping list!
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Sigil of the Empty Throne can also gain you a lot of battlefield presence.
I've been thinking about replacing Ajani's Chosen with it.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Entangler , Spectra Ward, Sage's Reverie are some other auras to consider.
I don't know how much merit there is to this concern, but I have been wary of the mana curve. More than usual anyway. The high CMC of these aura's have been scaring me away. Out of the 3, Sage's Reverie feels the most important. Maybe including more cost reducers as you suggested might make these cards more viable. I focused on mana rocks that produced coloured mana because I was thinking about the number of pips needed to cast Crown of Flames and Flickering Ward repeatedly.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Starfield of Nyx is a one a kind card that might work here too.
Maybe I am dense, but I am not seeing the immediate benefit versus Sun Titan. The bottom ability about turning my small number of non-aura enchantments into creatures feels like a detriment.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
I think I would try to make room for a couple of good hatebears. Grand Abolisher Aven Mindcensor being some of the better ones. But there's a lot to choose from and depending on your meta, there might be some that work better.
I don't have much experience with the hate bear archetype. This is my only white deck, but I should give it a try. Having a few would make Imperial Recruiter and Recruiter of the Guard more impactful. Find answer cards as well threats. Imposing Sovereign and Hushbringer both have my attention. *Edit* I noticed while doing a quick proof read that Hushbringer would shut down my Ogre Battledriver. That is a big no. I'm going to need to keep looking.

While googling my options for hate bears I came across Cartographer's Hawk, which feels like a good choice. At the very least it is a body with evasion.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

I really like what you're doing here. I've got some experience with related builds, so might be able to chip in a bit:
  • There are some auras that return themselves to your hand upon hitting the bin. These feel like they'd work nicely here, as then you're not stuck paying extra to pick them back up in response to disruption, so they're more fire and forget. The particularly relevant ones are Brilliant Halo, Fiery Mantle and Spirit Loop.
  • Gryff's Boon is another thing you can technically pick up from the bin, and flying for a W is no slouch either.
  • A gameplay pattern I can see forming will be you stacking Wyleth with stuff, and someone popping him at start of combat. It's likely that this will be targeted interaction. Deflecting Swat costs an arm and a leg, but could be of use here. Keep an eye on his stats in some number of games to evaluate whether Bolt Bend would routinely happen for R. I'd also unironically consider stuff like Gods Willing - colour protection should blank spot removal.
  • You should consider a little bit of equipment. Swiftfoot Boots grants you spot removal immunity once you put them on Wyleth, so you can pile the auras high and go refuel in combat. Helm of the Gods is good for beefiness, I hear.
  • Thought Vessel is a low opportunity cost hand size expander.
  • Mesa Enchantress draws the cards.
  • The removal auras are cute, but removal should come function first, cuteness second. Path to Exile is cheap these days thanks to copious reprinting, and Generous Gift is solid too.
  • I'm not fully on board with the bits of double strike, heroic etc., but I guess you need to gauge how these perform in game. Ogre Battledriver should go for sure - you're not exactly wide.dec, and it's a four mana piece that doesn't do a lot for you in a deck with a nonexistent curve.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Gamazson

That you both for the feedback. This is what I am currently thinking.

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Aggro Enchantress Revised

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Gamazson 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

Neon Dynasty has me pretty excited for this deck. Not many cards have been officially spoiled yet, but Light-Paws and the new modified mechanic gives me hope that there will be some new toys to try out.

My current build is below. As spoilers start to become official, I look forward to tweaking it.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander

Equipment

Approximate Total Cost:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”