Ever wondered how to Shrike?

Antis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Antis » 3 years ago

Copy/Paste Personal EDH Philosophy Bit
In building my decks, my end goal is "strong but fair". In other words, I want to win, yes, but not at the expense of fun. For me, that means:
  • No infinite combos
  • No MLD
  • Very few discard/countermagic/tutors
  • Try to limit format staples only to decks they fit mechanically or thematically
There are exceptions, but these are my general rules. The bit about tutors is there because if I wanted to play the same cards every game, I wouldn't be playing Commander =)
Additional tag: Illegal

Hello, everyone! I've gotten my first post out of the way, so now I can choose any of my remaining decks to post. Now, my long-term goal is to have a deck of every kind and while I have yet to formulate a clear definition of that term, I'm positive that one of the "kind"s is "a deck with an illegal commander". So, here it is:

For a somewhat old-timey, experienced EDH player (you know, the type who still sometimes says "EDH" instead of "Commander"), the first card that comes to mind when they see Evershrike is Uril, the Miststalker. My goal with Evershrike is to play a more interesting, less frustrating version of Uril. 'Shrike has the same "+2/+2 per Aura on it" bonus as Uril, but it trades three points in both stats for built-in flying, and perhaps most importantly, it trades hexproof for the ability to turn every single Aura card in the deck into an instant-speed, uncounterable reanimation spell for itself. I swear, people I play with tell me this is still less frustrating that Uril's hexproof, hard as it may be to believe. But yeah, Evershrike's ability means all my Auras are no longer dead cards if I don't have a creature out. Topdecking an Aura with an empty board is suddenly a good thing. It also means I almost never have to care about such peasant frivolities like the commander tax. Now, the last difference between Uril and 'Shrike is the color identity. Not having red and green means no easy haste and/or trample access, which is a bummer for a Voltron deck. Now, the lack of haste is mitigated by me being able to reanimate my commander at the end of an opponent's turn, the lack of trample is mitigated by flying, so you know, not too salty about that loss in the end. On the other hand, having black means access to black Auras, which is a group of cards very few decks tap into, which in turn is another reason I like this deck. Now, what does this look like in practice? Let's see the list:

Evershrike

General

Sphere of Safety

Approximate Total Cost:

The plan is basic Voltron: play my commander, put a bunch of Auras on it, punch face. To help me survive until then, I use my black access to get some cool removal, plus some of my Auras can be used on my opponents' creatures to neutralize them. As I mentioned, since Auras are never dead cards with Evershrike, I can play a hefty package of them. I have some that make 'Shrike harder to kill, some that punish my opponents for killing it, some that return to my hand when they die so I can use them to bring back my commander over and over again, some draw me cards, etc. I especially like those that don't even have to be on Evershrike to harm opponents and/or benefit me. For example, Casting of Bones causes me to draw three cards and discard one of them when the enchanted creature dies. Not the controller of the creature, ME. I fel that most of the cards are pretty self-explanatory, but I'd still like to give special mention to a few of them:
  • Fallen Ideal — This one is special because in this particlar deck, it's a sacrifice outlet that's extremely hard to get rid of. The one way my opponents may make me put Evershrike into the command zone and pay the tax is by exiling it. Fallen Ideal means I can sacrifice it to escape that fate, then the Aura returns to my hand, ready to bring Evershrike back like nothing happened.
  • Prison Term — An awesome Pacifism variant that I can use to revive my general, then let it move onto an opponent's creature to do its thing. And once again, with Evershrike in my graveyard, I can do it at instant speed in response to somebody else casting a creature.
  • Orzhov Charm — I have no idea why it's the black/white charm that does it, but the first mode on this card is "Return target creature you control and all Auras you control attached to it to their owner's hand". Not the it's relevant that often, but it sure is convenient.
...Why the heck have I not gotten myself a Spirit Loop, yet?

Antis, out.
Last edited by Antis 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

This looks very amusing. A few thoughts...

-I don't see that many P/T boosting auras. Are most of your stats just coming from Evershrike's +2/+2 per aura?
-any interest in including Sram, Senior Edificer or Retether?
-Winds of Rath also seems like a logical inclusion.

Antis

@Mookie:

With just two Auras on it, Evershrike is already 6/6. If any of those Auras grant just +1 power, it turns my general into a three-turn flying clock. There are 19 Auras currently in the deck that can make this happen. In other words, a three-turn clock is easily achievable, yet not such a terrifying threat that it makes me the main target of the table. An ideal situation for mid-game. Hope is that by late game, I'll have drawn into at least one of the big guns.

I keep forgetting that Sram draws cards for Auras, too. I have a foil copy I laid off of my Equipment deck somewhere, I think. Should definitely add him.

Retether (and potentially Replenish) are nice, though I'm happy with just returning the Auras to my hand with the cards I have, since then I can use them to revive Evershrike. Because it doesn't have hexproof like Uril, there's the danger of him getting killed in response to Retether. That's why I'm using Crystal Shards. Any suggestions as to what I could drop? I'd like to keep the Aura count where it is.

Winds should probably go in, but again, what to cut?

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

What do you think of Hateful Eidolon?
I love Evershrike. Built around it and Spirit Loop long long ago.

Great idea for an illegal commander.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Antis

Thanks! The Eidolon seems interesting. On-theme card draw always is. Yeah, I haven't really checked the newer sets too thoroughly, yet, since I only rarely can go out and play these days. Stupid 2020.
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Built around it and Spirit Loop long long ago.
You mean like a 60-card deck?

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Antis wrote:
3 years ago
Thanks! The Eidolon seems interesting. On-theme card draw always is. Yeah, I haven't really checked the newer sets too thoroughly, yet, since I only rarely can go out and play these days. Stupid 2020.
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Built around it and Spirit Loop long long ago.
You mean like a 60-card deck?
Ya 60 cards. Had so much fun with it.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Antis

Gotcha. It's fun as a Commander deck, too. Like I said in the writeup, it's a more interesting, more friendly Uril. And I've had a Uril player in my group for many years, so I know what I'm talking about when I say that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”