Lukka, Eldrazi Polymorph [MONO-RED]

tSygna
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by tSygna » 3 years ago

I love Eldrazi, and wanted ways to cheat them out early and repeatedly based on my Commander. I haven't seen any Lukka decks while searching online, so I am really looking forward to your ideas and feedback. Decklist is here: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lukka-e ... 1603602440

I have only played about 5 games so far, but once I got turn 1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, with follow on Eldrazi each turn after. Usually turn 3 or 4 Eldrazi though.

There are only 5 game-ending creatures in the deck, so Lukka will always fetch one of them from sacrificing a token or an enemy creature that you take with cards like Wrangle.

Alternate ways to tutor and cheat out your creatures with Planar Bridge and Divergent Transformations. Disruption with Blood Moon, Pyroblast, and Ruination etc.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

It's a lot more handy to look at, if you add your decklist to it on MTGN. There you go:
Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Overall i'm mostly puzzled.
Technically Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast isn't a legal commander - unless house ruled or something.
Even if so, there's a plethora of cards not within its color identity. Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, Boros Signet, Gruul Signet, Izzet Signet, Rakdos Signet, Talisman of Creativity, Talisman of Impulse, Talisman of Indulgence, ...
How are you going to use Braid of Fire mana? Once you move to your first main phase your mana pool empties and i don't see you having a lot of ways to spend it during your upkeep.
Is Molten Echoes really worth it? Most of your nontoken creatures are legendary, so you won't be able to keep the copy. There are better ways to virtually only achieve haste.

As for the overall idea, it looks like a fine one trick pony.

tSygna
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by tSygna » 3 years ago

Thanks for all the tips including listing the deck so it's easy to see.

I'm new to EDH, and getting back into Magic again so it seems I am confused and the deck isn't legal. What are the rules for Planeswalkers as commanders?

Also, I understood that artifacts that don't have any colored mana in their casting cost are colorless which I could therefore use in this deck. However I seem to be confused and wrong in this matter too?

Thanks for the help and feedback - too bad if it's not legal!

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Welcome!
Commander takes a few tries to fully parse the rules.
tSygna wrote:
3 years ago
What are the rules for Planeswalkers as commanders?
The commander choice rule is fairly straight forward:
1. Players choose a legendary creature as the commander for their deck.
Planeswalkers aren't normally allowed as commanders at all — except there are a few Planeswalkers with card text that specifically says "(This card) can be your commander". Those are the only planeswalkers allowed as commanders.
tSygna wrote:
3 years ago
I understood that artifacts that don't have any colored mana in their casting cost are colorless which I could therefore use in this deck. However I seem to be confused and wrong in this matter too?
There's two concepts to grok here: Color and Color Identity.
Color is your normal magic concept: Artifacts are usually colorless, red cards are red, etc.
Color Identity is slightly more: It is the colors of the card plus all colors of colored mana symbols in that card's cost or text.
2. A card's colour identity is its color plus the colour of any mana symbols in the card's rules text. A card's color identity is established before the game begins, and cannot be changed by game effects. The cards in a deck may not have any colours in their color identity which are not in the colour identity of the deck's commander.
In example, your Rakdos Signet

This card's color is Colorless, since it has no colored symbols in its casting cost.
It's Color Identity, however, is Red and Black. It's colorless and has a red symbol on it and a black symbol on it, thus we add all of this together for .

If you have a commander that only has the color identity Red, then all of your cards have to also have a color identity of red or colorless. As such, you'd need mana artifacts that only tap for colorless or red. Interestingly, you can also include artifacts that tap "for any color" since they don't have a non-red symbol on them.
Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, Fire Diamond, Heart of Ramos, Foriysian Totem, etc.

:)
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”