Oona, Queen of the Fae - "I will eat your library!"

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

WORK IN PROGRESS

I probably won't actually purchase this but wanted to build it as a thought experiment. Feel free to chime in here with your thoughts.

I didn't want to go full on combo (I know there are several infinite mana combos that can be used), but rather do the faerie tribal thing but still lean into control pretty heavily. Going the tribal route enables some other pretty decent engines in the deck like Kindred Discovery and Dire Undercurrents

Oona's ability is quite unique and I wanted to build around that a little more by running Training Grounds , Wizened Snitches, and Lantern of Insight to preemptively exile useful cards.

There's some other little funny combos in here like Leyline of Anticipation and Faerie Tauntings
Decklist

LANDS

Basics

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by RowanKeltizar 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Tags:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

I really wish that Wizards could be a bit more creative with their cards. I have started to notice how so many decks are fairly cookie cutter copies of others. For example, any non green deck needs to run artifact ramp to keep up. Cyclonic Rift goes is basically every single blue deck, Kindred Discovery is good for every blue tribal deck. Gets a bit repetitive after a while.

I like how we have some nice alternatives to mana rocks in mono red like Mana Echoes, Battle Hymn, and Sneak Attack. But what about for other colors?

For Dimir I would love to see something like this
1BU
Instant

Until end of turn, for each card put into target player's graveyard, you may add B or U to your mana pool. You lose 1 life for each card chosen this way.
You could also put this on a creature to make a bit less abusable. But the take away here is that each color or color combination should have its own tools to approach universal game mechanics like mana.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I play Alela, Artful Provocateur for a bit of a Faerie sub-theme. Military Intelligence and Coastal Piracy for more draw. Vampiric Rites and Dark Prophecy are options as well.

Attrition for some removal.

Training Grounds is just too limited in use. You are better off just play a Fellwar Stone.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
I really wish that Wizards could be a bit more creative with their cards. I have started to notice how so many decks are fairly cookie cutter copies of others. For example, any non green deck needs to run artifact ramp to keep up. Cyclonic Rift goes is basically every single blue deck, Kindred Discovery is good for every blue tribal deck. Gets a bit repetitive after a while.

I like how we have some nice alternatives to mana rocks in mono red like Mana Echoes, Battle Hymn, and Sneak Attack. But what about for other colors?

For Dimir I would love to see something like this
1BU
Instant

Until end of turn, for each card put into target player's graveyard, you may add B or U to your mana pool. You lose 1 life for each card chosen this way.
You could also put this on a creature to make a bit less abusable. But the take away here is that each color or color combination should have its own tools to approach universal game mechanics like mana.
I guess..
Blue is High Tide (then untap land effects).
White is Smoothing Tithe.
Black is Swamp mana doubling like Cabal Coffers, Crypt Ghast, etc.

But 100% agree that Wizards needs to get more creative with ideas on alternative ramp outside of Green as the methods and card pool is stale.
I like your 1BU instant, I think it's potentially balanced enough. You normally have to spend mana to wipe a player board so investing 3 in the first place means that you really going to need to get rid of a lot of players permanents to get advantages out of it.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Looks pretty great. Have you considered Painter's Servant for better exile-to-faerie-token parity? I think this might be one of the only 'fair' uses for Painter's.

Even people running 5-colour won't escape the faerie spawn at that rate (though, it might put you too far ahead with Ashnod's Altar).

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Thanks guys, I went ahead and made most of the suggested edits.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic