Nikara & Yannik - Punk rock died

cheonice
Death to Chronos.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Punk rock died, when the first kid said 'Punk's not dead, Punk's not dead'*

:rimshot:

History and Strategy

Nikara, Lair Scavenger and Yannik, Scavenging Sentinel tick quite some of my boxes. They support +1/+1 counters, don't focus on graveyard shenanigans and are some kind of underdogs. In addition to that @darrenhabibs decklist looked really fun and I couldn't resist.

Let's see, what they are capable of! The powerlevel should be somewhere between 6 and 7.

+1/+1 counters
Nikara, Lair Scavenger is the reason this theme works. She makes everybody think twice before they wrath, which is a real problem for counter decks. Yannik, Scavenging Sentinel provides counters to all your creatures, so we can dive into some synergies like Rishkar, Peema Renegade. He even combos with Karmic Guide (which is not in the deck atm). Good-Fortune Unicorn and her friends support all of our creatures with counters.

Ramp
This is the place, where cards like Incubation Druid really shine! And every Birds of Paradise with a counter is a potential carddraw.

Removal Suite
I really like the removal spells Orzhov provides (Anguished Unmaking, Utter End), but never had a deck to put them in.

Onedrop subtheme
Another card I wanted to play for years is Ranger of Eos, but no deck had enough one-drops. With Carrion Feeder, Mother of Runes, Caustic Caterpillar, Planar Guide], [card]Spore Frog and Scute Mob there will allways be a target for the ranger.

Decklist

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Future Considerations

Changes

Harvest SeasonWood Elves
Soul-Guide LanternRemorseful Cleric
Last edited by cheonice 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Looks good :)

My only suggestions are to try and use creatures to fill in roles where possible over non-creature cards for the obvious bonuses.

Kodama's ReachWood Elves

I didn't think about the infinite's you can get with persist creatures with Juniper Order Ranger, Good-Fortune Unicorn, Renata, Called to the Hunt and a sacrifice outlet.
You can literally blow up all of your opponents non-creature permanents with Woodfall Primus and get infinite life with Kitchen Finks.
Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit can also go infinite with Kitchen Finks, but you can't with Woodfall Primus as its toughness is higher than Anafenza at the very least.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Thanks :) The first two games went really well. I did not win, but the deck did, what it is supposed to do.

Yeps, these are easy swaps, maybe I have a spare copy of Remorseful Cleric...and I nee to find my Wood Elves or another mana elf.

Puh, the infinites are more like plan C, but yeah they could work as an out in drawn-out games. I will have a look on them. If I ever want to focus on them Altar of Dementia could be a great outlet.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Looks awesome! A few notes:

- If you are struggling to find a copy of Wood Elves, Yavimaya Dryad is only slightly worse (and arguably sometimes better). I also think Channeler Initiate, Fertilid, or Yavimaya Elder are reasonable in your list. I haven't loved Harvest Season even in a dedicated tokens deck so I'd consider one of these instead.

- Conclave Mentor is a new Hardened Scales effect with a nifty burst of lifegain at the end. Maybe better than Pollenbright Druid?

- Walking Ballista and Hangarback Walker are fetchable by Ranger of Eos and do awesome things in this deck even if they don't reliably trigger Nikara. Stonecoil Serpent is also intriguing.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Thanks a lot!

The first few changes based on sour suggestions:
Harvest SeasonWood Elves

Pollenbright Druid will be replaced by Conclave Mentor, when my cards finally arrive.
Kodama's Reach is a pet card... so for the moment it stays.
I totally missed on the X-creatures! Finally an excuse to play Hangarback Walker!

What do you think of Basri's Lieutenant? He seems to be a very solid addition, especially because he digs into similar holes like Nikara.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”