Athreos, the Shroud-Veiled - Enchantress reanimator

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

This deck is a bit of a work in progress but figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone is looking for something like this.

This is another one of my "enchantress but try to avoid needing an actual enchantress to generate CA." So I generate cards through Athreos' ability and reanimating fatties. The reanimator theme is not *huge* and I'm not casting Buried Alive, but I do have the pretty sweet combo of Final Parting for Animate Dead + Archon of Falling Stars to set up infinite deaths. There's a small lands theme to support some of the graveyard shenanigans with cards likes Bazaar of Baghdad High Market Phyrexian Tower Hall of Heliod's Generosity Volrath's Stronghold.

I didn't have quite enough plains to support Emeria, the Sky Ruin sadly, need a lot more plains duals to make that work I think.

The other kinda subtheme is playing minimal mana rocks and ramping hard on lands with stuff like Kor Cartographer Knight of the White Orchid etc to generate slower but more resilient ramp. I somehow forgot to put Myriad Landscape in there but it's on the list to dig one out. The reason there is to play Stony Silence at some point, when I make room.

The deck functions essentially as o-ring tribal with a pretty resilient big mana endgame (with nykthos, coffers, sanctum and city), and can make a pretty good living cheating Raz or Vilis, Broker of Blood or looping Ashen Rider with Athreos' ability.

There's a lot of overlap with my old mono white Golos deck, including the Opalescence combo.
Athreos Enchantments

Commander

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

I got one game in with it so far and it won pretty triumphantly, locking the table out of damage with Martyr's Cause and stealing a Faerie Artisans with Athreos' ability. At one point I was able to stymie an Expropriate by killing my own Academy Rector to skybind my Cabal Coffers back, essentially blanking the turn and forcing them to abort and pop o-stone, from which I recovered quite smoothly.

Very interested in thoughts on things I missed - I realize the low-rock build is not for everyone, but it seems to function :)

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

The only discard outlet you have is Bazaar of Baghdad. With so much reanimation you definitely want some discard outlets.

Luminous Broodmoth seems better than Nightmare Shepherd, although quite a few of your creatures do have flying. Exiling creatures is actually a big downside not having access to them anymore (reanimation and further Athreos) and the interactions with Nightmare and the coins seems like its awkward.
You have to exile the creature as its dies, and so trying to use the coin interaction won't work. You have to choose one or the other as far as I can tell.

39 lands seems like a lot, considering you are not that unhappy about being behind in lands with Weathered Wayfarer, Knight of the White Orchid, Boreas Charger, Tithe. Plus Crucible of Worlds, The Birth of Meletis, Expedition Map.

It almost seems criminal not to play Emeria Shepherd in your deck! I mean you have Brought Back, Faith's Reward, Sevinne's Reclamation to bring back fetches Prismatic Vista, Marsh Flats, Windswept Heath, Polluted Delta, Flooded Strand, Fabled Passage so that you can crack them for Plains. Crucible of Worlds also shines with an activation every turn.

I'd much prefer to play Mesa Enchantress over Starfield Mystic.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
The only discard outlet you have is Bazaar of Baghdad. With so much reanimation you definitely want some discard outlets.

Luminous Broodmoth seems better than Nightmare Shepherd, although quite a few of your creatures do have flying. Exiling creatures is actually a big downside not having access to them anymore (reanimation and further Athreos) and the interactions with Nightmare and the coins seems like its awkward.
You have to exile the creature as its dies, and so trying to use the coin interaction won't work. You have to choose one or the other as far as I can tell.

39 lands seems like a lot, considering you are not that unhappy about being behind in lands with Weathered Wayfarer, Knight of the White Orchid, Boreas Charger, Tithe. Plus Crucible of Worlds, The Birth of Meletis, Expedition Map.

It almost seems criminal not to play Emeria Shepherd in your deck! I mean you have Brought Back, Faith's Reward, Sevinne's Reclamation to bring back fetches Prismatic Vista, Marsh Flats, Windswept Heath, Polluted Delta, Flooded Strand, Fabled Passage so that you can crack them for Plains. Crucible of Worlds also shines with an activation every turn.

I'd much prefer to play Mesa Enchantress over Starfield Mystic.
So interestingly I've had a pretty easy time discarding to hand size by jamming my hand full of lands. But there's also Final Parting.

If I can think of any discard outlets that are on enchantments and do something useful to the gameplan I'm not opposed to adding some, for sure. Sooner or later I'm going to find my missing copy of Land Tax and throw that in there as another way.

I think Luminous Broodmoth might be really good in addition, but the reason Shepherd is there is because he's an enchantment so has some nice synergies with that. My thought on shepherd was to use him on stuff I wouldn't want to bother coining (or coining again) - all the little guys and other people's stuff that I have stolen. Say you steal something big from someone off a coin, you can avoid giving it back by sac'ing it and shepherding it. That might just be trying to be too big brained I guess though :P

The thing with the land count is mostly that it's really more like 37 (city and bazaar are not reliable mana producers), and with a 6 mana commander without lots of rocks it's very sketchy. I do think the land count could go down about 2 but I wanted to see how it played. Thus far I am seeing right about as much mana as I want. The deck seems to play very long games and I seem to be hitting my land drops almost exactly.

I think you're right that I could fit Emeria Shepherd , and honestly with all the fetch abuse and plains tutors I might be able to support Emeria with just 1 or 2 more plains. The issue there is going to 10/4 or 9/5 split of plains-swamps I basically am never going to make Coffers work without urborg. I really wish we had those 2 extra typed duals in Orzhov :(

Starfield Mystic is ramp not card draw; my enchantment count is low enough I am never going to be chaining enchantments for draws, but I might want to cast 2 in a turn (it makes the combo turn of parallax+opalescence cost 6 instead of 8, which is pretty big business). Ramping into the commander is also a pretty nice bonus.

You have any thoughts on discard outlets on enchantments that would put in work? Tortured Existence is one I considered. I also toyed with the idea of Enduring Renewal which this deck seems like it might be well suited for (acting as another Athreos, basically).

edit: some mill outlets might not be horrible either, but I can't find any of those in WB. Gravebreaker Lamia was on my list but got cut in the end cos it's not super synergistic with anything else. It's a bummer black doesn't really have much looting. Dark Deal is OK but again kinda non-synergistic.

I could add some more lands (Geier Reach Sanitarium for example?).

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
So interestingly I've had a pretty easy time discarding to hand size by jamming my hand full of lands. But there's also Final Parting.

If I can think of any discard outlets that are on enchantments and do something useful to the gameplan I'm not opposed to adding some, for sure. Sooner or later I'm going to find my missing copy of Land Tax and throw that in there as another way.

You have any thoughts on discard outlets on enchantments that would put in work? Tortured Existence is one I considered. I also toyed with the idea of Enduring Renewal which this deck seems like it might be well suited for (acting as another Athreos, basically).

Some mill outlets might not be horrible either, but I can't find any of those in WB. Gravebreaker Lamia was on my list but got cut in the end cos it's not super synergistic with anything else. It's a bummer black doesn't really have much looting. Dark Deal is OK but again kinda non-synergistic.

I could add some more lands (Geier Reach Sanitarium for example?).
I've been playing my Niambi, Esteemed Speaker reanimation deck a lot, and so I'm super sensitive to knowing how important getting cards into the graveyard is. Even with a discard outlet from the commander zone, I'm still bottle-necked at times with not enough reanimation targets.

However if you want to rely solely on Bazaar then you can back this up with a few more tutors. Beseech the Queen is a good one for lands. Also Coffers or Urborg can be tutored.

Discard outlets I would consider, Rankle, Master of Pranks and Yawgmoth, Thran Physician both have discard outlets and a way to sacrifice creatures.
The thing with the land count is mostly that it's really more like 37 (city and bazaar are not reliable mana producers), and with a 6 mana commander without lots of rocks it's very sketchy. I do think the land count could go down about 2 but I wanted to see how it played. Thus far I am seeing right about as much mana as I want. The deck seems to play very long games and I seem to be hitting my land drops almost exactly.

I think you're right that I could fit Emeria Shepherd , and honestly with all the fetch abuse and plains tutors I might be able to support Emeria with just 1 or 2 more plains. The issue there is going to 10/4 or 9/5 split of plains-swamps I basically am never going to make Coffers work without urborg. I really wish we had those 2 extra typed duals in Orzhov :(
I mean what two or more color deck expect to get value out of Coffers without Urborg? None is the answer, it never happens. So you don't even need to think about Coffers without Urborg as a functioning card.
The deck ratio is 3:1 white, so you could easily go down a couple of Swamps.

With all the effects with opponents having more lands, I would add Orzhov Basilica. That even gives you the option to Turn 2 play it and then discard a fatty due to hand size to reanimate the next turn.
Starfield Mystic is ramp not card draw; my enchantment count is low enough I am never going to be chaining enchantments for draws, but I might want to cast 2 in a turn (it makes the combo turn of parallax+opalescence cost 6 instead of 8, which is pretty big business). Ramping into the commander is also a pretty nice bonus.
I think the "enchantments cost less" are one the biggest traps in all of Magic.
Lets do some simple addition.
Starfield Mystic has 22 benefits of cost reduction. Pearl Medallion has 35. Does the +1/+1 counters of Mystic matter? Of course not.

I was just saying I'd prefer draw to ramp with this deck. For that matter Phyrexian Arena should find a spot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”