The Scarab God

OCPunisher
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
Still looking for a Tale's End. Figure 2 cards to stop the Bojuka Bog effects would be nice to have. Also looking at some decent spot removal and counters. My best counter unfortunately is in my Locust God deck. So finding efficient counters beyond what I have is tough.
This is why I try my hardest to focus on reanimating stuff from someone else's yard. Filling up your own yard with reanimation targets is easy, but it's just as easy to get your yard exiled, and then where are you? Conversely, if you focus on someone else's yard, it either gets exiled and the opponent is out those cards, or it doesn't and you get to reanimate something cool.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

Tags:

Reaper_RM

Post by Reaper_RM » 3 years ago

Update:

Since a lot of us have been going crazy over Double Masters, I haven't had much time to go over any results as of late. But I have been packing some really spicy cards.

One thing of note: Syr Konrad, the Grim is bonkers and I thank you all for the suggestion. This guy has given me alot of games, people are scared to bored wipe with him out. Graveyard decks hate him and if I get Altar of the Brood and/or Mindcrank out its devastating. Probably the 2nd saltiest card in there with Hostage Taker being #1 atm.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
Update:

Since a lot of us have been going crazy over Double Masters, I haven't had much time to go over any results as of late. But I have been packing some really spicy cards.

One thing of note: Syr Konrad, the Grim is bonkers and I thank you all for the suggestion. This guy has given me alot of games, people are scared to bored wipe with him out. Graveyard decks hate him and if I get Altar of the Brood and/or Mindcrank out its devastating. Probably the 2nd saltiest card in there with Hostage Taker being #1 atm.
He fits in a pretty staggering amount of decks, and the amount of work he does is nuts for an uncommon. I'm glad he worked out well!
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Reaper_RM

Update: Making a couple changes to phase away from the Gravecrawler combo and Archfiend/Wheel removal. Also making one meta call change.

Out:
Archfiend of Ifnir
Graveborn Muse
Necropotence

In:
Mind's Dilation
Notion Thief
Night's Whisper

I feel like Mind's Dilation will work here very well as it'll let me snag some very nice things.

Notion Thief is definitley something I want around as part of the control aspect. Taking away my opponents draws are very nice.

Meta Call:

I know I am gonna catch some flak for this, but I have decided to remove Necropotence for the time being. Everytime I play this deck, I am automatically public enemy #1. With Necro out, I get stuck not being able to get cards because I get focused down quickly. I figure till I get rid of the rest of the Gravecrawler combo stuff and change this up more to a control shell, I would just add a draw spell in it's place. It does pain me to drop this awesome card, but it'll save me some heat in the long run.

Watch List:

Bolas's Citadel
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

While both these card are great, I'm not really seeing a need for them right now. With the removal of Necropotence, Citadel becomes much weaker. But it would still be strong as it still gives me access to cast the top card of my library, effectively "making my hand size bigger." As far as Jin goes, if I can pull off the early entomb/reanimate, it's awesome, althought I wind up discarding a lot. Mid/late game, I'd rather spend my mana on something else honestly.

Gwathnar

Post by Gwathnar » 3 years ago

I like the list, I too fell for the trap of Zombie tribal before ditching it and going with a Control/Reanimator shell with some mill sprinkled in.

I really enjoy Oracle of Dust in my list. Being able to loot and get back something I've already taken from someone elses yard is great. Sire of Stagnation works well with the Oracle too.
I'm also enjoying Gyruda, Doom of Depths, such a blow out when he hits.

Countersquall and Dimir Charm are also great cheap counterspells.

I've yet to port my list over here but should, here's a link to it on Archidekt if you are interested: https://archidekt.com/decks/214778#The_ ... od_Control

Reaper_RM

Gwathnar wrote:
3 years ago
I've yet to port my list over here but should, here's a link to it on Archidekt if you are interested
Very nice build, albeit an expensive $$$ one.

I saw a few cards in your list I wouldn't mind trying out myself.

Sire of Stagnation has a nice effect. At 6 cmc though, wouldn't we be better off just running the 3 cmc enchantments that mill? Nonetheless, it is worth considering as I move forward tuning the deck.

Gwathnar

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
Gwathnar wrote:
3 years ago
I've yet to port my list over here but should, here's a link to it on Archidekt if you are interested
Very nice build, albeit an expensive $$$ one.

I saw a few cards in your list I wouldn't mind trying out myself.

Sire of Stagnation has a nice effect. At 6 cmc though, wouldn't we be better off just running the 3 cmc enchantments that mill? Nonetheless, it is worth considering as I move forward tuning the deck.
Thankfully I had a lot of the pieces for it in my collection already.

I usually never hard cast Sire so the 6 cmc doesn't really bug me.
Speak of 3 cmc mill enchantments, I just added Teferi's Tutelage but haven't updated the list yet.

Reaper_RM

Update:

Rotating more of the zombie tribal/gravecrawler comb stuff out.

Out:
Phyrexian Delver
Plague Belcher
Diregraf Captain
Undead Augur
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

In:
Coffin Queen
Phyrexian Metamorph
Psychic Strike
Didn't Say Please
Clever Impersonator

Coffin Queen seems like she fits here, as it lets me grab out of my opponents graveyards and if exiles the card if I untap or lose her. The two clones seem relevant as I can copy pretty much anything with them. Lastly, couple more counterspells that mill my opponent seem like a good idea.

OCPunisher

I think you're headed in the right direction. The only thing I would do is put Mikaeus back in for the Coffin Queen. Mikaeus is awesome in a deck full of creatures, and the more ETB value guys you play, the more you'll like Mikaeus. Coffin Queen is basically just a worse Scarab God.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

RIP zombie tribal lol

honestly, I am just a sucker for tribal and I try to make it work even if there are better options sometimes, but I'm happy to see you are customizing this deck to fit your playstyle.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

toctheyounger

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
RIP zombie tribal lol

honestly, I am just a sucker for tribal and I try to make it work even if there are better options sometimes, but I'm happy to see you are customizing this deck to fit your playstyle.
I mean not every decks supports tribal, and I feel like Scarab it's a bit tough to edge in for a really strong build. There aren't a ton of really good zombie tribal commanders tbh. Even dedicated ones like Gisa and Geralf and Grimgrin, Corpse-Born are tough to make really savage and still be true to that theme.

Reaper_RM

Thanks for the comments everyone! When I got some time I'll discuss them properly.

Now I want to mention Didn't Say Please. That counterspell is on theme for the deck. More importantly if any of you catch the movie reference? I did the the whole bit first time I played it and the group got a good laugh. Now everyone says please before casting anything.

OCPunisher

My general rule of thumb on all counters is this:
- The primary purpose is to protect your commander, so they need to be super cheap to cast. Usually I draw the line at two mana or less.
- Alternately, you could staple it onto a really flexible modal spell. Mystic Confluence is a common example.

Synergies aside, I probably wouldn't run a 3-mana counter, even if it does make for some funny moments in-game. Give me a simple Negate any day.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

I second the previous statement. Little by little I've taken out every counterspell in my Niv-Mizzet list that is over 2cmc. 1U or U is really the the sweet spot, while FREE is the ideal. That is why cards like Force of Will, Force of Negation, and Fierce Guardianship command such a high price tag.

1U "alternate effects" Conditional U Flusterstorm - I've gotten good use out of this. Very useful in a counter-war when mana is especially tight.

Decent 1U, UU or UB

Tale's End - has its uses
Logic Knot - good for a deck with a consistent graveyard
Muddle the Mixture - also a tutor
Rites of Refusal - good for a deck like mine that draws a ton of cards
Scent of Brine - good for a deck that's mostly blue

Free counters:
Mindbreak Trap one of my favorite semi-budget free counterspells. I absolutely love the fact that this exiles spells instead of countering them. It also totally stops storm based win-cons.
Foil - the fact that you need to have an island in hand can certainly be a turn off but it can work
Pact of Negation - worth the investment
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Reaper_RM

I've been looking at alternatives where I can, till I can make investments on better cards. So far I have been really pleased with the changes I have made. They are working out very well. The deck has become a mid-late game nightmare for my opponents. Which is exactly what I wanted to achieve with this deck. I'm able to come at them from enough angles they don't know what to do most the time. Also, I have been watching the spoilers to see if anything coming out might be useful, but so far I haven't seen anything.

Update:

Out:
Vengeful Dead

In:
Spark Double

Getting rid of another card that supports the Gravecrawler combo. It's replacement is a very good clone imo. This one could wreck some havoc, specially with the non-legendary clause. 2 Scarab Gods on my side seems fun lol.

toctheyounger

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
I've been looking at alternatives where I can, till I can make investments on better cards. So far I have been really pleased with the changes I have made. They are working out very well. The deck has become a mid-late game nightmare for my opponents. Which is exactly what I wanted to achieve with this deck. I'm able to come at them from enough angles they don't know what to do most the time. Also, I have been watching the spoilers to see if anything coming out might be useful, but so far I haven't seen anything.

Update:

Out:
Vengeful Dead

In:
Spark Double

Getting rid of another card that supports the Gravecrawler combo. It's replacement is a very good clone imo. This one could wreck some havoc, specially with the non-legendary clause. 2 Scarab Gods on my side seems fun lol.
You could look at Sakashima the Impostor for another option if this one works out, too. I like being able to reset him when needed.

Have you thought about the possibility of expanding your wheel suite, too? I've gone a little heavier on this in my Dralnu list of late with stuff like Whispering Madness and Dark Deal. Seems like a great way to get targets in the yard and hit the cards you need, be it land drops, rocks or whatnot.

Gwathnar

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Have you thought about the possibility of expanding your wheel suite, too? I've gone a little heavier on this in my Dralnu list of late with stuff like Whispering Madness and Dark Deal. Seems like a great way to get targets in the yard and hit the cards you need, be it land drops, rocks or whatnot.
Whispering Madness is straight gas in this deck totally worth a slot.

toctheyounger

Gwathnar wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Whispering Madness is straight gas in this deck totally worth a slot.
The deck already has Notion Thief too, it just seems disgustingly good to run more of windfall effect.

Reaper_RM

I haven't given too much thought about keeping the wheel effects. While I do agree you guys have a vaild point, specially with Notion Thief already in there. I might have to explore this option as well. Maybe Wheel and Deal could fit as well?

toctheyounger

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
Maybe Wheel and Deal could fit as well?
Hmmmm....imo I'd avoid it purely because it's optional. You want to force the wheel, not make it optional. Same reason Flux isn't going to work as well. You could look at Jace's Archivist and Echo of Eons if you like the idea of wheels. I'd probably back the Archivist over Echo, personally, purely because Echo means you lose graveyard fodder.

Then there's things like Prosperity and Temporal Cascade, too. Depends how deep you wanna go with it. It's probably not worth adding these last two just to synergise with Notion Thief, but the discard part of wheels have other ways to get you ahead.

edit - I read Wheel and Deal properly...eventually :P . Could do some work!

Reaper_RM

Ya, I was gonna say, Wheel and Deal lets me choose who wheels lol.

toctheyounger

Reaper_RM wrote:
3 years ago
Ya, I was gonna say, Wheel and Deal lets me choose who wheels lol.
Yeah, I'd thought it was the opponent who chose. I got there in the end. Could be a good add, and I like that its instant speed, too.

OCPunisher

I'm not a fan of forcing other people to wheel right now. There are a lot of spellslinger decks out there who would probably benefit from extra wheels. If your opponents are playing creatures, you're much better off just killing the ones they play than trying to mill them

toctheyounger

OCPunisher wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not a fan of forcing other people to wheel right now. There are a lot of spellslinger decks out there who would probably benefit from extra wheels. If your opponents are playing creatures, you're much better off just killing the ones they play than trying to mill them
I generally feel the same, but I think it's worth acknowledging that there's quite a few times it'll favour you significantly. Partly this is because you're playing into the effect with your commander and whatever else, but partly also because people generally plan around what they have in their hands, and forcing discard means they have to change tack, and that's something that takes some talent; a lot of people tilt and misplay or struggle to adjust to a new grip. Sure, sometimes it'll backfire and you hand someone a bomb draw, but I've generally found this doesn't happen a lot.

Either way, these effects tend to lead to massive acceleration, and being the person that plays it means that momentum usually favours you. Obviously it's something you don't want to do against Xyris, the Writhing Storm or The Locust God (Xyris is gross btw, it can die by fire), or Nekusar, the Mindrazer, but if those aren't in your meta I think you're probably alright to play these. Imo, anyway.

(especially if you have Notion Thief to flash in)

Reaper_RM

There's a Niv-Mizzet, Gaavi and Locust God in my meta(I play the Locust God though). So wheeling will be beneficial to me most the time. I think I'll play around with the wheel idea and see where I want to the extra 2 wheels in at. I think it just might give me the extra angle I've been looking for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”