Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Rionya, Fire Dancer - Combat Storm

Commander (1)

Rionya Targets (15)

Protect the Queen (4)

Removal (4)

Approximate Total Cost:

Alright, here's Version 2.0 with the pivot off of a goblin centered strategy and into a stormier build looking to profit big time off of multiple combat phases and aggressively costed creatures with favorable ETB/attack/death triggers. The big factor in separating what got included from what didn't as far as Rionya targets was evasion. If it didn't have reliable evasion or a trigger that dealt significant noncombat damage, it didn't make it in.

There is a deep card pool of playables for this general, and cuts aren't easy. For example, Breath of Fury goes nuts with Rionya if you stick it on something that can connect without dying in the process. However, I'm not going with Falter-effects-on-legs tribal, and even though it can work on just any old flier or something like Goblin Chainwhirler or Flametongue Kavu that clears the way beforehand, it just felt too gimmicky, no-fun-insta-win-esque, and has huge blowout potential when it doesn't work. My point is, there's lots of good stuff for Rionya that I cut for one reason or another, and maybe I'm just wrong and need to jam some of that stuff back in.
Version 1.0 - Rionya Goblins and the OP
Show
Hide

Rionya, Fire Dancer - Goblin Multiplication

Commander (1)

Removal (4)

Approximate Total Cost:

So, I knew I wanted to build Rionya, Fire Dancer as soon as I saw her, but the question was how?

I think Big Red ETB Monsters, and Dragons, and Giants, Oh My! seemed an obvious route, as did spellslinger + copy opponents' creatures, and as did Transmogrify/Sneak Attack/Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded.dec. Maybe another day. Seems fun.

Then it occured to me: I've been really into compounding anthem effects stapled to creatures lately. Mostly with Mirrorweave or Mystic Reflection, but also Mirror Entity + multiple creature-type lords in play. Attacking with 20+ Angel of Inventions is fun, ya know?

This can be done in mono-red easily enough, but I thought it would be fun to home in on a single tribe and combine their anthemy lords with utility critters and sac outlets to get value before Rionya exiles the tokens. Gee, what mono red tribe has lots of lords and a deep card pool with lots of utility? HMMMMMMM?!?!?!? I wonder? Ok, sarcasm aside, goblins was an obvious choice once I considered this route.

Cool, so if it wasn't obvious already, the goal is to use Rionya's wonderful ability to profit off of a stormy ritual/wheel/loot/rummage/copy filled turn and make as many copies as possible of some goblin with an anthem like effect, then smash. I would very much like to attack with 20+ Goblin Piledrivers, thanks. Or just 10 Goblin Chainwhirlers since there's effectively a board wipe with the deal. That's not too greedy, right?

I don't own some of the top-end gobbos, so no Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Warren Instigator, Dockside Extortionist, Muxus, Goblin Grandee nonsense I'm afraid.

The deckbuilding challenge with this idea is getting ratios right. A true tribal deck trying to also be a true spellslinger deck is awkward since you can't stuff enough creatures OR spells in to be happy either way. I erred on the side of fewer goblins, since really I only need to stick a couple to make my gameplan work. The spellslinging component is what needs to be most consistent, so plenty of card velocity - although it is monored discard and impulse heavy draw stuff. Since I'm looking to be aggressive and proactive, I went light on removal. Feels sketchy, but glass cannons gonna glass cannon.

With the right setup a win is possible without attacking if necessary. Basically if I can get a big enough ritual off (looking at you Battle Hymn and Brightstone Ritual) where I can Reiterate it with buyback and have a net gain in mana after the copy resolves, then I can loop it with the original ritual on the stack. That's arbitrarily huge amounts of mana and storm to dump into Rionya + Goblin Chainwhirler, or Comet Storm, or Goblin Bombardment/Pashalik Mons. I can draw into any of those with Goblin Lore + Underworld Breach, Skullclamp + a sac outlet, or Thrill of Possibility/Cathartic Reunion + the aforementioned Reiterate.

There's lots of little pockets of synergy I'm excited to try. Even something that doesn't necessarily win outright, like Goblin Recruiter for Conspicuous Snoop and Krenko, Mob Boss, cast snoop, make as many snoops as possible, tap em all for Krenko activations. Achievement unlocked.

Anyhow, I know I'm missing some obvious stuff here - per usual. Lots of good cards were cut, and I probably need sense talked into me before I actually go and build this thing. Hit me with it y'all.

Version 2.0 Combat Storm
Show
Hide
Rionya, Fire Dancer - Combat Storm

Commander (1)

Rionya Targets (17)

Protect the Queen (4)

Removal (4)

Approximate Total Cost:

Version 2.0 Changelog

Last edited by MeowZeDung 2 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tags:

MeowZeDung

Well, I've had a slow day at work to mull this one over, and truth be told I think I might just be off the goblin plan. The tension between tribal and spellslinger might just be a little too awkward. Plus there are lots of good non goblin rionya targets low on the curve that won't tax my mana too much while I'm trying to run up a storm/magecraft count. I'm thinking Signal Pest, Kruin Striker, Kessig Malcontents and the like, white still keeping the best goblin targets like Goblin Piledriver and Goblin Wardriver.

Another sticking point is protecting rionya and her targets in monored since spot removal and countermagic can absolutely wreck this gameplan. Tibalt's Trickery and Deflecting Swat only go so far. Reverberate, Shunt, and Wild Ricochet will help. Unfortunately I don't own a Fury Storm or Fork. I guess Ring of Evos Isle is an option.

Suggestions appreciated!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

I think you need
Talk about multiplying goblins...
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

MeowZeDung

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
I think you need
Talk about multiplying goblins...
Yeah, they were in my plans originally, but I veered heavier to the spellslinger side of things and wanted my rionya targets to be primarily creatures that had some hugely multiplicative effect immediately that combat step. Making a jillion tokens is cool, but only really powerful if you also have haste online, or something like Impact Tremors/Goblin Bombardment. That's certainly an option, and we have the technology, but I was more into the splashiness of stacking Goblin Piledriveresque triggers.

I kind of took a day off of thinking about the deck at all to see how I felt afterwards, and I think I am probably going to scrap the goblin focus and just head into the space of designing around cheap, efficient, ETB/attack focused Rionya targets. Kessig Malcontents strikes me as a fun one, and having it enter in multiples reminds me of good times had with Fanatic of Mogis, who is unfortunately a bit more expensive than I'd like since I need to build up a storm count pre-combat.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Rionya has immediately rocketed to the very top tier of copying in my Ghired list, and I see you're trying to apply some similar general ideas here.
  • There's not a ton of insane multiple scaling bodies in red alone. I'd consider Utvara Hellkite for the crazy swarm it offers. Terror of the Peaks kills the table if you get your "spell storm" to 4, but also kills your wallet for reasons I don't understand. Calamity Bearer scales great in multiples, but lacks evasion. Malignus is innately beefy and pretty cheap to cast, yet also lacks evasion.
  • One of the play patterns I've seen in my Ghired games is that Rionya responds sublimely to Nature's Lores and stuff like that. Just cheap cheeser casts that don't use up a lot of mana but bump "spell storm" up, and can easily make it into sequencing the very turn the copy target comes down. You don't get to run those on account of being mono red, but you could consider some one mana cantrips for something vaguely tangential. Crash Through would be great in particular.
  • Another thing I noticed is that I'm happy to cast Rionya early, even if I lack a suitable piece of fat to copy, as I can just make duplicates of the Ghired and permanently keep the Rhinos. You should probably run some of the ETB swarmers to have something to fall back on for permanent board presence.
  • Miscellaneous tech that seems like it would be good - Sundial of the Infinite translates to permanent board presence. Veilstone Amulet is omni-hexproof, bonus points for having some of those cheeser cantrips be instants so this can be triggered more flexibly.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

MeowZeDung

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Rionya has immediately rocketed to the very top tier of copying in my Ghired list, and I see you're trying to apply some similar general ideas here.
Dude, she's dope. I've got another slow day at work and I've been giving scryfall a workout.

Some thoughts:

Sundial of the Infinite is rad here. Good call rumpy.

Agreed on Utvara Hellkite/Terror of the Peaks, but I'm looking to keep the curve way low and also avoid the ol' Transmogrify plan. Fats are certainly an option for this general though.

Scalable threats in red aren't as scarce as I would've thought tbh. The issue is, some suck without rionya in play, so my commander reliance shoots way up. Some I'm considering: And those are just 3cmc and less. 4 and up goes crazy with options like Hellrider, Fanatic of Mogis, Tectonic Giant and so on.

So... Breath of Fury breaks rionya in half with any good evasive creature and some protection. I won't go all in combo with it, but I can't imagine not running it. If anyone's interested, you could just run every Goblin Shortcutter and Crossway Vampire variant, enchant one with breath then win on the spot if it's not immediately answered.

Extra combats in general are great for rionya, so Savage Beating, Seize the Day, and Relentless Assault are all great options. They pair great with critters that give oodles of mana when they etb in multiples, like Wily Goblin, Brazen Freebooter, or that Dockside Extortionist I don't own :P

Saccing is going to be big game. Goblin Bombardment is auto include and Last-Ditch Effort is hilarious.

I think I could either go super aggressive, or try to incorporate some big value off rionya triggers with stuff like Filigree Familiar, Skyscanner, Pilgrim's Eye, Solemn Simulacrum, Priest of Urabrask, etc.

This deck is proving to be quite a puzzle, and I love it. More to come.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

World at War seems like it would be a game-winner in here. The extra swing is great with all this, but then it gets compounded by an extra Rionya trigger, which is then compounded by the second round of War Cry / Piledriver triggers (or whatever nastiness you go with). And then you do it again next turn. :omg:
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

MeowZeDung

Eureka moment that should have happened a lot sooner: Combat Celebrant.

MeowZeDung

Alright, after much hemming and hawing, I think I've landed on a solid second rough draft for the deck. The OP has been edited to reflect changes, so check it out. I need to pick up a few of the cards I'm missing, but then I'll be eagerly shuffling this one up and testing it out. My suspicion is that I can cut back on some of tier 2 "moar mana" and "moar cards" inclusions, but I want to be sure there's enough velocity and card/mana flow in the deck so I can reliably storm off before I do that. I'm also not 100% sold on the "Value" Rionya targets. I feel like I can do better (Dockside Extortionist notwithstanding).

MeowZeDung

Another eureka moment. Humble Defector is great value with rionya. Swapping out Mindless Automaton for him.

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 3 years ago

Ever considered running Coercive Recruiter? I believe all the copies see each other enter.

MeowZeDung

plushpenguin wrote:
3 years ago
Ever considered running Coercive Recruiter? I believe all the copies see each other enter.
Ah, nice catch! I actually have never seen the card before because I didn't play any commander legends. It's like a cheaper Molten Primordial. Cool.

I think 5 is a smidge higher on the curve than I want to go, but the effect is pretty much game ending if you pull it off while the board is clogged with beaters. Build your own Insurrection is powerful and people are less likely to groan about it than actual Insurrection I imagine. I will say that, if you are going to go as high as 5 cmc, I think Coercive Recruiter still gets outclassed by stuff like Terror of the Peaks.

On a semi-related note, I did receive most of the cards I was missing in the mail over the last couple of days, so hopefully this will be in sleeves and played at least a couple of times over the next week or two!

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I really like this deck. It seems fun. I am really looking forward to hearing how it plays.

Hanweir Garrison and Hanweir Battlements seem like they would work well in the deck (since Hanweir Garrison is on curve and Hanweir Battlements is basically slot neutral for a land).

Also what is your thought on just playing a bunch of red, one mana cantrips, like Expedite and Crash Through?

MeowZeDung

@Guardman I think I had written off garrison since the tokens enter tapped and many will inevitably die right away, and I have cheaper token production in Mogg War Marshal and Young Pyromancer (which I keep thinking about including), but you make a good point about free rolling the land. Melding is usually a memey thing, but copying the meld is a solid incentive. scratch that, it's legendary.

As for the cantrips, they were suggested earlier. My issue is that slots are tight, and I think we'd need a bunch of these to do the storm thing. Like, eventually you'll just rip a couple lands in a row and stumble on your storm chain (although these do go great with birgi, steam kin, storm kiln, etc) Wheels are more reliable and more efficient from a deckbuilding standpoint. I did consider a Zada, Hedron Grinder package to make cantrips a bigger thing, but ultimately backed off of them. That might be incorrect, I'll think on them some more.

Glad you like the deck! I swear I'll actually play it soon lol. I played what will likely be my last game with the precons last night and it's time to harvest the good stuff and box up the duds. Rionya was a role player in my game last night too, copying a Living Lore and frerolling a Fiery Encore with storm at 2 for some good board control given the average mv in that prismari deck - so I'm getting warmed up with her :cool:

Edit: so, I have given some more thought to the Threaten effect creatures ever since @plushpenguin mentioned one and I thought I was just off of them. However, in a recent cube game I had my Ugin, the Spirit Dragon nabbed by a Zealous Conscripts. Ermagersh I forgot that card says *permanent*. I think that could be very much worth including to dig out of some crazy board states by grabbing some gross artifacts/enchantments/PWs/lands. Thoughts?

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Edit: so, I have given some more thought to the Threaten effect creatures ever since @plushpenguin mentioned one and I thought I was just off of them. However, in a recent cube game I had my Ugin, the Spirit Dragon nabbed by a Zealous Conscripts. Ermagersh I forgot that card says *permanent*. I think that could be very much worth including to dig out of some crazy board states by grabbing some gross artifacts/enchantments/PWs/lands. Thoughts?
Speaking of Threaten effects, what about Hate Mirage/Heat Shimmer? It ups Ryona's storm count while technically grabbing an opponent's creature.

Also I forgot last night to mention (I was tired :x ) Scourge Devil. While it costs five, it is a good creature to discard since it's Unearth costs 2R, while being a strong Ryona copy target.

MeowZeDung

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Speaking of Threaten effects, what about Hate Mirage/Heat Shimmer? It ups Ryona's storm count while technically grabbing an opponent's creature.

Also I forgot last night to mention (I was tired :x ) Scourge Devil. While it costs five, it is a good creature to discard since it's Unearth costs 2R, while being a strong Ryona copy target.
Good suggestions! Mirage/shimmer can probably replace one or two of the lesser creatures and enable shenanigans with opponents' creatures. I don't own a copy of the devil, but it's super cheap - I just don't know that it can hang with other cheaper battle cry effects even with the gy synergy. Good stuff to mull over. I'll consider devil and very likely find room for the other two.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

So in my endless mulling over ideas for the deck, I realized Anax, Hardened in the Forge might be good for the deck. It requires things like Ogre Battledriver or Anger to give mass haste to make it an instant kill, but it scales really well. For example: at one copy of Anax, you will get four 1/1 satyrs; two copies, twelve 1/1 satyrs; three copies, twenty-four 1/1 satyrs; four copies, forty 1/1 satyrs; etc.

MeowZeDung

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
So in my endless mulling over ideas for the deck, I realized Anax, Hardened in the Forge might be good for the deck. It requires things like Ogre Battledriver or Anger to give mass haste to make it an instant kill, but it scales really well. For example: at one copy of Anax, you will get four 1/1 satyrs; two copies, twelve 1/1 satyrs; three copies, twenty-four 1/1 satyrs; four copies, forty 1/1 satyrs; etc.

Anax triggers on non token creature deaths and himself unfortunately, and rionya copies are tokens, so you would only get one satyr per anax copy I think. Unless the "Anax" trigger happens for each copy simultaneously?

Same thing makes Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge a nonbo here.

This does bring up interesting brewing space with legendaries and etb/death triggers though, assuming the legendary rule counts as a "death" (I think it does?).

Something like Godo, Bandit Warlord + Blade of the Bloodchief and other equips, or nukes like Lathliss, Dragon Queen, Pashalik Mons and Purphoros, God of the Forge.

I'm not positive if the legendaries all "see" each other etb/ltb though, or even if they technically enter. Any insight @WizardMN? Or, if they see each other whether they get an opportunity to tap (I'm guessing no)? If so, then Kiki and Krenko are contenders.

WizardMN
Answers: 126

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

They definitely enter the field so any ETBs will trigger even if you get rid of them very soon after they enter.

With Lathliss, if you create four copies of her then you have 4 Dragons enter. The original sees 4 enter and each of the other 4 see 3 enter (since they don't see themselves enter) so you get 16 Dragons. Or, you would if she didn't require they be nontokens :p I just figured I would use her as an example for the math so hopefully that helps explain the basic idea when if she doesn't actually work.

Unfortunately, you are correct about Kiki and friends. You cannot take an action before dealing with the legend rule. So, triggers could work but activated abilities won't.

I didn't see it in your list, but I got beat down pretty hard when a Rionya player copied Inferno Titan 6 times. Seemed really good.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Guardman wrote:
3 years ago

Anax triggers on non token creature deaths and himself unfortunately, and rionya copies are tokens, so you would only get one satyr per anax copy I think. Unless the "Anax" trigger happens for each copy simultaneously?

Same thing makes Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge a nonbo here.

This does bring up interesting brewing space with legendaries and etb/death triggers though, assuming the legendary rule counts as a "death" (I think it does?).

Something like Godo, Bandit Warlord + Blade of the Bloodchief and other equips, or nukes like Lathliss, Dragon Queen, Pashalik Mons and Purphoros, God of the Forge.

I'm not positive if the legendaries all "see" each other etb/ltb though, or even if they technically enter. Any insight @WizardMN? Or, if they see each other whether they get an opportunity to tap (I'm guessing no)? If so, then Kiki and Krenko are contenders.
Those token/non-token interactions always get me... :fuming:

Legendaries do see themselves and other copies of themselves enter and leave the battlefield if they do so at the same time. Basically what happens is if you create 3 copies of Legend X with Ryona all of them will enter the battlefield at the same time. You then choose one of the legends to keep (most likely the original since it won't be exiled at end of turn). The other legends all "die" leaving you with only the legendary you chose to keep. They each see themselves and the other copies die since they all die at the same time. The enters the battlefield, choose a legendary to keep, leaves the battlefield happens as one continuous state based effect, so you don't get to respond to it (or tap the legendary creatures in the case of Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker or Krenko, Mob Boss).

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

They see each other enter, but they bail before they get to activate, yes (heh, ninja'd).

Seeing how you're exploring this sort of avenue, just a quick Terror of the Peaks reminder as it scales well compared to a lot of the options above. Stupid price tag, but it would probably be one of the premier cards in your list.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

MeowZeDung

TY @WizardMN. I missed lathliss requiring non tokens. Good to know there could be shenanigans with others though.

Yeah, Inferno Titan is a beating. For now I'm really committing to a low curve though. We'll see if that changes though.

Edit: Holy cross post dogpile batman! @Guardman yeah, nontoken got me with lathliss. @Rumpy5897 I'll buy a terror someday, but that price... yuck

MeowZeDung

Well, I thought I was clear on all this rulesy stuff, but Anax, Hardened in the Forge still has my head spinning. @WizardMN - if I make 2 copies of Anax and kill off the two token copies to the legend rule, would the result be 2 satyrs or 6 satyrs since there are 2 instances of "Anax" dying seen 3x?

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

I'm pretty sure "Anax" just refers to himself here, not other cards called that. You're likely to get 2 satyrs per Anax though due to the whole power devotion thing, as he himself has two pips already.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

WizardMN
Answers: 126

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

You will end up with 4 tokens: two each from the dying Anax's that trigger themselves. They will not trigger each other since they are tokens.

However, if you kill the original and a token, you get 8 tokens: 2 from the token's trigger for itself when it dies and 2 from each Anax when the original dies (since that isn't a token, all 3 trigger).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”