Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 3 months ago

Dune has been a fascination of mine since that movie in the 80's, followed by reading the novel. About seven years ago, I started working on a deck on MTG Salvation, my first iteration of this deck. I ran across it in Google just the other day checking to see if any news was out about creating a Dune set (LotR being a massive effort at such a project brought to life, so hope exists to see Arrakis as more than just a jank playlist by me). I got a kick seeing it still on the internet, and decided to post a current decklist, as it's both very different and much more competitive in my playgroup than it used to be.

The deck is divided into subject matters of the Dune story, not by card type. This is a theme very tightly wrapped/selected around the story versus card types. It used to be very wurm intensive (and thus slow as anything.) It is now Fremen/Atreides human based, lower-curved, and goes wide with the ability for massed blitzes and game ending haymakers like Insurrection. Hazezon Tamar's sand warriors, while very-much Fremen, are not humans, but that's the limits of using this commander for Stilgar, which to date is still the most iconic choice for Paul's field commander of the Fremen.

The lack of Paul Atreides is because you are Paul Atreides. Hope you enjoy this! I get a smile everytime I crack this deck open, every bit as much as I did the first time I pulled it out. "Long live the fighters!"

Defenders of Dune

Decklist

Commander/Stilgar

Gurney Haleck

Thufir Hawat

Dr. Liet Kynes (Chani's Father)

Lady Jessica

Weirding Module

Other weirding module effects

The Fremen Reverend Mothers

Exiled to the Desert

Storms of Arrakis

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

Boros_Blendo

Post by Boros_Blendo » 1 month ago

With the release of the new movies…anyone got functional upgrade suggestions that still tightly fit in the Dune franchise theme?

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 month ago

How do you feel about proxies? You can do the alternative name frames and use custom art work to convey your deck.
You can buy the original cards and bring them along to your playgroup to prove you own the cards.
I've been getting into custom card making quite a bit to give my decks a particular theme.
There are some neat things you can do with lands in that I've been using AI imaging to make panoramic landscapes, so that you can line up the lands to make an entire continuous scene.
Anyway if its something you'd be interested in I can step you through the process, its not that difficult.

Boros_Blendo

While a sandwurm about to eat the Baron Harkonnen (Kenneth McMillan) from the David Lynch movie on a card would bring me no amount of endless joy, my real life is so stupid right now, I'm going to stick a pin in that offer. A friend has done something similar, though. That film had such an iconic look, it would look pretty snazzy in a deck. That, and Kyle McLachlan is the Paul Atreides I see when I think of the story.

Any suggestions for thematic/functional card brewing? Buying cards and windmill slamming them in is a speed I can get behind presently. If not, no worries, this one's labor of joy and super fun to pilot. :grin:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 month ago

Thunder junction has some Desert themed cards.
Colossal Rattlewurm, Cataclysmic Prospecting (Spice mining), Dune Chanter, Sand Scout are perfectly in theme for the deck.
You'd want to back this up with Deserts; Desert of the Fervent, Desert of the Indomitable, Desert of the True, Hashep Oasis, Ramunap Ruins, Shefet Dunes, Scavenger Grounds.

Boros_Blendo

Sweet, I'll check those out. Thank you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”