Tayam, Luminous Enigma

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

My take on the new C20 legend, Tayam, Luminous Enigma. I kind of wanted to find a balance between just being able to grind out value from Tayam's ability, as well as having the option to close out games with a combo, and a whole pile of synergy.

I do realize that fetchlands would be incredibly good here, but I don't have duplicates of the lands in this color available at the moment. I'd like to eventually upgrade the temples to at least the three on-color fetchlands, but it isn't feasible for me at the moment.

Tayam, Luminous Enigma

Commander (1)

Planeswalker (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

BRG "Toolbox" |B Xiahou Dun | UB Tegwyll | RG Hans | WB Astarion

Tags:

Airi
Queen of Salt

A quick update to this, but I'm swapping out Necromancy for Lurrus of the Dream-Den. Lurrus is a pretty good fit theme-wise, with the added benefit of being very cute, while Necromancy is probably the weakest of the three enchantments in that vein I was running. It being an instant is normally a good benefit, but kind of unnecessary with Tayam's ability.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Lurrus and STEve are best buds :P

Airi
Queen of Salt

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not sure if it's a suggestion to run Sakura-Tribe Elder, but it's in the list already! There are some cute interactions Lurrus can pull off ^.^

pokken

Airi wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not sure if it's a suggestion to run Sakura-Tribe Elder, but it's in the list already! There are some cute interactions Lurrus can pull off ^.^
No serious comment just sounds like Larry the cat and Steve the snake are best buds and it cracked me up :)

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Ajani, the Greathearted is another sweet walker for putting counters on things. The vigilance is surprisingly relevant.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

pokken

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
Ajani, the Greathearted is another sweet walker for putting counters on things. The vigilance is surprisingly relevant.
Probably less so when your commander dishes out vigilance counters I'd think but still not bad.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
Probably less so when your commander dishes out vigilance counters I'd think but still not bad.
Wow, I completely skipped over that first ability. Though, on the plus side, it means you can eat those vigilance counters for the second ability and still have vigilance.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Lurrus of the Dream-Den or The Great Henge? One cannot have both. Unless I'm misunderstanding that, and that's just to be able to play it from outside of the 100? Haven't looked too closely at that ruling tbh, IKO is a nightmare for weird rulings.

Also, will look more closely later on, as I'll probably build this fella.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Airi
Queen of Salt

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Lurrus of the Dream-Den or The Great Henge? One cannot have both. Unless I'm misunderstanding that, and that's just to be able to play it from outside of the 100? Haven't looked too closely at that ruling tbh, IKO is a nightmare for weird rulings.

The restriction only applies if you're running Lurrus as your companion, which Tayam can't do anyways due to his CMC being 4. Since he's in the 99, however, he's just a cute normal creature ^.^

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago

The restriction only applies if you're running Lurrus as your companion, which Tayam can't do anyways due to his CMC being 4. Since he's in the 99, however, he's just a cute normal creature ^.^
Yeah, I did a quick (admittedly half arsed) look around the companion rulings, and couldn't see anything about, so I assumed I must have been wrong. Carry on!

toctheyounger

How has this deck worked out for you so far? I'm still getting my list organised and collated, but that's slow work around a 9 week old baby. I'd be pretty keen to hear how things have worked out and what the cutest nightmare beast ever is like to pilot :)

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
How has this deck worked out for you so far? I'm still getting my list organised and collated, but that's slow work around a 9 week old baby. I'd be pretty keen to hear how things have worked out and what the cutest nightmare beast ever is like to pilot :)
I'm interested to hear about @Airi's experience thus far as well. I built an elf combo version of the deck for my boy that's looking to win with Devoted Druid + elf lords/+1/+1 counters/Hashep Oasis/Centaur Garden + Tayam activations until it gets to Shaman of the Pack or Altar of Dementia. It's his first combo deck and he's loving it.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

toctheyounger

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I'm interested to hear about @Airi's experience thus far as well. I built an elf combo version of the deck for my boy that's looking to win with Devoted Druid + elf lords/+1/+1 counters/Hashep Oasis/Centaur Garden + Tayam activations until it gets to Shaman of the Pack or Altar of Dementia. It's his first combo deck and he's loving it.
I've tried to stay away from combo myself, and mine has turned into a little bit of a toolbox build. Sounds like me, I guess. I've got some neat stuff like Knight of the Reliquary and some utility lands (special mention goes to Glacial Chasm for counter synergy), some control stuff and counter synergy, as well as 3-4 critters at the higher end of the curve for heavy control - Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Ob Nixilis, Unshackled and Archon of Valor's Reach. Norn gives Devoted Druid enough buff to produce 3 for activations without dying, and I've got this truly evil win con with Ob and Winds of Abandon.

I also opened a copy of Basri Ket from a box my wife and I picked up, and I haven't been able to convince myself that it doesn't fit. All of the abilities he has are fairly relevant to my build - I run Champion of Lambholt too, so alpha strikes could totally be a thing.

MeowZeDung

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Norn gives Devoted Druid enough buff to produce for activations without dying, and I've got this truly evil win con with Ob and Winds of Abandon.
Oh wow. That's sick! So, does the winds trigger require a search for each land, technically speaking? I mean, in paper it just means you go through your library once and grab "Basic Land X Number of Creatures Exiled", but mechanically are there multiple library searches, even if the other player fails to find after the first few searches?

If so, my hat's off to you. That's sweet.

toctheyounger

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Norn gives Devoted Druid enough buff to produce for activations without dying, and I've got this truly evil win con with Ob and Winds of Abandon.
Oh wow. That's sick! So, does the winds trigger require a search for each land, technically speaking? I mean, in paper it just means you go through your library once and grab "Basic Land X Number of Creatures Exiled", but mechanically are there multiple library searches, even if the other player fails to find after the first few searches?

If so, my hat's off to you. That's sweet.
I just checked in with a judge, and it's just 10. I'm a little sad, even though it''s pretty evil. Still, there's always Field of Ruin and Fertilid.

MeowZeDung

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I just checked in with a judge, and it's just 10. I'm a little sad, even though it''s pretty evil. Still, there's always Field of Ruin and Fertilid.
Still good, just not as evil genius level of good.

I forgot Fertilid targeted. That's a spicy bit of synergy, especially if you're adding counters with Rishkar, Peema Renegade + Tayam + sac outlet loops or something. Convoluted, sure, but spicy.

toctheyounger

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Still good, just not as evil genius level of good.

I forgot Fertilid targeted. That's a spicy bit of synergy, especially if you're adding counters with Rishkar, Peema Renegade + Tayam + sac outlet loops or something. Convoluted, sure, but spicy.
Convoluted wins are the best wins! Pretty sure I can make it happen. There's The Ozolith, Good-Fortune Unicorn, Luminous Broodmoth, and I've got a little grossness with Saffi Eriksdotter and pals. Ideally I'd like it not to combo too easily, but I think asking Saffi Eriksdotter not to combo at all might be asking too much.

MeowZeDung

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I think asking Saffi Eriksdotter not to combo at all might be asking too much.
I used to run Saffi several years back. Fun stuff. She's kind of in the same "oops, that's a combo I didn't know was in the deck" category that Ghave, Guru of Spores is in.

Honestly, Tayam is tough to avoid combo with simply because it's a commander with a colorless activation cost that actively churns through your library. WotC at least learned from Thrasios, Triton Hero to not make it TOO good and cheap, but even still it screams combo machine.

toctheyounger

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I think asking Saffi Eriksdotter not to combo at all might be asking too much.
I used to run Saffi several years back. Fun stuff. She's kind of in the same "oops, that's a combo I didn't know was in the deck" category that Ghave, Guru of Spores is in.

Honestly, Tayam is tough to avoid combo with simply because it's a commander with a colorless activation cost that actively churns through your library. WotC at least learned from Thrasios, Triton Hero to not make it TOO good and cheap, but even still it screams combo machine.
Yeah I stopped short of adding in aristocrats or Blasting Station, and I think I left Reveillark out too....not sure....But yeah she's pretty nuts.

I used to run Ghave, Guru of Spores and got sick of how easily it comboes. Tayam, Luminous Enigma is still pretty nuts, but I think the mill factor prevents complete infinity (barring the presence of an eldrazi titan ofc) and removing counters sort of keep it at least a little more in line and slightly less degenerate. Totally still capable of combo, just less easily, and able to run non-combo if the pilot should prefer that. At any rate I like that it's counters from anything, so going for lands and walkers and such is kinda neat and versatile.

MeowZeDung

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
but I think the mill factor prevents complete infinity (barring the presence of an eldrazi titan ofc)
My understanding of the rules was that you could, in fact, mill your whole deck with Tayam and still continue activating the ability to recur something. You wouldn't lose because you never "draw" a card.

toctheyounger

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
but I think the mill factor prevents complete infinity (barring the presence of an eldrazi titan ofc)
My understanding of the rules was that you could, in fact, mill your whole deck with Tayam and still continue activating the ability to recur something. You wouldn't lose because you never "draw" a card.
Huh. You're probably right, actually. Well, that does still limit you to one turn cycle, but that doesn't mean a ton if you're going off.

Airi
Queen of Salt

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
@MeowZeDung

Unfortunately, I have no news to share. :pensive: I live in a state that hasn't really had a decline with the virus (just a plateau and then massive spikes recently), and because I'm an essential worker I haven't been able to play it yet. Can't meet up to play when I'm one of the people at the greatest risk of getting others sick >.<

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
@MeowZeDung

Unfortunately, I have no news to share. :pensive: I live in a state that hasn't really had a decline with the virus (just a plateau and then massive spikes recently), and because I'm an essential worker I haven't been able to play it yet. Can't meet up to play when I'm one of the people at the greatest risk of getting others sick >.<
Aw, that sucks. I'd have thought you'd be off with your hand anyway, but I guess duty calls. Well, I hope things ease off shortly for you guys, at least enough to get some recreation time in! I know things are pretty crazy over there in the states so hopefully you're safe and happy first and foremost :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”