Selvala, Explorer Returned - Into the Wild Unknown

cheonice
Death to Chronos.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 6 months ago

Dr. Who

Fortunately, Dr. Who offers next to nothing, too. There are a few cards that are somewhat playable, but there are not stand-outs.

Sergeant John Benton could have some potential. He's a potent attacker that draws you cards. Yes, your opponents get to draw cards, too, but when they do, they won't block him, right? Yeah... thought so. Pass, except for more group huggish or more aggressive approaches.

Everybody Lives! is an intersting take on Teferi's Protection. It's a way to stop a combo win, so that's an additional benefit. It does not protect your non-creatures though. It protects your opponents boards, too, so it does not help with profitable blocks like Heroic Intervention. Angel's Grace is another card in that niche. I would probably play it instead of Intervention. There aren't many ways to interact with game-winning combos in WG. I will test it, if I can trade for one.

Everything Comes to Dust could be an option for Elfball, but is probably too expensive.

Lord of the Rings - Holiday Showcase Whatever This Is

Whatever this product is? But there are new cards, so here we go.

Galadriel's Dismissal is another spin on Teferi's Protection, that can be used aggressively. Probably not worth it, though.

If you watn to go down the combo road, Legolas's Quick Reflexes is a great option to get additional value out of Selvala. Mana, life, card draw AND removal?! Sounds nice. But it's not for this deck.

Wilds of Eldraine

So many goodies for Enchatress! I finally found my commander for this archetype: Yenna, Redtooth Regent! She's a blast to play! For Selvala, though, there aren't any great additions.

Stroke of Midnight is anotherBeast Within, that leaves a smaller token but can't hit lands. The token isn't relevant in most cases, so this feels just worse. More options are always welcome, though.

End-Raze Forerunners got another cousin in Moonshaker Cavalry! Unfortunately they lack haste, so you're missing out on 6+ damage. I'll stick to my beloved boars for now.

Some smaller changes:
Dawn of Hope returns, while The Gaffer needs to go. I don't hit 3 life as reliable as I hoped. So for the moment Dawn is back. I think I want to play The Great Henge on this slot, but yeah. 40 € is way too much. Maybe I manage to sell some other cards.

I want to reasses, how good Mana Reflection is. Mirari's Wake has been great, but doesn't send Selvala into space like Reflection. We'll see, how much my friends like this addition^^
Changes

//Recent additions

//Recent Cuts

Approximate Total Cost:

Decklist
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

[/quote]

Tags:

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 4 months ago

This happened:
I needed to find an artifact removal, but only hat Green Sun's Zenith in my hand. While searching my library I realised that I don't play any green targets (except Bane of Progress)... Oh well... I might need Reclamation Sage or Green Slime...
Made another fatal misplay, when I activated Selvala at the wrong time. This happens, if you're overtired and just get to play every other month.

On another note: The deck drifted a bit away to be more goodstuffy. I'll look into it and try to focus more on my initial plan. For example, Esper Sentinel feels a bit out of place. Maybe Hour of Revelation is another option to combat some strategies that rely heavily on permanents.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 3 months ago

Elenda's Hierophant looks fun! Another Pridemate is always welcome. It's a shame that Karlov of the Ghost Council is Orzhov.

In some games I was missing a lifegain source, so I pondered my orb what to add.
Auriok Champion would be the next best Soul Sister, but is another creature and does not offer anything new.
Spectrum Sentinel triggers off lands, but we would get one, maybe two life per turn cycle.
Leonin Elder could be gross in the right meta or dead against some decks. I don't get to play often enough to make a meta call atm...
Which brings us to Authority of the Consuls. It's a Soul Sister for our opponents creatures that slows said opponents down. So no haste shenanigans. Could be worth a try.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 months ago

Lost Caverns of Ixalan

I already talked about Elenda's Hierophant. Another Pridemate is always welcome.
Sun Titan is probably my favourite card of all times, so getting another, slightly worse copy in Redemption Choir made me excited!

Murders at Karlov Manor

Archdruid's Charm looks fantastic, too. This card is just never dead.
Case of the Uneaten Feast feels like an Yawgmoth's Will-at-home. I'm already playing several recursion pieces, but will keep an eye on this one. Solving it should be fairly easy.
Trouble in Pairs is yet another white card, that punishes multi-drawing/spelling/attacking. It could be good in Selvala, but if I keep stuffing these effacts into the deck... yeah... It would be another deck. I will look for a copy, though, just to test it.
Lush Portico - the whole cycle is jsut fantastic!

Fallout

Yes Man, Personal Securiton seems interesting. Another build of Selvala could make good use of them.

Anyway. I got the feeling that the deck drifted away from it's core. Too much goodstuff like Sensei's Divining Top or cards that didn't fit the theme. So I made a small overhaul and refocussed on the lifegain aspect. I added another wrath Hour of Devastation after running into some boards that were just too full. And we played a 5 player game where NOT A SINGLE WRATH was cast. Naturally, the token and big creature decks dominated. After @pokken suggested it a few months ago, I'll give the big white reset button a chance.

New Decklist
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 month ago

Small change I missed somehow.
I'm thinking of adding more elves, again. At the moment Selvala feels a bit awkward, the lifegain engines are somewhat slow. I need to put some thought into this.
Decklist

//Cuts

//Additions

Approximate Total Cost:

New Decklist
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”