Korvold: Building on an EXTREME Budget

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Hello all! My sister-in-law recently acquired a Korvold, Fae-Cursed King Brawl deck and wants to make it into her second Commander. She has no collection beyond her currently existent Rashmi deck she got as a gift and three boosters worth of Battlebond from a draft. So, she brought the deck to me and made a deal - she'll trade me the Arcane Signet and a Mindblade Render from her pile of draft chaff in for a Sol Ring plus 40 more cards to get the deck up to 100. She wants this thing to swing as close to a 75% deck as possible, and to be able to hold its own in a metagame that is light on interaction, but very heavy on ramp and explosive value engines with players that have decades worth of cards or a considerable budget to chuck at their new builds.

So, our challenge is to find a way to get this thing up to 100 cards on a truly minuscule budget. She's got about $7 in trade value left and my wife and I are willing to toss in another $8-10 worth of cards (either purchased from our LGS or taken out of our collection) as a birthday gift (alongside sleeves and some non-MtG essentials).

As a reminder, here is the stock Savage Hunter deck, minus a Signet and plus a Sol Ring:
In a perfect world, she'd cut some of her weaker cards like Angrath, Pollenbright Druid, and Bloodsoaked Altar but we need to get to 40 cards before we start cutting stuff from this stock list. Now, before one despairs - straight off the bat, we're gonna roll this thing up to 39 lands as we don't want to miss a drop, and I'm not going to hold a pile of basics + a Terramorphic Expanse against her in the budget. So with 14 more lands, we need to add 26 more real cards. I also won't consider vanillas and french vanillas as "real cards" if we need to use them to pad the list, but it's a grim day indeed if we're filling this list out with Typhoid Rats and Colossal Dreadmaw.

First, looking through her draft chaff, there are a few non-terrible additions: Doom Blade and Culling Dais are actually both really really solid, and easy additions. We've also got Screeching Buzzard, Doomed Dissenter, Seer's Lantern, Sengir Vampire, and Royal Assassin which are a LOT less good, but at least support the theme or are playable without just being vanillas or french vanillas.

I've got my own ideas, but from here where would you guys go to...

- Add an additional 19-24 cards to the deck.

- For $15 or less.

- Making the deck as competitive as humanly possible.

- And ideally being under budget, so that we can cut weak cards for better ones and cut guildgates for the likes of Opal Palace, Exotic Orchard, and/or Savage Lands.

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I have a Korvold deck, so here is a list of the most budget cards from my deck. Check out the link in my signature.

The below list is other cards I'd recommend as potential includes.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

This is more than $15, but I'm sure you can make your sis-in-law day by splashing out a few extra dollars as a new year present.

That's 33 cards, and there are definitely cards I'd cut from the pre-con list. Let me know if you want help with cuts.

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 4 years ago

Well, you want things that make tokens when they die that are ideally, self sacrificing. With your general out, self sacrificing things draw you a ton of cards. The thing that comes to mind is eldrazi spawn and also the treasure tokens. Of course, many of the treasure tokens are already mentioned. Some of the below options may not be budget enough, but how about:
For some things that sacrifice well or synergize with it, Most of them should be pretty cheap.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Amazing - thank you both! Here's the list I am tentatively thinking of, having glanced at my collection and my favorite online card vendor:
Budget Korvold 1.0

Commander:

Instants and Sorceries: 10

Approximate Total Cost:

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

OK, the problem is that you don't have enough creature token generators for the number of sacrifice outlets and sacrifice benefits.
8 of your creatures already sacrifice themselves as part of their abilities.

Trust me even not a budget I find I have this same issue, but at least I get to elevate this by some good generators:

$1.31 Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
$4.39 Tendershoot Dryad
$6.58 Nesting Dragon
$13.22 Titania, Protector of Argoth
$6.48 Avenger of Zendikar

Now you should 100% play Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. Worth every penny and more.

I would also splash out on Tendershoot Dryad. If you need to find the budget for it by cutting some other slightly expensive cards it will be worth it.

The other thing is that when I was first researching the deck I identified some great Goblins as a way to generate tokens. And this should be great on a budget.
You already have Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin, so starting that theme.
Goblins
Approximate Total Cost:

These are other budget token generators.
alt token generators
Approximate Total Cost:

I can't stress that you can't possible have too little of the token generators.

These are the changes you should make in my personal opinion as an experienced Korvold and commander player.

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

There's not much to add to this, but I do want to point out that Ulvenwald Mysteries is a card that I love. Clue tokens are great fodder, and with this number of (nontoken) creatures it seems like it'd function in this deck. A few weeks ago I came across this article where it is also mentioned, perhaps it's good inspiration, and if not, it's still a good read: https://articles.edhrec.com/mechanicall ... nded-food/

Also worth checking out is EDHREC's budget page for Korvold: https://edhrec.com//commanders/korvold- ... get-budget
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Thank you both! The final version did end up with a Goblin package and Endrek Sahr to fuel Korvold. We're taking it for a first test drive tonight so I'll let you both know how it goes!

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

Okay, I was just sorting my card box and I came across a card I once played in Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper. The card is ten years old and probably completely invalidated by power creep, yet it's worth next to nothing and fits your deck perfectly: Dragon Appeasement.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”