Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain - Izzet Draw

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Here's a list I've been loosely planning on paper ever since Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain came out, but just never got around to actually putting together until this past week. It's typical in many ways for a Jhoira, WC deck, at least according to EDHrec, but I've broken the mold at least a little bit.

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain - Izzet Draw
Approximate Total Cost:

In a nutshell, I'm looking to set up with some mana rocks and/or cost reduction, then bring Jhoira out before going off with a bunch of 0 CMC artifacts, or "cheerios", which are suddenly cantrips thanks to Jhoira's triggered ability (because of any cost reduction effects on board I'm also looking to turn 1 and even 2-3 CMC artifacts into functional cheerios). Add on top of this some effects like Hurkyl's Recall and Paradoxical Outcome that allow me to get multiple casts from all of my cheerios and draw even more cards, and you have the makings of a typical artifact storm build. . . but that's where I add the slight twist.

I'm not particularly fond of storm in the truly optimized sense in EDH, which nearly always wins with Aetherflux Reservoir or possibly Grapeshot. The only real interaction possible in this situation is a counterspell, and the "do you have it or not?" brand of magic just doesn't appeal to me. Why don't we just go flip coins for fun instead? It'd be a much less expensive hobby.

I'm ALSO not particularly fond of "wheels" in magic. Winds of Change, Jace's Archivist, Whirlpool Warrior, Molten Psyche, and Magus of the Wheel are all great cards for the Nekusar, the Mindrazer player casting them, but they're MISERABLE to play against in multiples, in my opinion, and they turn the game into Magic: the Shuffling. It just so happens that Jhoira's cheerio storm give me an insane amount of card draw without requiring everyone to shuffle up and draw 7 *over and over*, so I can borrow a wheel deck's typical win-cons, such as Psychosis Crawler or Niv-Mizzet, Parun, without the groan fest of wheeling everyone again and again.

I think Mindmoil might just be my favorite card in the deck. It keeps me from inadvertently decking if I get my win-con out too late, but also speeds things up A LOT once I have stuck a win-con. This being the case, I have got to get my hands on a copy of Arjun, the Shifting Flame stat.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”