Kairi Sane (Kari Zev), Skyship Raider (Secret Torbran Deck)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

....If you saw my alter of Kari Zev, Skyship Raider and were familiar with WWE NXT, you'd totally get the reference in the name.

Now, yes, I like Torbran, Thane of Red Fell . But I don't like four drops without haste or any effect attached to them. I like even less four drops with two power that don't do something scary. Kaalia does something scary...Torbran does not. But Kari Zev...she comes in at a very cheap cost to generate pressure in chip damage, she brings a buddy which grants added value in sacrifice outlets, and surprise, both her and the monkey will get the damage boost off of Torbran, whom the deck is secretly built around anyway! When all these things are considered, of course it's only natural that Kari Zev is the perfect fit to lead what is otherwise a Torbran deck!

And if that wasn't enough, she also has innate evasion which makes her a natural equipment carrier!

"Sideboard" stack is just a list of cards I semi-frequently cycle through the deck at arbitrary points. They're good, but they're not corre pieces.

Kairi Sane

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Maybe Stack
Show
Hide
Maybe

Sideboard (86)

1 Boil
Approximate Total Cost:

Deck stats: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kairi-s ... bran-deck/
images
Show
Hide
Attachments
EMo3kBXUEAAky4J.png
EMo3kBoU8AAHbcT.png
EMo3kBnUEAAsoi8.png
Last edited by 3drinks 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Tags:

3drinks

How'd I miss Goblin Oriflamme? Similar response to Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin which is consistently better than Rabblemaster in all ways except the first turn. Those are easy includes. Apparently I lost my Hellrider too and I never noticed...so that's gonna come back...

I'd like to include Obsidian Fireheart for that ohsoamazing reminder text. It's great to apply pressure without spending cards in hand, though I don't have issues with running low on cards in hand ever).

I think we should consider Culling Dais. It's opportunity cost is low and we're getting a body to feed it every turn. Who wouldn't want to draw 2-4 cards off just Ragavan? It's no Shivan Harvest, but it'll do.

I'm curious to Tibalt, Rakish Instigator, mostly because I'm the legend's #1 fan. I like turning off lifegain, and it does create some bodies which are great for the sac outlets. Maybe it won't make the cut. But I'd like to try to jam a copy of Tibalt into at least one of my brews.

Ramunap Ruins will round out the desert package, giving us three options for either grave hate or extra damage, sometimes more with a crucible of worlds out. I'm not really sure why I never slotted this in before, likely an oversight. I've also changed up the manabase to excluse more sketchy nonbasics (like landscape) to give us more juicy mountains. I'm considering letting Nykthos go to the wayside too, and just adding another mountain for it. We really don't ramp or have a need to reach for those heights which is easily one of our greatest strengths over others.

Let's look at the new cards;

Ox of Agonas - so this is a typically better Bedlam Reveler, though not offensively. They play the same way, Reveler presents a better clock but Ox gives more reusability. Escape 8 is steep however, and thus I'm unsure just how many times we're going to be rebuying him anyway. And you typically don't want to spend five on a 4/2 for the first cast. Since Ox is about 4x the price of Reveler, I'd say don't bother with it unless you can snag a killer deal - which you likely won't because this should have some dredge implementations which makes these kinds of cards pretty sought after.

Storm's Wrath - hey, we got a four cmc wrath! And it hits walkers too? Sick action. It's pre-selling for under a buck too, so grab it while it's cheap.

Tectonic Giant - talk about a beefy guy. This does a lot for the cost, presents favourable power stats to the cost, and provides value even when he's popped. Yeah, you're playing this. There's no reason not to do so.

Shadowspear - Whoa, what a find. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't want to play this. Cheap to cast, competitive equip cost, can race very well, and can turn off protections so we can keep fighting through. Surely will be one of the chase cards of the set, so maybe watch the price for a few weeks post-release and jump when you think it's reached it's floor (which should still be quite high, this card does a lot).

Underworld Breach - Great card. Like a R YawgWin. I don't think this is the deck for it, but you can't go wrong buying it surely.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Updated, because In nguess I didn't have the most current list available.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

I clearly was asleep at the wheel and missed this.

Am I misevaluating, because otherwise I'm seeing far too much upside here. I have enough play @ the one to make it fine, but there's plenty of ways to up the power with ease to get upper end play.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

There's quite a few changes I need to track down here (including cutting Gauntlet of Might, and an explanation on why I'd do such a thing). I'll update once I track down those changes as they correspond with some TBD additions.

There's also some play with Sword of Truth and Justice I added recently, and I'm excited to talk about what that brings to the table as well.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

I'm gonna re-add this here too, because it's the ultimate pimp for this colour.
Finally. No more "creative alter" Gauntlet, I found a super killer deal. "Damaged", lol, but what do you expect from a card that hasn't been printed in over twenty years lol.

This has character. And I couldn't be happier about my love affair with mono-R. 😎

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Kinda forgot about it for years but.....we make a lot of tokens yeah? At least Ragavan every turn. Doesn't that make this guy Greater Gargadon extraordinary? Or has his time waned in late stage commander?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

So I finally made the massive update to current -ize everything again. Take a look, LMK your thoughts, praise, constructive feedback or anything else on your mind about playing mono-r in commander.

Really ought to do a write-up in-depth some day.............................

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Who says you need Kruphix to stock mana?
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”