Lord of the Nazgûl: Inverting Expectations

Phoenixlance
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Phoenixlance » 10 months ago

Around my shop I am known as the quintessential fair player. Most of the decks that I run are value engine-based control decks that thrive in the long game and win with one or two threats once the table has run out of resources. So I decided to stretch my wings and build a different kind of deck. While Lord of the Nazgûl: Inverting Expectations on the surface will look like one of my usual control decks, it is really fighting a battle on two fronts: the expected route of casting cheap spells to form my horde of Wraiths, while slowly assembling the pieces for its game-winning combo.

Inverting Expectations

Commander:

Board Wipes: 3

Approximate Total Cost:

I've never really played a deck with a combo in it before, so I'm excited to see how it influences my play.

For the uninitiated, this deck's combo centers on Thassa's Oracle--hey wait, don't leave! It's not Demonic Consultation! It's Inverter of Truth!

When Inverter enters the battlefield, it exiles your library and replaces it with whatever is in your graveyard. If you have two or fewer cards in your graveyard when this happens and Oracle in hand, you will win via the latter's ability when you cast it. Jace, Wielder of Mysteries can replace Oracle in a pinch.

To achieve this, the deck is loaded with cheap and efficient spells to churn through the deck and find our combo. In the meantime we are generating tokens from Lord of the Nazgûl, Talrand, Sky Summoner, and Sedgemoor Witch to rule the battlefield with.

It's also important though to carefully manage our graveyard to ensure we don't have too many cards in it once we are ready to win. Cling to Dust and Glimpse of Freedom therefore are two of the most important cards in the deck, as they shrink the graveyard while also being a repeatable source of card draw.

This deck also allows me to use my copy of Intuition for the first time. There's not exactly an automatic "I win" pile; the closest would most likely be Snapcaster Mage/Lier, Disciple of the Drowned/Archaeomancer + Reanimate + Oracle/Inverter if you have the other combo piece already in hand. You can also do Cling + Glimpse + Memory Deluge to get your Escape/Flashback cards into the graveyard for later. Reanimate + Snapcaster/Lier/Archaeomancer + any spell also comes up, usually in situations where you need a specific answer to a problem.

The deck is running your usual suite of good Dimir utility creatures. Ledger Shredder and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy // Jace, Telepath Unbound do double-duty by filling the yard for you. Sword of Feast and Famine allows you to be a little more proactive while still keeping your shields up. The One Ring is thematic and just a good card. There's only 8 counterspells and 8 spot removal spells, so its important to be judicious about when and where you interact.

There are other thoughts percolating in my brain--maybe adding Persist to help with Intuition lines, Entomb and Unmarked Grave for redundancy with Cling and Glimpse, more fast mana--but this felt like a good starting point to see if I enjoyed the deck concept first.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”