Yeah, way down yonder on the Chattahoochee
Never knew how much that muddy water meant to me
But I learned how to swim and I learned who I was
A lot about living and a little 'bout love

- Alan Jackson, Chattahoochee

Florida Man

Commander:

Approximate Total Cost:

I'm from Florida. I can make these jokes. @TheAmericanSpirit is a fellow Southerner and, I'm sure, will back me up.

Old Rutstein

Florida Man isn't a particularly powerful Magic card. It is, however, very good at generating incremental value which, over time, enables engines that actually are pretty powerful once they get going. This is Florida Man's secret: remain unassuming until WHAM!! sucker punch.

What Does This Deck Actually Do?

Since Old Rutstein mills, ramps, loots, and makes bugs, we're going to lean into resource exchange and recursion. These strategies dovetail nicely since you can easily churn cards through your board, graveyard, and hand, depending on your needs. For example, you can mill a big creature, create a 1/1 insect, then cast Victimize to bring it back with a friend. Need removal? Flashback Dread Return to bring back Eternal Witness to bring back that Putrefy. Nothing too fancy, just a good old fashioned Golgari Graveyard Grind deck. Please point your Bogs elsewhere.

This is my take on what a good precon would look like right out of the box. The price is a little under $50, probably a little under the expected value of a precon these days, but since this wouldn't need much upgrading it balances out.

Property

It's obvious, but these days it needs to be emphasized that a manabase's primary function is to make sure you can consistently cast your spells when you need them, so we're keeping things simple. We're only running a handful of utility lands, and since our budget is so low we can only run a smattering of duals. It's not bad, but it would be the first thing I would drop some extra cash into.

Mattress Cash

While Old Rutstein does a little bit of self-milling, a little more helps us get our recursive engines going. Some of these also generate more tokens so the deck can start exchanging resources. Nothing revolutionary, there are some obvious budget exclusions, though.

Grave Robbing

This is the real meat of the deck. Since everything revolves around the graveyard, using it as a second hand gives you so much value that these prices can't be beat. The deck is mostly full of creatures, so bringing those back is the primary focus, especially some of the bigger bombs we have.

Gators

Speaking of bombs, have you read Blight Titan? These are our finishers. While we can eke out incidental damage with our enabler dorks, this is where most of our tings are coming from. Pure and simple.

Critters

Florida Man poops out a lot of tokens, but sometimes he's going to get removed and we need more ways to make sure our token production is on pace. Sengir Autocrat is a personal favorite from the old days.

Beer Run

Gotta draw cards, Cotton.

Shotgun Blast

This part also suffers from budgetary constraints, but I tried to be as efficient as possible. These cards, like the manabase, have a very specific function and trying to get too cute with them will make you lose games.

That's all I have to say about that.
Last edited by TheGildedGoose 7 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

He's telling the truth and I wouldn't mess with him on it. I live in North Carolina and I would rather blatantly flirt with a man's wife in rural west Texas than tango with a bonafide Florida Man.

IMO needs a category to represent the Miami/Tampa/Orlando areas. The Common Urban Florida Man is a unique and fascinating subspecies, although less vivid in the collective imagination than its gator-wrassling, beer-swilling counterpart.

Edit: High Market is pretty cheap and should be here I think. I also really like Netherborn Phalanx as solid transmute and maybe melting someone lategame. Also Gary is a solid reanimator target even with only like 5 devotion or so.

Double edit: Makeshift Mannequin is also pretty nice imo. Functional haste + in my experience, most people don't have ways to randomly target stuff outside of removal, so the downside is actually deceptively small.

Triple edit: Satyr Wayfinder
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Shabbaman
crying casual
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Shabbaman » 11 months ago

Tortured Existence would work here.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
AaIMO needs a category to represent the Miami/Tampa/Orlando areas. The Common Urban Florida Man is a unique and fascinating subspecies, although less vivid in the collective imagination than its gator-wrassling, beer-swilling counterpart.
I'm in Tampa at the moment myself and let me assure you, Florida Man is omnipresent, permeating every inch of this godforsaken state.
Edit: High Market is pretty cheap and should be here I think. I also really like Netherborn Phalanx as solid transmute and maybe melting someone lategame. Also Gary is a solid reanimator target even with only like 5 devotion or so.

Double edit: Makeshift Mannequin is also pretty nice imo. Functional haste + in my experience, most people don't have ways to randomly target stuff outside of removal, so the downside is actually deceptively small.

Triple edit: Satyr Wayfinder
High Market puts us dangerously close to going over budget, but it's a useful tool for avoiding theft effects which can be the bane of reanimator. Makeshift Mannequin is actually pretty spicy, but I'm not sure what to cut for it.

The satyr is an obvious inclusion that I decided against for some reason.
Shabbaman wrote:
11 months ago
Tortured Existence would work here.
Now that's a Magic card. Easy include and I can't believe I forgot it.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 7 months ago

Updated decklist. No tracked changes, but the short of it is that I lowered the curve a bit to give myself more early plays and upped the density and quality of the reanimation targets. It's a surprisingly strong deck for being so budget, which makes this Floridian proud.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”