RRR: Rashmi Ragavan aRtifact Lantern Control

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 11 months ago

I think in our haste to dismiss Gimbal, Gremlin Prodigy as a weak card headlining a truly atrocious precon (legit playing with it in hand, it's one of the worst precons they've ever put out), I at least missed the back-up commander Rashmi and Ragavan. This card seems fairly strong for two reasons.

1. Just like OG Rashmi, Eternities Crafter , the fail-state here is fairly good; a treasure off your first spell cast each turn (not just your turn) is rock-solid.
2. Unlike OG Rashmi, the "free card" here is less guaranteed (it is opponent's, and you whiff on lands instead of drawing them) but does not care about the mana value of what you cast to trigger it. That means we 100% want to slam 1 and 2-drop spells and steal everything else while amassing a pile of artifacts. With enough artifacts, you can easily be nabbing a ton of free spells - and building and amassing a pile of treasure to keep casting more spells.

As I was brainstorming, I realized that I had an excuse to do a Trinket Mage package, which lead me to Lantern of Insight, which lead me to realize that "Plan B" can be lantern control - if I'm not stealing I can keep opponents off their best cards.
RRR

Commander: 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Deck is a bit light on draw although I'd note Skullclamp, Idol, and Jace can all draw and are just listed elsewhere and R&R is sorta kinda draw. Also light on ways to, ya know, win (it wouldn't be a Hawk deck if we concerned ourselves with winning when we could just durdle harder instead) but the hope is that I simply steal opponent's wincons.

One direction I could go and didn't was a heavier emphasis on instants, especially some higher-cost instants like Sublime Epiphany, Second Harvest, Turnabout, Mystic Confluence, etc., possibly with Torrential Gearhulk to buy them back.

Also toyed with Crystal Shard Eternal Witness engines to really leverage that Trinket Mage because of course I was tempted to durdle MOAR. But it felt like overkill.

A few obvious misses that I just don't own are:
- More untappers: Seedborn Muse and Wilderness Reclamation are obviously great here, but I own zero.
- More Flash enablers. I have battlethopter in and could add Shimmer Myr and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir (don't own Vedalken Orrery) but wasn't sure I needed them.
- More/better rocks (the other Talismans, Grim Monolith, Moxen): Chrome Mox is intentionally missing since it's awkward with so many colorless spells. Don't own the rest.
- Stronger treasure matters synergy from stuff like Brass's Bounty. Bootleggers' Stash, Professional Face-Breaker, Storm the Vault // Vault of Catlacan, Old Gnawbone, maybe building to running Doubling Season. I do own bounty but not the rest; this ultimately felt like overkill as well even if I did own it but I could be convinced.

Tags:

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 11 months ago

I agree that Rashmi is underrated, building her myself, but with a bend toward treasures and winning with Rise and Shine and friends.

I'm worried I'm reading the card wrong. As far as I can tell you only get the treasure when you cast your first spell on your turns. I'd love it if it was every turn!

I know you're already trying to fit in cards, so not a lot of suggestions, but Emry, Lurker of the Loch seems really good with your Lantern plan. With all of those 1 drop artifacts salvaging station might be useful. Curious to see where you go with it!

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 11 months ago

kraus911 wrote:
11 months ago
I'm worried I'm reading the card wrong. As far as I can tell you only get the treasure when you cast your first spell on your turns. I'd love it if it was every turn!
No, this is correct - R&R only trigger off the first spell you cast on your own turn. That said, I myself read R&R incorrectly the first time - I thought they only let you cast the spell for free if it was cheaper than the spell you cast, like original Rashmi. Gating based on artifact count definitely opens up some shenanigans. I like the Lantern of Insight plan! Not necessarily fun for opponents, but definitely an interesting plan.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 11 months ago

Mookie wrote:
11 months ago
kraus911 wrote:
11 months ago
No, this is correct - R&R only trigger off the first spell you cast on your own turn. That said, I myself read R&R incorrectly the first time - I thought they only let you cast the spell for free if it was cheaper than the spell you cast, like original Rashmi. Gating based on artifact count definitely opens up some shenanigans. I like the Lantern of Insight plan! Not necessarily fun for opponents, but definitely an interesting plan.
Curses. Foiled again.

Well that just means plan "spam instants" isn't nearly as good and taking this deck into a "cantrip-mancer" direction isn't the way. I did futz around on Archidekt with this last night, and I definitely think it needs more draw and mana sinks. With 36 land I also don't think the Tireless men are as good as I'd anticipated. So I think I'll likely work towards a build that does some Crystal Witness nonsense with a few more strong draw spells or X spells. I also really like @kraus911 's suggestion of Emry and Salvaging Station to rebuy key artifacts - my meager testing showed life is really hard without Lantern/Snitches. I don't own Wand of Denial and am not able to buy Field of Dreams so I may very well go back to 2006 and play Lurking Informant.

Hoping to build and live-fire test this weekend and I'll report back!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”