Thalia and The Gitrog Monster

Gorillajay
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gorillajay » 1 year ago

Ok bit of an update here for me. Over the past few days I was playing the deck with plus or minus 3 cards from the list in OP. Had pretty good success with it, I think most games were pretty solid like I mentioned in my previous report I didn't see glaring weaknesses.

Since I had been playing in the PlayEDH "Mid" discord I felt it was best to get the deck checked by the deck check/mod community to make sure It wasn't falling outside the Powerlevel. A deck doesn't HAVE to be checked to play within the discord but doing so helps others understand where your deck may be at and helps you yourself as a deck builder know where the lines are drawn.

Outside of Ad Nauseam being identified too strong for the powerlevel, which is more or less just a Simple Criteria they maintain. The rest of the feedback I received was VERY surprising. The initial responses are below.
Thalia and Gitrog - Please cut Ad Nauseum, which is problematic draw in the context of your deck; Demonic Tutor, as your general density of tutors is very very high; and ~5 lands and a couple of your less impactful dorks/land-search spells, as you mana density is too high and very likely to brick out even with your commander providing filtering.

Please use those slots to add a few more finishers (token makers and overrun effects), a few more removal spells, and a few more sources of card advantage (i.e. Painful Truths, Horn of Greed) for play in MID
The TLDR on your first question is neither that it is too powerful nor to weak but that it is too swingy. A deck that plays some games as a 2 and other games as a 9 is the same average power level as a deck that plays some games at 4 and other games at 7, but the former is a much worse play experience for opponents than the latter; it produces more non-games in any directions.

The build you submitted was very likely to draw 1/3 of the deck of a tutored ad naus; it was also very likely to sac lands to draw lands and die with a grip full of mana sources. Neither of those, win or lose, are in line with what other players expect from you going into a Mid pod.
Re: lands, typical mid decks run 33-36 lands, so even with my cuts you'd have 43 (counting MDFC) lands, 10 more than other decks in your pod. As for your plan of using them so sac to Thalia... that's not accomplishing much? Your acutal payoffs for landfall are limited to a small handful of cards. If you want to play extra lands and then sac them to draw into your good cards, you can also just play more good cards, since using Thalia that way doesn't ramp your mana or do much of anything aside from cycling.
Re: tutors, you have Vampiric, Imperial, Demonic to find anything; Natural Order, GSZ, Finale to find creatures; Crop Rotation, and Knight of the Reliquary to find lands. That's just generally too many ways to pick your key cards out of your deck for Mid, and needs to be trimmed down. It needs to be trimmed down less than if you were searching for simple A + B combos, decks tutoring for value and answers get a lot more wiggle room, but it's still a few too many ways to assemble the exact pieces you need.
You can imagine my surprise when I'm being told that a deck whose foundations were build around consistency is that it is in fact not consistent and very swingy. So much that in fact it needed a not-so small amount of changes in order to create good play and keep up in the "Mid" category. Cutting lands, a tutor and a main draw engine for what I thought would be clunky cards to me felt like a huge shot to our consistent plan and principles.

This set off a few rounds of MUCH discussion with the reviewers and mods (I escalated the review feedback to discuss further with mods). In those discussions I linked both threads from here, game reports that I made a note to explain deckbuilding principals etc. I was attempting to clarify just how consistent the deck is (Tutors + Landcounts + Resilient engines/win cons like Loam and FOTD). After all this, they doubled down on almost all of their suggestions. However, they did take the time to further explain why they thought such changes were needed. And after that I believe that I finally understand their perspective at least to the point where I am willing to try some changes.

To help summarize their perspective i'll quote them.
One issue the reviewer pointed out is precisely that the tutor density is too high. The kind of play pattern you're describing - ramping and then being able to tutor for the situationally best piece in your deck in 2/3 of your games - is not what we're looking for when it comes to curating Mid Power. Especially when you consider that most of the time, you're going to be left empty-handed if that one piece is interacted with at all, which is very likely in Mid Power, as most decks are significantly more interactive than yours is. One key component that a deck that's built in the way yours is is lacking is resilience. Being able to re-cast your Commander after it's been removed once is nice, but it's nowhere near enough to produce a resilient deck. That's why, for Mid Power, builds with more interaction and stronger engines, but weaker tutoring and payoffs (this includes both combos and things like Ad Nauseam) are favored. If someone interacts with your one payoff that you're likely to have access to in your midgame, and your fallback for that is continuing to make land drops and drawing into more lands for the most part, then that's not going to cut it for Mid Power.
I can assure you that our Mentors have seen plenty of decks that are quite similar to this one during their time here - as a particular example with a different Commander, people often like to build Lord Windgrace decks in a similar way, only to find out that the deck doesn't end up working particularly well. Decks that are built in this way, this particular deck included, always end up having these issues in the long run. One thing I immediately notice from your game reports is that in none of the games, you're being interacted with in a significant way. That is very much not the standard for Mid Power.
It really wouldn't neuter your entire deck and strategy at all. The way you're portraying what was said by PlayEDH staff shows a fairly clear misunderstanding of what's going on. We're not making you sacrifice consistency at all with these suggestions - it's the exact opposite, actually. Like I mentioned earlier, what you perceive as consistency is that you're consistently leaning on the small handful of crutches your deck is running to keep things together, so to speak.
I'm glad you understand. Furthermore, going down on lands is very easy once you add more (efficient, think 1-3 mana) draw/card selection. For example, when you have Painful Truths, it also contributes to your likelihood to hit your fourth land drop while also providing you with additional cards. Some other suggestions along this line would be Abundant Harvest, Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood. If you replace 5 of your lands with 5 draws spells like these, not just hitting your fourth land drop, but also hitting every land drop after your fourth becomes significantly more likely.
I'm being serious here, your deck does not need 45 lands. The suggestion to cut 5 lands was actually quite conversative. If I personally were building a deck like this, I would never run more than 38 lands.
The takeaways from the discussion and what lead to the below changes were this:
  • Our deck construction and principals are based around constancy in executing our gameplan early and often while stalling my opponents long enough to execute it. However, this may lead to situations where if interacted with enough (similar to game reports I've had, or games against Purpheros where I just couldn't do anything). That we end up bricking and drawing too many lands and not enough actionable spells.
  • Playedh feedback is that we could should sacrifice some of that early game consistency (Ramp + Lands) in an effort to create more density in threats or interaction, this would prevent late game bricks or stalls if things go south.
After considering some of their feedback and looking at some of the numbers of our land + ramp I felt like maybe we had space for changes. Additionally, this would create significant room for threat density, sustain, smoothness in draws, even more interaction/removal. It felt like I had an opportunity to flesh out the slots where we had been so limited in previously.

My first pass on changes is below (This is in comparison to OP list not my own which had 3 of these changes already.)

Minus
- 1 Snow-Covered Forest
- 1 Forest
- 1 Snow-Covered Swamp
- 1 Elves of Deep Shadow
- 1 Rampant Growth
- 1 Murmuring Bosk
- 1 Dryad Arbor
- 1 Wasteland
- 1 Cavern of Souls
- 1 Into the North
- 1 Ad Nauseam

Plus
+1 Deathrite Shaman
+1 Retreat to Hagra
+1 Painful Truths
+1 Plains
+1 Mythos of Nethroi
+1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
+1 Druid Class
+1 Night's Whisper
+1 Despark
+1 Greensleeves, Maro-Sorcerer
+1 Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines

The above cuts put us at a 60% chance of casting TATGM on turn 3 with ramp. The added lower CMC draw spells still help us hit land drops when we want them. It has increased sustain + interaction and increased threat density for when our Plan A of FOTD goes south. The cut around Naus was just a Powerlevel (the main argument here is that really only blue decks can interact with a sorcery speed tutor into a sorcery speed Naus which is just really good card advantage) That cut could be ignored if you don't plan to play in PlayEDH discord at all, however, it's an easier pill to swallow since our Average CMC is going up with rest of these changes as well so that makes Naus worst in this version.

All in all, I'm not 100% sold on the suggestions, but I think the argument they made was valid enough for me to try it, which i've done so already a few games and results are promising. I'm sharing because the folks on here obviously helped build it and I wanted to get their opinion on the discussion/discourse above. For extra context I do understand the communities that maintain these discords make suggestions that may be biased towards a given community or such but I usually welcome feedback/critique on decks I've had parts in brewing because I think they provide a fresh perspective.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Gorillajay 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I mean lots of offense to them when I say that is such a bunch of drunk ass %$#%$#% written by people who do not understand Lands decks at all. :)

(I don't disagree with cutting Ad Nauseam as a good idea with mid-power, and I don't object to cutting a tutor or two either. But 43-45 lands is sometimes not enough--tons of them don't produce colors and are basically spells)

is Bazaar of Baghdad a land? Is Maze of Ith a land? Dryad Arbor?

In the 46 lands in the OP, these are not lands:
And you can make a pretty serious argument for all canopy lands being functionally closer to spells, and the fetchlands are weaponized.

Probably the biggest reason (other than lands == spells) you need more lands is because for effects like Field of the Dead to work, you need to double trigger off fetchlands. If you have too few fetchable sources you run out of fuel for that very early.

So when you cut fetchable lands you start cutting into the utility of Life from the Loam and Crucible of Worlds and Field of the Dead and Scute Swarm and Felidar Retreat and Avenger of Zendikar and and and and

38 lands is *nowhere near* enough. You end up with around 10 fetch targets--which means that after you have activated a fetch land ~5-10 times, it is exhausted. That makes it really, really hard to finish someone off with explosive fetch activations in a longer game.

In your propozed cuts, you have cut 5 fetch targets, getting you down from ~18 or so to ~13.

What this means is that by the time you have used, say, Polluted Delta (a narrow fetch) 5 times, it can no longer fetch. That doesn't sound like a lot, but they thin out really fast.

Re: cheap draw spells

Let's remember that draw spells cost tempo to play. Why would you want to play Night's Whisper when you could just hit all your land drops and play Horizon Canopy 3 times, triggering landfall as you go?

Draw spells in a deck like this should be synergistic or insanely good. Esper Sentinel and Sylvan Library more than Night's Whisper.

Entomb for Life from the Loam is better than casting Night's Whisper. etc. etc.

cutting Green Sun's Zenith and Dryad Arbor is pure insanity
Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
Our deck construction and principals are based around constancy in executing our gameplan early and often while stalling my opponents long enough to execute it. However, this may lead to situations where if interacted with enough (similar to game reports I've had, or games against Purpheros where I just couldn't do anything). That we end up bricking and drawing too many lands and not enough actionable spells.
Purphoros, God of the Forge doesn't ramp 1 every time it comes down. That's the fundamental distinction.

You cannot race Froggirl by killing her. All you can do is try to kill the Crucible of Worlds effects, which doesn't work with Volrath's Stronghold / Eternal Witness loops.

The only real vulnerability to removal you have is graveyard hate, and I think that's just the cost of doing business.

I should reiterate that I think cutting stuff like Seasons Past is a mistake. That's how you shrug off removal, by redrawing your best 5 cards later in the game not by drawing 2 :P

And I'll double Reiterate -- Volrath's Stronghold is a key inevitability tool that lets you power through interaction.

And by all means try it out and report out :) I think you'll find the deck is pretty boring and you're going to struggle finishing games with Field of the Dead / Scute Swarm type stuff, but hopefully I'm wrong!
Last edited by pokken 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
Thoughts?
I haven't been following this thread that closely, but the PlayEDH feedback re: swinginess definitely resonates with me. 45 lands + a bunch of tutors makes this deck look like a glass cannon. If you plan on running a small number of engine cards and tutoring for them every game, the deck will be able to go crazy in games where your opponents don't interact, but it's prone to flooding out if your tutors / engines are countered or killed. Those changes make the deck less explosive, but also less vulnerable to disruption.

...looking at your game reports, two of your wins were in 'slam finisher and lose to a board wipe' territory, while the notable loss was 'tutor got countered and flooded out', so that seems to align with that assessment.

Of course, I haven't played this deck myself, so it may be the case that T&GM are providing sufficient card draw to grind in the mid/lategame.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

PlayEDH mentors are notoriously awful. Suggesting that 38 lands are fine for a Lands deck is clown college tier. Ignore them and find another Discord that isn't governed by mouthbreathers. "Let's make your deck more consistent by cutting cards that make it more consistent." 😆

Well, it's official. I've got the proxies of the decklist in the OP printing right now and will be sleeving them up later for a couple of games tomorrow. The Tuesday group I sometimes play with can vary wildly in power level so I'm not too sure how useful the results will be, but I'll see how it goes.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I haven't been following this thread that closely, but the PlayEDH feedback re: swinginess definitely resonates with me. 45 lands + a bunch of tutors makes this deck look like a glass cannon. If you plan on running a small number of engine cards and tutoring for them every game, the deck will be able to go crazy in games where your opponents don't interact, but it's prone to flooding out if your tutors / engines are countered or killed. Those changes make the deck less explosive, but also less vulnerable to disruption.

...looking at your game reports, two of your wins were in 'slam finisher and lose to a board wipe' territory, while the notable loss was 'tutor got countered and flooded out', so that seems to align with that assessment.

Of course, I haven't played this deck myself, so it may be the case that T&GM are providing sufficient card draw to grind in the mid/lategame.
If I'm honest, the card draw is my biggest concern about the deck. That said, TATGM plus a Crucible effect is an absurd value engine. I'm curious why you think it looks like a glass cannon, though. 10% of the deck is spell-based interaction. We have 3 ways to find any interaction we need and the 3 land tutors to find the land-based interaction (Chasm/Maze/Strip/Waste). If the table is using removal and/or countermagic on TATGM twice and countermagic on your card draw spells (who the hell counters a tutor?) and destroying your Crucible effects and destroying your key lands and attacking your graveyard, then yeah, the deck will struggle, but I'm having a hard time imagining a deck that is resilient enough to withstand that level of interaction that isn't just pubstomping with a cEDH deck.

I mean no offense to @Gorillajay when I say this, especially because this is a new and untested deck, but overcommitting to the board only to run into a board wipe is a classic rookie mistake. Ya gotta be judicious. Be threatening without being dominant. It doesn't take much for the deck to "Oops, I win" with Hoof even if your entire army doesn't have haste (thanks, Scute Swarm) by just producing bodies to make Hoof's effect larger.

Like I said though, I would like to find more room for more medium level card draw at instant speed. Even if you don't have countermagic to keep your mana up for, denying opponents the information that you're about to fill up your hand is extremely relevant. Skeletal Scrying, Stinging Study, Plumb the Forbidden, and black FoF are probably all better than Night's Whisper et al. because of that (and because they draw more cards).

Jesus Christ, I just remembered they suggested Whisper to hit your fourth land, as if the whole point of the damn deck isn't to consistently poop out TATGM early.

EDIT: I think 45 lands is probably the sweet spot. This will on average give us 5 lands by turn 4, which means we have 6 mana and can thus consistently start casting two spells per turn (read: our critical turn). I'm also increasingly unconvinced that I need a second Hoof in Kamahl. Sure, if for some weird reason we get Capped or something it sucks, but how often does that happen? And even if it does, we can still grind folks out with zombies. This frees up two slots for more card draw. I'm a sucker for Hostile Negotiations and haven't had a chance to play it yet so I'll give it a go. I guess I'll try Stinging Study over Skeletal Scrying again. Lower ceiling higher floor more consistent yada yada yada.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Jesus Christ, I just remembered they suggested Whisper to hit your fourth land, as if the whole point of the damn deck isn't to consistently poop out TATGM early.
yup, textbook sequencing failure.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
If I'm honest, the card draw is my biggest concern about the deck.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Skeletal Scrying, Stinging Study, Plumb the Forbidden, and black FoF are probably all better than Night's Whisper et al. because of that (and because they draw more cards).
I think it's a legitimate concern but I think the answer is bomb card draw -- Eerie Ultimatum / Seasons Past / Plumb the Forbidden / Genesis Wave type stuff.

Which reminds me, we should be playing Genesis Wave :P

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I think it's a legitimate concern but I think the answer is bomb card draw -- Eerie Ultimatum / Seasons Past / Plumb the Forbidden / Genesis Wave type stuff.

Which reminds me, we should be playing Genesis Wave :P
With so many ways to recur lands specifically I think Ultimatum is a little lackluster here. SP is sorcery speed which means it's telegraphed more than Bald Bull's charge as well as being reliant on relevant cards being in your graveyard. Plumb is promising but requires a board state which makes me distrustful. I want my draw to be universally useful, not conditional.

Genesis Wave is, of course, insane. I hate to harp on this, but its random nature makes it inconsistent. Sure, there are times it'll more or less win us the game, but we likely were already in a winning position and it doesn't do too much to catch us up.

Gorillajay

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Probably the biggest reason (other than lands == spells) you need more lands is because for effects like Field of the Dead to work, you need to double trigger off fetchlands. If you have too few fetchable sources you run out of fuel for that very early.

So when you cut fetchable lands you start cutting into the utility of Life from the Loam and Crucible of Worlds and Field of the Dead and Scute Swarm and Felidar Retreat and Avenger of Zendikar and and and and

38 lands is *nowhere near* enough. You end up with around 10 fetch targets--which means that after you have activated a fetch land ~5-10 times, it is exhausted. That makes it really, really hard to finish someone off with explosive fetch activations in a longer game.

In your propozed cuts, you have cut 5 fetch targets, getting you down from ~18 or so to ~13.

What this means is that by the time you have used, say, Polluted Delta (a narrow fetch) 5 times, it can no longer fetch. That doesn't sound like a lot, but they thin out really fast.

This was my biggest concern with their suggestions. Is that the nuts and bolts of the deck become weaker when we begin to strip out lands.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
If the table is using removal and/or countermagic on TATGM twice and countermagic on your card draw spells (who the hell counters a tutor?) and destroying your Crucible effects and destroying your key lands and attacking your graveyard, then yeah, the deck will struggle, but I'm having a hard time imagining a deck that is resilient enough to withstand that level of interaction that isn't just pubstomping with a cEDH deck
According to this particular mod and reviewer they have a VERY HIGH expectation of the level of interaction in the Mid category which i think is not accurate in practice. I even mentioned this in my conversations with the mods:
Ok so in that situation I just lose and wouldn't that be ok?

Take my notable loss example:

- My commander gets killed early on along with my land tutor effect elvish reclaimer (Both separate actions from opponents)
- My follow up tutor effect gets countered (GSZ)
- I use interaction to keep the game going and make sure my opponents are in check.
- I draw Necro in an effort to start rebuilding (Replace this scenario above with Ad naus example you just gave me). It gets countered again and now i can't draw more cards and lose. The Necro could just as easily be a tutor or ad naus.

Why are you instead insisting that i play a different clunky card? Instead of redundant effects for the cards that fit my strategy? That is not the game plan i want to execute?

If all the above happens, which we say is the "goal of interaction" for mid (but may not be the reality as my reports suggest) then i lose and that is just ok. I think it's fair to lose after being interacted with in detrimental way 4+ times.
I think the crux of the argument is how much interaction can we expect and at what rate do we expect to have to interact with others in response?

In my experience in lower tiers of power (like mid) people play a few interactions (Removal, wipes counters all totaled) maybe~10 at MOST, then they jam pact their decks with synergies and self fulfilling plays. I know this is the case in my personal IRL meta as well. Obviously a control deck would be an exception to that but overall, the true interaction at the level they're suggesting really only happen at CEDH levels in my opinion.

It's also hard for me to imagine a scenario where some of our engines are being interacted with in a way we can't recover. Lands like FOTD, and Loam are notoriously hard to deal with making our so called "Crutch" actually pretty resilient. I specifically mentioned this to them as well:

Them:
While you will have hands that often have many lands, due to the number you have you will likely end up having too many, too often. Even if you start deploying them and slowly turning them into cards by sacrificing them, you likely will just draw into further lands, leaving you unable to participate in the game in a meaningful manner.

Your strategy of taking high power cards to ensure that you can consistently assemble your strategy works in theory, but will not work out well in practice. Very often you'll assemble your pieces and then sit there doing little else.
Me:
Can you elaborate why or how it works in theory, but not in practice?

Having 9+ effecient tutors which i can cast early as well as 3/4 draw heavy spells gives me around a 60-70% chance of having one of them in my opening hand.

Which means after I ramp on turn 3 and play my commander i can very quickly use a tutor or draw to get more gas and begin interacting meaningful with other players in the game.

Land tutors let me find Field of the dead, glacial chasm, maze of ith to buy more time if needed.
Other tutors let me find more engines and value OR wipes/removal to buy more time if needed.
Primary tutor targets of field of the dead and life from the loam are VERY hard to interact with and resilient no?

Also once again, my commander has First strike and Deathtouch. Even if removed after ramping I can very easily play it again for 6 mana. As when she was out i played additional land. (Another reason to have a high land count).
Them:
There are two issues with your statement here.

1. Both land destruction and effects such as Bojuka Bog or other graveyard exile effects are very common in Mid Power, so no - these cards are not resilient and hard to interact with.

2. If your one tutor finds one of those, and that's the payoff you have access to in a significant portion of 2/3 of your games, you are not:
- refilling your hand meaningfully
- developing a strong board quickly enough
- able to interact with your opponents in a consistent and meaningful way when they attempt to generate an overwhelming advantage
Me:
A gy exile effect is a problem but the window to do that would be small. And every deck has a weakness.

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Purphoros, God of the Forge doesn't ramp 1 every time it comes down. That's the fundamental distinction.

You cannot race Froggirl by killing her. All you can do is try to kill the Crucible of Worlds effects, which doesn't work with Volrath's Stronghold / Eternal Witness loops.
I don't really agree here, Purpohoros in particular can come out quick and they can kill us and race us pretty easily. We have a great engine and are very resilient once established. However, Volrath's and Seasons past loops are inevitable but slow. It takes some times to assemble a lethal attack plenty of time for a purphoros player to pump out tokens and kill us unless we have some form of good sustain like Overgrown Estate or the like.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I mean no offense to @Gorillajay when I say this, especially because this is a new and untested deck, but overcommitting to the board only to run into a board wipe is a classic rookie mistake. Ya gotta be judicious. Be threatening without being dominant. It doesn't take much for the deck to "Oops, I win" with Hoof even if your entire army doesn't have haste (thanks, Scute Swarm) by just producing bodies to make Hoof's effect larger.
None taken, in my all my game reports I was trying to be cognitive of this, but without haste there's not a great way to always strike this balance with this particular deck. In my experience at some point or another in this deck you come to an inflection point where you're like "OK, i guess it's time to sh*t out tokens and make myself the threat, then hope i untap with them." There's not a great way to do this without telegraphing it or exposing yourself to a board wipe given that it requires some permanents on board. Field of the Dead + Crucible of Worlds effect + Exploration effect + multiple fetches. Maybe a double effect Ancient Greenwarden if we're feeling a little greedy.

I don't really know how to be judicious when the reality is I need those things to win. (Also, totally open to feedback here, is there are lines of play here I can take that get me there in a more "surprising" or "judicious" way. It's just not super obvious to me given the constraints I mentioned above.)

My meta is pretty fast so getting to a point where i can fully setup Volrath + Ewitt + Seasons past loops for several turns or hope to make tons of tokens + Finale in the same turn just often isn't possible.

I guess a some good questions to help clarify above discussion would be:
  • At what turn do we expect to try to win?
  • At what turn do we expect our opponents try to win?
  • At what turn do we expect to establish a real engine? Crucible/Loam + Token producer
  • How much interaction can we expect and at what rate do we expect to have to interact with others in response?

Mookie

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I'm curious why you think it looks like a glass cannon, though.
Glass cannon doesn't mean you're light on interaction - it means you're soft to interaction. My main concern here is also card draw - looking at the OP, it looks like the decklist is leaning on a relatively small number of extremely powerful draw engines, and may do poorly if those engines are disrupted. Looking at the list, the ones I see are:
Four ways to draw extra cards feels very low, and you don't have much recursion beyond Eternal Witness and Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary. If I were to play against this deck, my gameplan would be to keep those cards off the table and hope the deck runs out of gas. T&GM can draw additional cards, but only once per turn, and they have to attack (which may not always be feasible if you want them as a blocker).

Obviously, there is the argument that all the tutors function as extra copies of these effects, but feels like you'll run out of targets eventually. In particular, I would expect opponents to be willing to burn their own tutors on finding answers to Necropotence and Bolas's Citadel.

The deck does have a secondary value engine related to lands, but those don't actually put extra spells in hand (and, again, I would expect opponents to kill them when possible). These can function as card draw if you have Horizon Canopy or another cycling land available, but that feels sort of clunky to do repeatedly.

Again, it's very possible that I'm undervaluing T&GM - it may be that the commander + a Crucible effect is sufficient value by itself to not need additional card draw. Still, I do think cutting a few lands for extra card draw seems like a reasonable change. At the very least, I don't hate the idea of adding Tireless Tracker or Augur of Autumn in as extra draw engines that can be fetched off Green Sun's Zenith.

edit: I'll call out that most of this commentary is from the perspective of trying to win through disruption by casting spells. If your primary win condition is Field of the Dead, then the current level of land recursion is probably sufficient - FotD (and lands in general) is extremely difficult to interact with. I'll also agree that most metas have less interaction than what the PlayEDH people are expecting - I know my own meta certainly does.
Last edited by Mookie 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

pokken

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
My meta is pretty fast so getting to a point where i can fully setup Volrath + Ewitt + Seasons past loops for several turns or hope to make tons of tokens + Finale in the same turn just often isn't possible.
If you're running into a loop where Seasons Past loops can't go over the top you might be either:
1) making the wrong play. sometimes SP/DT + Hour of Revelation is better than anything else you can be doing. Just loop sweepers until they give up at life.
2) need to run Eye of Ugin to punish some combo players. Eye for Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger or Emrakul, the Promised End fix combos really fast.
Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
At what turn do we expect to try to win?
At what turn do we expect our opponents try to win?
At what turn do we expect to establish a real engine? Crucible/Loam + Token producer
How much interaction can we expect and at what rate do we expect to have to interact with others in response?
This is somewhat raw but in a vacuum, I expect most of my decks to be threatening to run away with the game by turn 4-5, and win by turn 10 through rounds of interaction. In the context of this deck I would aim to just keep playing 2+ lands per turn. I would like to be seeing a crucible effect right after TGM so I can keep playing 2 lands per turn.

The general flow would be to drop *one threat* and force them to beat it, and keep doing that until shields are down to Finale of Devastation something in (or drop Felidar Retreat and play 3 lands or whatever).

The most likely sequence I think of in this deck is that other people are faster than you (since that's the EDH Meta these days, ramp ramp ramp go off early and hope you win). Then someone has to drop a sweeper (possibly you), and you recover with Field of the Dead and then finale:P

I think we should be doing as much as we can to make sure that the attack surface for our strategy is very low.

This deck is, imho, a deck that wants to hold one piece of removal for combos and not do any other interacting outside of the combat step. Put a decent amount of power there and attack people who are dangrous, but otherwise don't interact with point removal on anything.

Another common scenario is you've dropped TGM, gotten ahead on lands, then you Hour of Revelation or similar to pull everyone back to square one where you're +5 lands and everyone else's mana dorks/rocks are gone. It's another really good reason why you don't want a lot of permanents for card advantage; you wanna drop a single landfall payoff and then threaten with it, and not be set back much by a sweeper.

So specific short answers
At what turn do we expect to try to win? -- turn 8-10!
At what turn do we expect our opponents try to win? -- Probably a turn earlier (6-7) and then punish them
At what turn do we expect to establish a real engine? Crucible/Loam + Token producer -- immediately after TGM ideally!
How much interaction can we expect and at what rate do we expect to have to interact with others in response? -- We expect to not present a great surface for interaction, and we want to interact only 1) if someone is very far ahead and we can punish the entire table with a sweeper, or 2) we can spot removal to stop a combo.
Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
(Loam/Crucible/+land drops/etc).
in relation to this, I believe that not playing at least one cycling land is a mistake. Tranquil Thicket + Life from the Loam is an unstoppable CA engine that is fairly efficient.
Last edited by pokken 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Gorillajay

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I'm curious why you think it looks like a glass cannon, though.
Glass cannon doesn't mean you're light on interaction - it means you're soft to interaction. My main concern here is also card draw - looking at the OP, it looks like the decklist is leaning on a relatively small number of extremely powerful draw engines, and may do poorly if those engines are disrupted. Looking at the list, the ones I see are:
Four ways to draw extra cards feels very low, and you don't have much recursion beyond Eternal Witness and Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary. If I were to play against this deck, my gameplan would be to keep those cards off the table and hope the deck runs out of gas. T&GM can draw additional cards, but only once per turn, and they have to attack (which may not always be feasible if you want them as a blocker).

Obviously, there is the argument that all the tutors function as extra copies of these effects, but feels like you'll run out of targets eventually. In particular, I would expect opponents to be willing to burn their own tutors on finding answers to Necropotence and Bolas's Citadel.

The deck does have a secondary value engine related to lands, but those don't actually put extra spells in hand (and, again, I would expect opponents to kill them when possible). These can function as card draw if you have Horizon Canopy or another cycling land available, but that feels sort of clunky to do repeatedly.

Again, it's very possible that I'm undervaluing T&GM - it may be that the commander + a Crucible effect is sufficient value by itself to not need additional card draw. Still, I do think cutting a few lands for extra card draw seems like a reasonable change. At the very least, I don't hate the idea of adding Tireless Tracker or Augur of Autumn in as extra draw engines that can be fetched off Green Sun's Zenith.

edit: I'll call out that most of this commentary is from the perspective of trying to win through disruption by casting spells. If your primary win condition is Field of the Dead, then the current level of land recursion is probably sufficient - FotD (and lands in general) is extremely difficult to interact with. I'll also agree that most metas have less interaction than what the PlayEDH people are expecting - I know my own meta certainly does.

Yep, i think this is primarily what they're suggesting as the main weakness. We have redundancy in tutors, but if those key cards some how falter (Necro, Bolas's, etc) then our backup engine of land grinding using TATGM and/orHorizon Canopy is slower and a bit conditional on other effects to really generate value (Loam/Crucible/+land drops/etc).
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
This is observation as well. Necro and Bolas's are obviously very easy to interact with so even in lower interaction thresholds they get dealt with pretty often. FOTD and Loam not as much - However, they are slow....

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
If you're running into a loop where Seasons Past loops can't go over the top you might be either:
1) making the wrong play. sometimes SP/DT + Hour of Revelation is better than anything else you can be doing. Just loop sweepers until they give up at life.
2) need to run Eye of Ugin to punish some combo players. Eye for Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger or Emrakul, the Promised End fix combos really fast.

This takes like 11 mana at best, maybe even 14? I know we ramp pretty well and have land drops but just What kind of battle cruiser meta are you playing in that this can be the standard in something you can establish regularly each game. My opponents are often able to win well before you could do a play like this.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

To quote someone who wasn't shoved into nearly enough lockers as a kid, facts don't care about your feelings.

These are some glaringly dumb points:
Very often you'll assemble your pieces and then sit there doing little else.
What? What deck assembles their pieces then do nothing? What an absurd non-statement.
land destruction ... [is] very common in Mid Power
okay.png

The only valid criticism they have is the lack of raw draw power outside of bombs, which I willingly concede. They obviously have no idea what they're talking about, and I encourage you to keep posting their responses.
Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
None taken, in my all my game reports I was trying to be cognitive of this, but without haste there's not a great way to always strike this balance with this particular deck. In my experience at some point or another in this deck you come to an inflection point where you're like "OK, i guess it's time to sh*t out tokens and make myself the threat, then hope i untap with them." There's not a great way to do this without telegraphing it or exposing yourself to a board wipe given that it requires some permanents on board. Field of the Dead + Crucible of Worlds effect + Exploration effect + multiple fetches. Maybe a double effect Ancient Greenwarden if we're feeling a little greedy.

I don't really know how to be judicious when the reality is I need those things to win. (Also, totally open to feedback here, is there are lines of play here I can take that get me there in a more "surprising" or "judicious" way. It's just not super obvious to me given the constraints I mentioned above.)
There's definitely a point where you have to commit and hope to untap. No denying that. You just have to pick your moment and read the table. If someone else has a semi-threatening board state and you commit, you're asking to get swept away. My favorite time to deploy a non-Field token producer is right after a board wipe. Obviously it's one less card to stop you, but it also allows you to start pressuring life totals without trying to win all at once. Just making a couple of tokens per turn is enough to start applying pressure to life totals. Sure, we can "combo" out with Hoof/Retreat by buffing our army, but baiting board wipes is a big part of go-wide strategies. It's the deck's ability to rebuild quickly after a wipe and its narrow interactive surface that makes it so resilient.
  • At what turn do we expect to try to win?
  • At what turn do we expect our opponents try to win?
  • At what turn do we expect to establish a real engine? Crucible/Loam + Token producer
  • How much interaction can we expect and at what rate do we expect to have to interact with others in response?
1) This is a very difficult question to answer for a non-combo deck in a multiplayer format. I tend to look at critical turns instead. As our average mana value is around 3 if we have 5 land drops (plus a ramp spell earlier on) by turn 4, we're already able to start pumping out multiple spells per turn or single powerful spells which will further push us ahead.

2) I loathe the average power level scale (if a precon is a 5, what are 1-4 for?) but I would say this deck is an 8 by those metrics. More powerful than your average casual EDH deck, but sub-cEDH. I would expect people to start threatening wins if left alone by turn 5 or 6 or so. Fortunately, in addition to all the other neat things our commander does, they also slow your opponents down.

3) My goal is to get a Crucible online by turn 4, assuming we get TATGM out on turn 3. As for token producers, it depends. Field is usually safe to play if you draw it early but I wouldn't tutor for it unless it immediately made a zombie when I played it. The others require a little more finesse. Scute and Avenger, as creatures, are inherently more fragile and more likely to get swept away in the early and mid game, but Retreat is pretty solid all the time. I see one, maybe two wipes per game that get more than just creatures, so I wouldn't cast it willy nilly, but if you think it's time to start applying pressure go for it. I think the answer to when it's time to initiate our end game will reveal itself with practice.

4) I think this is impossible to analyze in a vacuum as every meta is different. Even in Discords with stringent deck-balancing rules you find yourself in lopsided games due to both the incompetence of moderators and the inherent randomness of a singleton format. That said, I think we can expect our Crucibles to be ill-liked but not kill on sight, and since we're a slower deck, I think we should expect to try and slow things down with our removal as well.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Ad Nauseam is there, and while strictly speaking it's not raw card advantage Top with recurring fetches is an incredibly strong card selection engine. That said, I'm inclined to agree about the density of draw spells.

re: your game plan: would you know to do this blindly against a deck with TATGM in the command zone? Sure, some of the card draw spells are so strong as to be killed on sight or countered without having to think too much about it, but knowing to do so without knowing a decklist is a different feat.

And that's one of the many great things about TATGM. In a pinch and need cards? Attack!
I mean, there's no real answer to Necro. I played it, I drew 19 cards, and removing it means I can start drawing cards again without spending life.

As fir Citadel, well, yeah. But blowing up a value engine - which would let me win otherwise - is one less answer to my actual threats.
They don't put spells in your hand per se, but they do trigger Landfall and pump up your available mana to start taking advantage of, well, anything you draw.
It's a lot of value. It won't win games directly, but it puts you far, far ahead.

On an unrelated note, I sure would like to see the PlayEDH Discord goons to rate Phelddagrif.

pokken

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
This takes like 11 mana at best, maybe even 14? I know we ramp pretty well and have land drops but just What kind of battle cruiser meta are you playing in that this can be the standard in something you can establish regularly each game. My opponents are often able to win well before you could do a play like this.
If you're having a bad game you should have 11 mana on turn 6. And in this scenario you have previously cast Hour of Revelation, so where are people winning from?

Seasons Past / Hour of Revelation loop is also 9 mana *this turn* to stop whatever's going on -- SP for Hour, Hour for WWW.

11 on turn 6 assumes *zero ramp other than TGM and whatever came before it* and assumes you didn't tutor for Gaea's Cradle which while it's not in the OP is certainly in my lands deck.

What turn are people threatening wins on in your meta? (And is no one else interacting with them?)

Gorillajay

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
The most likely sequence I think of in this deck is that other people are faster than you (since that's the EDH Meta these days, ramp ramp ramp go off early and hope you win). Then someone has to drop a sweeper (possibly you), and you recover with Field of the Dead and then finale:P

I think we should be doing as much as we can to make sure that the attack surface for our strategy is very low.

This deck is, imho, a deck that wants to hold one piece of removal for combos and not do any other interacting outside of the combat step. Put a decent amount of power there and attack people who are dangrous, but otherwise don't interact with point removal on anything.

Another common scenario is you've dropped TGM, gotten ahead on lands, then you Hour of Revelation or similar to pull everyone back to square one where you're +5 lands and everyone else's mana dorks/rocks are gone. It's another really good reason why you don't want a lot of permanents for card advantage; you wanna drop a single landfall payoff and then threaten with it, and not be set back much by a sweeper.

So specific short answers
At what turn do we expect to try to win? -- turn 8-10!
At what turn do we expect our opponents try to win? -- Probably a turn earlier (6-7) and then punish them
At what turn do we expect to establish a real engine? Crucible/Loam + Token producer -- immediately after TGM ideally!
How much interaction can we expect and at what rate do we expect to have to interact with others in response? -- We expect to not present a great surface for interaction, and we want to interact only 1) if someone is very far ahead and we can punish the entire table with a sweeper, or 2) we can spot removal to stop a combo.
I know you mentioned this is a bit in a vacuum, but i think theres a few key things here to call out.
  • The above strategy is heavily dependent on finding a sweeper and it resolving. We only have 4 of them and 2 ways to tutor them 6 total.
  • The strategy of having the expectation to interact with the single most threatening thing early on is fine, but it becomes way worst when multiple opponents are doing it and when they are doing it early on, as this heavily impacts your ability to setup your engines and begin gaining value out of them.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
If you're having a bad game you should have 11 mana on turn 6. And in this scenario you have previously cast Hour of Revelation, so where are people winning from?

11 lands on 6 seems very tough to get to if you're needing to interact with or expect any interaction from your opponents at all (or a bad game as you mention). Especially if you didn't ramp. But lets assume you ramped anyway since our deck does that really well.
  • Turn 1 Land
  • Turn 2 Farseek, Land (3 lands)
  • Turn 3 TATGM Land, Land (5 Lands)
  • Turn 4 Land, Land (7 Lands) - Probably running low on cards at this point unless we have Loam/Crucible.
  • Turn 5 This is a point at which i can expect a healthy amount of interaction or I start running low because i'm missing Loam/Crucible/Tutor. If I have my engine established and no interaction on Thalia, I can expect to potentially get to 11 lands by turn 6. If either of the above 2 things fail, OR if i have to instead use my mana to interact with an opponent who has similarly done something of concern, then it's just not going to happen.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Seasons Past / Hour of Revelation loop is also 9 mana *this turn* to stop whatever's going on -- SP for Hour, Hour for WWW.

11 on turn 6 assumes *zero ramp other than TGM and whatever came before it* and assumes you didn't tutor for Gaea's Cradle which while it's not in the OP is certainly in my lands deck.
If you're splitting it between turns then yeah makes more sense. The way initially read your suggestion was doing it all on one turn.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago

What turn are people threatening wins on in your meta? (And is no one else interacting with them?)
I would say my opponents are often prepped to win around turn 6 or similar to your suggestion, and no not as often as they "should" be. Mid in playedh and my personal meta seems to be a bunch of people trying to just go off as early as they can(basically playing all the best ramp possible outside of the very fast mana like Mana Crypt + Mox Diamonds - Mana crypts even sometimes creep their way in.) and then just hope people aren't playing enough interaction.

pokken

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
I would say my opponents are often prepped to win around turn 6 or similar to your suggestion, and no not as often as they "should" be. Mid in playedh and my personal meta seems to be a bunch of people trying to just go off as early as they can(basically playing all the best ramp possible outside of the very fast mana like Mana Crypt + Mox Diamonds - Mana crypts even sometimes creep their way in.) and then just hope people aren't playing enough interaction.
That type of glassy meta is really what playing a bunch of lands is looking to prey on, but you need to back it up with punishing them with stuff like Collector Ouphe / Hour of Revelation / Bane of Progress etc. Gotta pick the package that's appropriate.

to add...

Having a higher land count makes it so you have to spend less mana to get to your 11 lands threshold. You're basically wanting to Loam once and that should get you there, vs. castin Night's Whisper and getting 1 extra land. Or cast Necropotence or Sylvan Library either of which guarantee you hit your lands forevermore (or Crucible of Worlds etc).

Once you drop a 2-3 mana bomb card draw effect on turn 4 (or sometimes on turn 3, since you may have loam mana if you curved exploration into TGM). your mana from there on is basically free -- you'll have something like ~20 mana to play with between turn 4/5/6 depending.

Mookie

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
re: your game plan: would you know to do this blindly against a deck with TATGM in the command zone? Sure, some of the card draw spells are so strong as to be killed on sight or countered without having to think too much about it, but knowing to do so without knowing a decklist is a different feat.
I've played enough games both with and against lands decks to know that Crucible of Worlds + Exploration = bad time for opponents.

For the draw effects specifically? Necro and Citadel are kill-on-sight regardless of the deck they're in. Gitrog I might leave alone, but will try to kill if its controller has a Crucible effect. It's a card I would not be surprised to see killed. Sylvan Library I'll often leave alone.

I'll also say that Necro and Ad Nauseam aren't cards I expect to see in casual metas - they usually only show up in cEDH / more spikey decks. But yeah, they will usually win the game on their own if they resolve.

More broadly, I don't think relying on opponents not knowing your deck is a good plan in established metas - it will work the first time you play against an opponent, and maybe the second time, but it's not a feasible defense if you play against the same people regularly.

re: 11 lands on turn 6 - I'll point out that on that turn, you'll have drawn 13 cards total. This isn't a realistic plan without a Crucible effect.

pokken

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
re: 11 lands on turn 6 - I'll point out that on that turn, you'll have drawn 13 cards total. This isn't a realistic plan without a Crucible effect.
We need to run a lot of them, but there're more than you think! There should be enough combination of tutors and effects to almost always see some kind of 'hit all your lands' on turn 4 if you're mulling properly.
(just off the top of my head anyway).

A lot of times you will not get there, but a lot of the time you will have *a lot more* than 11 lands

Gorillajay

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
land destruction ... [is] very common in Mid Power
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
okay.png
Lol seeing you all have a very similar responses to what i had is very validating.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
The only valid criticism they have is the lack of raw draw power outside of bombs, which I willingly concede. They obviously have no idea what they're talking about, and I encourage you to keep posting their responses.
This was actually the first point I conceded to them before they continued to press for more changes... Ask and you shall receive...

Me:
Why are you instead insisting that i play a different clunky card? Instead of redundant effects for the cards that fit my strategy? That is not the game plan i want to execute?
Them:
Why are you assuming that every card that could fit into the deck instead would automatically be clunky?
Me:
I was told to add more overrun effects, or token generators. (and maybe a draw spell which i did mention i agree a bit with). Drawing those instead of any tutor doesn't let me rebuild towards my end goal of winning.

Replace necro or a tutor with drawing end-raze forerunners in the scenario above and it feels pretty bad.

The effects i do have are pretty condensed in how they win. Avenger, scute, scarm and felidar retreat can all be an army in a can.
Them:
Yes, actually - that's a good point. I had missed that the mentor wrote in their initial check that you should play more Overrun effects instead. I agree with you that that wouldn't necessarily be the right way to go. However, I do think cards that help you quickly build a threatening board state would be excellent additions in those slots, one example being Titania. Look for those types of effects/engines for those slots instead. However, the rest of Reyemile's evaluation still stands.
Me:
- Adding 1 or 2 card draw effects, and maybe 1 more threat (Kamahl Heart of Krosa was on my radar anyway) I can see being valid suggestions.

However, removing one of my key draw engines (Naus, A tutor, 5 lands, and a few ramp spells) would be 1000% neuter my entire deck and its strategy.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
There's definitely a point where you have to commit and hope to untap. No denying that. You just have to pick your moment and read the table. If someone else has a semi-threatening board state and you commit, you're asking to get swept away. My favorite time to deploy a non-Field token producer is right after a board wipe. Obviously it's one less card to stop you, but it also allows you to start pressuring life totals without trying to win all at once. Just making a couple of tokens per turn is enough to start applying pressure to life totals. Sure, we can "combo" out with Hoof/Retreat by buffing our army, but baiting board wipes is a big part of go-wide strategies. It's the deck's ability to rebuild quickly after a wipe and its narrow interactive surface that makes it so resilient.
Good to know i have the correct expectation here, and yeah i think finding that point in the game and having a bit of finesse just takes reps and practice with the deck since it's going to be different per game.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
1) This is a very difficult question to answer for a non-combo deck in a multiplayer format. I tend to look at critical turns instead. As our average mana value is around 3 if we have 5 land drops (plus a ramp spell earlier on) by turn 4, we're already able to start pumping out multiple spells per turn or single powerful spells which will further push us ahead.

2) I loathe the average power level scale (if a precon is a 5, what are 1-4 for?) but I would say this deck is an 8 by those metrics. More powerful than your average casual EDH deck, but sub-cEDH. I would expect people to start threatening wins if left alone by turn 5 or 6 or so. Fortunately, in addition to all the other neat things our commander does, they also slow your opponents down.

3) My goal is to get a Crucible online by turn 4, assuming we get TATGM out on turn 3. As for token producers, it depends. Field is usually safe to play if you draw it early but I wouldn't tutor for it unless it immediately made a zombie when I played it. The others require a little more finesse. Scute and Avenger, as creatures, are inherently more fragile and more likely to get swept away in the early and mid game, but Retreat is pretty solid all the time. I see one, maybe two wipes per game that get more than just creatures, so I wouldn't cast it willy nilly, but if you think it's time to start applying pressure go for it. I think the answer to when it's time to initiate our end game will reveal itself with practice.

4) I think this is impossible to analyze in a vacuum as every meta is different. Even in Discords with stringent deck-balancing rules you find yourself in lopsided games due to both the incompetence of moderators and the inherent randomness of a singleton format. That said, I think we can expect our Crucibles to be ill-liked but not kill on sight, and since we're a slower deck, I think we should expect to try and slow things down with our removal as well.
All fair points, i think this is a reasonable expectation for how i expect this deck to perform in my current meta at least.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I've played enough games both with and against lands decks to know that Crucible of Worlds + Exploration = bad time for opponents.

For the draw effects specifically? Necro and Citadel are kill-on-sight regardless of the deck they're in. Gitrog I might leave alone, but will try to kill if its controller has a Crucible effect. It's a card I would not be surprised to see killed. Sylvan Library I'll often leave alone.

I'll also say that Necro and Ad Nauseam aren't cards I expect to see in casual metas - they usually only show up in cEDH / more spikey decks. But yeah, they will usually win the game on their own if they resolve.

More broadly, I don't think relying on opponents not knowing your deck is a good plan in established metas - it will work the first time you play against an opponent, and maybe the second time, but it's not a feasible defense if you play against the same people regularly.

I think this is a very important thing to note. I myself was not giving my opponents enough credit in identifying our engines as threats and expecting interaction. as well as not really "knowing" our commander, however that honeymoon phase will end and i'm sure TATGM will earn a bit of a rep. Better to adjust now before it happens. Even in Metas where we think there is a lack of interaction, i believe an opponent will respond appropriately to Bolas's, necro, crucible + exploration, etc. ESPECIALLY if they've seen the deck before.

I think they key thing here is to respond and not OVERREACT as our friends at PlayEDH suggest and just gut our engines/lands in an expectation for all the interaction in the world.

Perhaps adding a bit more draw and 1 more threat like initial thoughts suggested could be a happy medium.

pokken

All of that is why Life from the Loam is the best thing and we should play Entomb btw :) (and Tranquil Thicket

Mookie

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
Perhaps adding a bit more draw and 1 more threat like initial thoughts suggested could be a happy medium.
FWIW, while I do think 46 lands is a bit excessive, I'd probably just go down to 43 or so - I don't think going all the way down to 38 is necessary, particularly when you're running Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary and other spell lands. Your commander turns excess lands into card draw, so running a larger number of lands seems like a good idea.

I'd probably also run another utility land or two as tutor targets for Knight of the Reliquary / Crop Rotation - Castle Locthwain / War Room as a mana sink sounds reasonable. I'm a big fan of mana sink lands in decks that may flood out.

Also: if ever there were a deck for Drownyard Temple, this is definitely it. Have I mentioned its synergy Knight of the Reliquary + Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth already? I think I did in the previous thread. :D

Beyond that? I feel like Tireless Tracker and Titania, Protector of Argoth are two cards that work particularly well with the fetch + Crucible plan.

....I guess I would technically also cut some tutors in favor of other stuff, but that's entirely due to personal preference, and not something I'll actually recommend.

My general philosophy is to do a bunch of testing before making major changes - it's easy to be an armchair philosopher and make recommendations, but tuning for your meta and personal preferences is much more difficult. If the deck is running well, then you probably don't need to make major changes.

Gorillajay

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
EDIT: I think 45 lands is probably the sweet spot. This will on average give us 5 lands by turn 4, which means we have 6 mana and can thus consistently start casting two spells per turn (read: our critical turn). I'm also increasingly unconvinced that I need a second Hoof in Kamahl. Sure, if for some weird reason we get Capped or something it sucks, but how often does that happen? And even if it does, we can still grind folks out with zombies. This frees up two slots for more card draw. I'm a sucker for Hostile Negotiations and haven't had a chance to play it yet so I'll give it a go. I guess I'll try Stinging Study over Skeletal Scrying again. Lower ceiling higher floor more consistent yada yada yada.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
FWIW, while I do think 46 lands is a bit excessive, I'd probably just go down to 43 or so - I don't think going all the way down to 38 is necessary, particularly when you're running Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary and other spell lands. Your commander turns excess lands into card draw, so running a larger number of lands seems like a good idea.
I'm a meet in the middle type guy.... 44 Lands puts us just under the 60% threshold to have 5 lands on turn 4. Cutting a ramp (something @TheGildedGoose has talked about doing before) puts us just under a 70% chance of turn 3 TATGM. See screenshots below. This gives us 3 free slots.

Eternal Witness slot was originally a flex but feels like it needs to stay given our lack of recursion outside of Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary. The other flex spot of Seasons Past / Kamahl, Heart of Krosa + 3 new spots spots gives us 4 in total. 2 of which should probably be draw, the others being Flex (Probably a threat/sustain spell).

For me Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines is in my Slot for Kamahl, since she's good value and disruption + i have one now. As far as the other three i'll try the below:

- Plains(for me, Cavern of souls in OP - Not fetchable)
- Wasteland (Not fetchable, and Strip mine is enough for my meta)
- Ilysian Caryatid - Weakest 2cmc ramp.
- Into the North - Weakest 2cmc ramp
Edit: Maybe it's Into the North Instead of Caryatid given we play Natural Order now?, the former triggers landfall though... once again splitting hairs..

+ Hostile Negotiations - I tried it before and it wasn't terrible, i really like that it puts the other cards in the yard. Maybe the fact this this is just ok is ok.
+Titania, Protector of Argoth - Her land recursion when she hits the board is immediately impactful and very much part of our plan. I like the fact that we can play her to can force an early sweeper before we really "go off", and still have gotten value because she helped us advance and ramp our lands. She's a great example of a card that is great when you're behind and still good when you're ahead.
+Tireless Tracker - I like that this leaves behind draw you can access later as tempo allows, you can also leave mana up for interaction and then crack these if you don't end up needing it. You'll likely always get some value out of it since we're great at playing lands.

2 of the above also synergize really well with Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines which is my other "flex" slot.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
All of that is why Life from the Loam is the best thing and we should play Entomb btw
I'll admit Entomb into Loam as an early play is very enticing. I just don't love playing another tutor we just already have so many. If I find an entomb i'll probably inevitably end up trying it though.
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
My general philosophy is to do a bunch of testing before making major changes - it's easy to be an armchair philosopher and make recommendations, but tuning for your meta and personal preferences is much more difficult. If the deck is running well, then you probably don't need to make major changes.
Agreed, I'm certainly guilty of this. I find myself in iteration loops and never let the deck list settle for real robust testing. I love brewing and I love the discourse around deckbuilding and philosophy almost as much as i love playing. At a certain point we're splitting hairs, but I always appreciate the conversations!

image.png
image.png

Gorillajay

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Well, it's official. I've got the proxies of the decklist in the OP printing right now and will be sleeving them up later for a couple of games tomorrow. The Tuesday group I sometimes play with can vary wildly in power level so I'm not too sure how useful the results will be, but I'll see how it goes.
@TheGildedGoose Now that you've had the deck sleeved up for a couple of weeks how has your testing been going? What was the list you were piloting, any changes or deviations from the OP?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
@TheGildedGoose Now that you've had the deck sleeved up for a couple of weeks how has your testing been going? What was the list you were piloting, any changes or deviations from the OP?
I only got two games in, RIP. They weren't even great games because I won them pretty handily. Things at work have been completely nuts so my Magic time has mostly been spent brewing and theorycrafting other stuff than playing and tweaking this deck.

I have the exact list in the OP proxied, except I think I switched out Kamahl, Heart of Krosa for Titania, Protector of Argoth since she's more self-contained.

As for changes, I don't think I have enough reps in yet to say anything for certain. I did have an awkward experience with Deathrite Shaman where I was forced to choose between ramping into TATGM and eating the sole fetchland from my graveyard or casting TATGM on curve and keeping my Crucible of Worlds option open. Not fun. I would likely cut DRS for Ilysian Caryatid.

However, I was looking at and thinking about this list while in my Liminal Space Time today and my head has been in "lines of play" mode lately because of a Sidisi, Brood Tyrant list I've been tinkering around with. As you spoke of earlier in the thread, having a defined early, middle, and late game plan is essential, and this is what I'm working towards with my testing/thinking. Here are my specific concerns:

1) Natural Order might make dorks eke out an advantage over the weaker land ramp spells (Into the North and Rampant Growth), but the dork quality is pretty low at this point, too. Llanowar Elves et al. are great cards in a vacuum but not fixing our mana and not giving us much to do with them on turn 2 makes them on par with or worse than, say, Sanctum Weaver or Armored Scrapgorger. While we have a fetch and dual heavy manabase, the extra redundancy by having our ramp fix our colors as well makes a turn 3 TATGM even more likely.

2) Card draw is still probably a problem. I think you're right; we could go down to 44 lands to squeeze in a little more value. 7-8 is likely where we want to be, and I think you're right about Tireless Tracker. Being a GSZ/FoD tutorable card draw engine that lets us sink our prodigious mana production into something and doubles as a NO dork seems like a slam dunk.

I think I want my draw package to look like this:
3) I want to fit another win condition in there. Kamahl, Heart of Krosa or Kamahl, Fist of Krosa are both appropriate in different ways for different reasons, but having another GSZ/FoD/NO target that wins us the game with a board presence seems useful.

Gorillajay

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I only got two games in, RIP. They weren't even great games because I won them pretty handily. Things at work have been completely nuts so my Magic time has mostly been spent brewing and theorycrafting other stuff than playing and tweaking this deck.
I've had fair amount of time and opportunity to to test, with the changes i outlined in my post just above. Currently have 11 games recorded with 66% win rate, majority of those games feel like they are up against some equal power decks more or less. Definitely want to keep jamming, but REALLY happy with results so far.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
As for changes, I don't think I have enough reps in yet to say anything for certain. I did have an awkward experience with Deathrite Shaman where I was forced to choose between ramping into TATGM and eating the sole fetchland from my graveyard or casting TATGM on curve and keeping my Crucible of Worlds option open. Not fun. I would likely cut DRS for Ilysian Caryatid.
I don't think Deathrite is in your OP, I know in my list I had it instead of Elves of Deep Shadow. My meta needs some graveyard hate so the awkwardness is something I was willing to deal with from time to time in order to be able to interact with that.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

1) Natural Order might make dorks eke out an advantage over the weaker land ramp spells (Into the North and Rampant Growth), but the dork quality is pretty low at this point, too. Llanowar Elves et al. are great cards in a vacuum but not fixing our mana and not giving us much to do with them on turn 2 makes them on par with or worse than, say, Sanctum Weaver or Armored Scrapgorger. While we have a fetch and dual heavy manabase, the extra redundancy by having our ramp fix our colors as well makes a turn 3 TATGM even more likely.
I don't think I would overkill it here and add dorks instead of all the spells, there is value in getting a landfall trigger off of a spell like Into the north and Rampant growth as well. It's a good way to juice your effects with cards that would otherwise be dead. Also if you need to sweep it sucks to lose dorks instead of having more lands.

If we're planning to natural order we may have 1000 scutes or Plants out (Avenger), which are green. Also our commander is green so we can always sac them in a pinch in case we have cats or zombies instead of scutes.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
2) Card draw is still probably a problem. I think you're right; we could go down to 44 lands to squeeze in a little more value. 7-8 is likely where we want to be, and I think you're right about Tireless Tracker. Being a GSZ/FoD tutorable card draw engine that lets us sink our prodigious mana production into something and doubles as a NO dork seems like a slam dunk.

I think I want my draw package to look like this:
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Sylvan Library
1 Necropotence
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Ad Nauseam
1 Stinging Study
1 Bolas's Citadel
My list actually has 1 less then then this. I'm playing Hostile Negotiations currently and not playing Skeletal Scrying (I don't like needing to exile my yard for this) or Stinging study. Tireless Tracker has been an all star though, definitely deserves a spot. I'm also playing ewit for recursion. I wouldn't say we cracked the case on card draw just yet, but i haven't had any games where i really feel like I'm lacking. Definitely something to continue to keep an eye on though.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
3) I want to fit another win condition in there. Kamahl, Heart of Krosa or Kamahl, Fist of Krosa are both appropriate in different ways for different reasons, but having another GSZ/FoD/NO target that wins us the game with a board presence seems useful.
I haven't felt the need for another win con just yet. Titania, Protector of Argoth Can really put on the pressure so adding that helped. I havent gotten to play Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines much as i haven't drawn her, but the doubling affect from Ancient greenwarding is good at making my threats sufficient so i expect it to be good. Had a game where FOTD and Avenger both got dealt with and exiled so still having scute swarm, felidar retreat, and Titania as potential wins felt okay.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
I've had fair amount of time and opportunity to to test, with the changes i outlined in my post just above. Currently have 11 games recorded with 66% win rate, majority of those games feel like they are up against some equal power decks more or less. Definitely want to keep jamming, but REALLY happy with results so far.
What has been the general response to the deck? I had someone groan about the Thalia stax part of TATGM but they seemed like a whiner in general.
I don't think I would overkill it here and add dorks instead of all the spells, there is value in getting a landfall trigger off of a spell like Into the north and Rampant growth as well. It's a good way to juice your effects with cards that would otherwise be dead. Also if you need to sweep it sucks to lose dorks instead of having more lands.

If we're planning to natural order we may have 1000 scutes or Plants out (Avenger), which are green. Also our commander is green so we can always sac them in a pinch in case we have cats or zombies instead of scutes.
Good points.
My list actually has 1 less then then this. I'm playing Hostile Negotiations currently and not playing Skeletal Scrying (I don't like needing to exile my yard for this) or Stinging study. Tireless Tracker has been an all star though, definitely deserves a spot. I'm also playing ewit for recursion. I wouldn't say we cracked the case on card draw just yet, but i haven't had any games where i really feel like I'm lacking. Definitely something to continue to keep an eye on though.
Well, when you factor in OG Gitrog, the Canopy lands/Crucible effects, and of course, our commander, I think we're pretty close.

I think I'm cutting Ad Nauseam. Necropotence is basically a half-cost, sorcery speed version, but at least the "fair" use of Necro to just refill your hand is at least a theoretical possibility. It's kind of a groaner card like Hoof, but at least Hoof ends the game then and there.
I haven't felt the need for another win con just yet. Titania, Protector of Argoth Can really put on the pressure so adding that helped. I havent gotten to play Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines much as i haven't drawn her, but the doubling affect from Ancient greenwarding is good at making my threats sufficient so i expect it to be good. Had a game where FOTD and Avenger both got dealt with and exiled so still having scute swarm, felidar retreat, and Titania as potential wins felt okay.
I'll defer here.

Gorillajay

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
What has been the general response to the deck? I had someone groan about the Thalia stax part of TATGM but they seemed like a whiner in general.
Reactions to TATGM as a commander:

It seems like when playing with random people online, or just generally anyone who hasn't seen the card before everyone experiences a slow burn on it. When they first read it they're ok that seems pretty good. Then you play it on turn 3, they realize they're entire curve is now off because they can't play their lands tapped, and they're like oh man that REALLY sucks. Meanwhile you're playing 2 lands which they may have kind of missed or overlooked even because they're so disappointed in how they're own hand is now going to perform. Then a little later, when they've established a board and want to start swinging at you for slowing them down or playing extra lands and realize there is actually just a brick wall stopping them from doing so and there is no way they're going to even be able to get any chip damage on you so there's a second effect like "OMG that card is REALLY REALLY good."

That being said, my regular playgroup doesn't groan much about it. They acknowledge it's power and treat it as such when they can deal with it. But as we've discussed before dealing with her is kind of a lose lose situation for the player that chooses to do so, since she can so easily come back. She actually sticks around more then I thought she would now that several players in my play group have seen her multiple times.

Reactions to the deck as a whole:

With random people online once most people realize it's a land deck they treat it much like any other land decks. People are rightfully concerned when you start tutoring a lot. Between the fetch lands + regular tutors you basically have your deck in your hand half the game so people don't love that. Besides the staxy-effect from TATGM this is probably the most overtly "offensive" thing you're doing. Naus/Necro are of course concerning too, but those are played so situationally and usually in an effort to rebuild instead of when I'm already ahead so I think that takes the edge off a little, but I could be wrong about that. The rest of our game however, is just interacting with the board as needed and engaging your value engine(s) to set up the win down the line. It's not super obvious how you're going to win to your opponents until you start pumping out tokens. At that point they realize it's go wide strat and it may be hard to deal with, Additionally, your value engines have equipped you with a easy way to rebuild if it is dealt with. By then it's a bit too late.

With my regular pod of ~8 or so people they realize it's power and potential inevitability. They understand there are no combos so while the tutors and engines are powerful if the engines are dealt with and I can't assemble my tokens, I just won't win. It's still relatively new to the group so they may eventually start to experience fatigue, but I try to balance that out by playing other decks of other power/archetypes so they aren't seeing it all the time. Overall it doesn't seem like they really mind but they do acknowledge it as one of my 2 most powerful decks. It also probably helps that there are others in the pod with "Bad CEDH" decks (basically not your usual CEDH commanders but with fast mana and other powerful cards) as well as actual CEDH decks so mine looks a bit more innocent then those comparatively.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Well, when you factor in OG Gitrog, the Canopy lands/Crucible effects, and of course, our commander, I think we're pretty close.
Agreed. My current draw slots (and the list as a whole) is pretty stable at the moment, I wanted to do some thorough testing before I continue fussing with it. Like @Mookie suggested. But keeping a close eye on draw if I feel I need more or need to change the cards I'll note that.

Current draw slots are:
  • Ad Nauseam
  • Bolas's Citadel
  • Hostile Negotiations
  • Necropotence
  • Sensei's Divining Top
  • Sylvan Library
  • Tireless Tracker
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I think I'm cutting Ad Nauseam. Necropotence is basically a half-cost, sorcery speed version, but at least the "fair" use of Necro to just refill your hand is at least a theoretical possibility. It's kind of a groaner card like Hoof, but at least Hoof ends the game then and there.
I understand wanting to do it to avoid groans, totally a reasonable choice (also required if you want to play on PlayEDH lol). I love the card in the deck though. The CMC of the deck is so low, that it just makes sense. I love having both as these all in draw engines to just reload after you dump lands. Even if you just rip a bunch of lands off of it it feels great. Also it kind of functions as a tutor almost sometimes. I used it in a pinch to dig and find a removal spell before we lost the game to a combo the spot and it was great.

IMO cards like Necro, Naus and demonic tutor get a bad rap because they enable a combo but using them just for pure value or an answer just seems so damn powerful and I love

Overall, this has quickly become my favorite deck that I own. I was long searching for a deck that could win with combat damage, have an insane amount of resiliency, and powerful enough to keep up with some of the best non-cedh decks around. At the same time I also really wanted a deck that didn't make me feel like I was "Cheating". Tutoring for a non telegraphed combo, taking extra turns, fast mana into lockouts or insane value are all things I'm often up against and I wanted something that could compete. At the same time I didn't want to play that way myself, at least with this deck. I wanted to play the colors with the best removal and value engines and use them to get the game to a state where I can push for a win with old fashioned combat damage since that sometimes appears to be more and more rare at higher levels these days. Because of that, I don't feel the need to pull any punches it. Winning with Hoof isn't anything new but hey a critical mass of value needs to result in some way to win, I think a reasonable opponent can appreciate a swift death, Additionally it's telegraphed, and doesn't happen till turn 8+ so plenty of time to interact with me before then.

I enjoy the deck so much I've even considered writing my first primer about it. The commander isn't even officially out yet, but I can see myself playing it for a long time. I'll end with this quote from a friend which I believe perfectly captures how I view this deck:
It's very rewarding when you find a commander or deck you end up "marrying" and you spend time and get enough reps in to the point where you have enough sample size to start noticing the little nuances of the deck and get to the fine-tuning phase instead of soul searching phase. You can pilot the deck with your eyes closed. You know the deck like the back of your hand and know its strengths and weaknesses and all the lines. It's your comfort food. It's Anton's mom's ratatouille. You always come home to it. It sometimes may let you down but you know it'll always be there for you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”