Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me previously when I was looking for counter spells that aren't useless on a cascade, but Temur Charm is another option that is probably pretty decent. Sometimes removal, sometimes evasion for the team for a combat, and from my hand it can be a useful Mana Leak, which is basically the same as a hard counter a surprising amount of the time. I might try to find a slot to try it out.

Speaking of trying something out, I'm pretty sure I want a Terror of the Peaks in here. I've always kind of wanted Warstorm Surge, but never wanted the 6 mana do-nothing enchantment. Having that effect on a solid flying body, for a mana cheaper, makes it way more appealing. Better to cascade into AND better to just cast. Plus it's another super awesome creature for putting a Shadowspear on, since it's the Terror that does all the actual damage.

I think I'm going to try out Terror of the Peaks in place of Xenagos, God of Revels for the time being. Xenagod is undeniably a sweet card, and sometimes his pumps let me surprise kill people with Wanderer, but he doesn't give any sort of evasion and his haste is most often superfluous.

Lastly, as with several of my other decks over the last while, I'm feeling like I want a Field of the Dead here. It's probably just going to go in over some other land (not sure which one), but it's entirely possible I'll decide to go back up to 37 lands and cut something else for it.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Tags:

Jibsea
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Jibsea » 3 years ago

Have you ever tried Seedguide Ash? I'm testing it in my Wanderer deck, but without ways to sac it, it might get the axe...still, 3 forest into play is nice ramp.

ZenN

Jibsea wrote:
3 years ago
Have you ever tried Seedguide Ash? I'm testing it in my Wanderer deck, but without ways to sac it, it might get the axe...still, 3 forest into play is nice ramp.
I have not. I've considered it for my Korvold, Fae-Cursed King list, but never for this deck. I agree that without sac outlets it's probably kind of meh. That said, a lot of Wanderer decks do like to play a few sac outlets to put Wanderer back in the command zone, so there's some synergy to be had there.
Commander

ZenN

The recently spoiled Ashaya, Soul of the Wild might find a home here. I like that it makes the team immune to nonland removal (most notably Cyclonic Rift). Plus he turns everything into a mana dork, so that's neat.
Commander

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Man that landfall extra combat step guy feels fairly absurd :)

ZenN

Yeah, Moraug, Fury of Akoum. Lot of potential there. Would certainly make cascading into a Skyshroud Claim more fun. :P
Commander

ZenN

I finally got around to putting Genesis Ultimatum (over Agent of Treachery) and Terror of the Peaks (over Xenagos, God of Revels) in here, and both have felt very solid. Agent's card draw rarely went off anyway, and the Ultimatum has a way higher ceiling. I might try to find a spot to put back Xenagod, but for now I haven't missed him too much.

I made a few other changes I'd been meaning to make, and things feel good.

I am also currently testing Sweet-Gum Recluse (temporarily in over Garruk Wildspeaker). I haven't actually cast it yet, so don't know how it'll perform, but it SEEMS sweet.

Commander

ZenN

So many potential new goodies in Kaldheim.

Cards I'm considering include: Actually, I'm going to go ahead and slot in Goldspan Dragon over Sweet-Gum Recluse recluse to try out right now. The couple of times I've cast the Recluse it has been fine but not amazing, and the dragon seems solid. I've got high hopes for it.

Commander

ZenN

Got to play Goldspan Dragon once so far and it was sweet.

Turn 1: Land, Joraga Treespeaker
Turn 2: Land, level up Treespeaker
Turn 3: Land, Goldspan Dragon, swing and kill an Ashiok, Dream Render
Turn 4: Land, Maelstrom Wanderer, cascade into Temur Sabertooth and Consecrated Sphinx, with a new treasure on attack to hold up a Sabertooth activation to put Wanderer back in my hand

Also, I like the extra synergy with Dockside Extortionist. Potential for a huge turn there. Definitely going to keep trying out Goldspan.
Commander

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”