Savra, Queen of Multiple Personalities

Zahrim
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Zahrim » 4 years ago

I'm coming full circle here... after brief dalliances with new Golgari legends as they've been released, this general group of cards spent some time with both Meren of Clan Nel Toth and The Gitrog Monster at the helm.

Why didn't the new commanders stick around? That's a bit complicated...

Meren of Clan Nel Toth: Seemed like a natural fit. Profit from creatures dying, free recursion in theory a real Win/Win situation. In practice, I couldn't shake the habit of holding my commander back until I'd established board control and Meren wants to experience things. So it ended up being (at best) a 4 mana Raise Dead... back to the drawing board.

The Gitrog Monster: It is a fantastic card I loved playing it but after a relocating cross country a more competitive metagame has forced my hand. Focused combo lists put the fear of the frog into people and I've grown tired of playing archenemy despite not playing the combo list myself. A noted side effect, I was also able to cut fetchlands that had come with the frog with 7 fetches Birthing Pod and Survival of the Fittest I felt like I was shuffling the whole game.
Decklist

Commander (1)

Artifacts:2

Approximate Total Cost:

Multiple personalities? What's going on here?

Deck has several let's call them modes of operation.

Toolbox of Answers:
Golgari has a Diverse array of removal and can handle any permanent type. The creatures in this deck were chosen to have natural Birthing Pod chains where possible.
Example: Bone Shredder> Ravenous Chupacabra > Shriekmaw

I'm still waiting for a 4 mana Naturalize creature to chain Reclamation Sage into Acidic Slime.
Key Cards: Recursion:
The most common way this deck functions is out of its graveyard facilitated through dredge and similar effects. Two mass reanimation spells function as game enders, for the most part, but Living Death for Value can also be something worth doing.

Key Cards: Sacrifice Matters:
Having Grave Pact in the command zone telegraphs this as a primary strategy. Although there is a lack of traditional sacrifice outlets. Gravepact effects aren't something that I rush out early.

Key cards: Lands Matter:
This section is why I was pulled into the direction of The Gitrog Monster. A ready built on-color commander for one of the themes to the deck but it wasn't meant to be. Being a two-color deck there is plenty of room available for utility lands and dredging fills the graveyard with lands as much as creatures. I spent some time with 7 cycling lands rather than 5 and found it was too many. I strongly prefer World Shaper to Splendid Reclamation due to the ease of recurring creatures vs spells.

Key cards:

Tags:

Zahrim

Changelog
Out: In:
Implementing a change log going forward to sort out historical changes mostly for my own benefit.

I found both Apprentice Necromancer & Priest of Forgotten Gods too slow for the amount of impact they had.

Mindslicer is a card I've continued to keep in the deck despite rarely tutoring for or casting when drawn it was mostly the final nail in the coffin when resolving Living Death triggers.

Elvish Reclaimer may have the same issues as two of the cuts but fits the reusable tutoring and lands matter packages nicely so I'll give it a try.

Blightbeetle & Collector Ouphe trying out some hatebear options. Beetle is a unique effect. Since I cut Oblivion Stone & Nevinyrral's Disk there is minimal impact to my gameplan from Collector Ouphe

And the associated mana rebalancing.

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

Seems an interesting toolbox-y type deck. I also have a Savra but it's all tokens, all the time.

I see you've got some grave pact effects, but no Butcher of Malakir?

And speaking of grave pact, do you ever have an issue with Attrition and grave pact type effects? I never run them in the same deck because of the bad interaction.
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Zahrim

DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
Seems an interesting toolbox-y type deck. I also have a Savra but it's all tokens, all the time.

I see you've got some grave pact effects, but no Butcher of Malakir?

And speaking of grave pact, do you ever have an issue with Attrition and grave pact type effects? I never run them in the same deck because of the bad interaction.
Butcher of Malakir was cut a very long time ago, I found I was rarely casting and it was win-more after Living Death.

Attrition has been on the chopping block for quite a while. Being a sacrifice centered deck I havent been able to talk myself into making the cut.

DrSeaMonster

I'm gonna say cut Attrition for Butcher. The more grave pact effects the better.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Zahrim

DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
I'm gonna say cut Attrition for Butcher. The more grave pact effects the better.
I think I'm more likely to cut Attrition for a different sacrifice outlet as I am somewhat lacking in them otherwise.

DrSeaMonster

Fair enough.

Here's a few options from my own sac-based decks, depending on what you want to add.

Ashnod's Altar
Phyrexian Altar
Vampiric Rites
Carnage Altar
Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
Quagmire Druid
Whisper, Blood Liturgist

I also like Perilous Forays, but you're low on basics, so I don't think it's a good fit.
And Razaketh is great, but might be a bit high for your curve.

Zahrim

DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
Fair enough.

Here's a few options from my own sac-based decks, depending on what you want to add.
I've tested most of these.
These are probably the Correct answer but i have them earmarked for another deck I have in developement
I played both Vampiric rites and Izoni at different points and they both underperformed. Carnage Altar seems like a worse version of the effect.
DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
Quagmire Druid
I should try this here, thank you for the suggestion.
Hell's Caretaker is a better version of this effect and wasnt good enough to make the cut.
Correct for the reasons you noted.

DrSeaMonster

Cool, looks like Quagmire Druid is the right card. Glad I could help.

DrSeaMonster

I think I should post my Savra.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”