[Retired] Rosnakht Enchantress: Death by a Thousand Cuts

Gamazson
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gamazson » 1 year ago

Enchantress

Full disclosure, this deck concept is heavily flawed. That is part of my goal. I want a handicap. I am prone to optimizing my decks as far as my budget will allow, which puts me in the upper tier of my local LGS. This can be problematic when I end up at a table with newer players. I want something that can impact the board when up against someone experienced but does not roflstomp newbies.

I have also been pursuing an aura based enchantress deck for a while. Previously I have posted concepts for and based builds linked below. I have also messed around with a Sythis, Harvest's Hand build based on a list made by @TheAmericanSpirit.

list with Wyleth, Soul of Steel: www.mtgnexus.com/viewtopic.php?p=141979
list with Mazzy, Truesword Paladin: www.mtgnexus.com/viewtopic.php?p=141979
list with Sythis, Harvest's Hand: www.mtgnexus.com/viewtopic.php?p=212431

In all of these cases, the decks have left me uninspired. They have been fun one or two games, then I lose interest. I think white is to blame. This is a major strategy the colour is known for, and is very good at it; that may be the problem. There isn't much space for original problem solving.

The challenge to making a deck around Rosnakht, Heir of Rohgahh is that can expect to run out of cards in hand quickly. If you want to build a sizable army using his heroic ability, you need to cast many cheap spells that target him. Most online lists solve the problem by using cantrips like Expedite and Crimson Wisps . That plan is efficient, but I don't want a spellslinger deck. I want an enchantress deck. Thankfully red offers several enchantments that are naturally reusable, Crown of Flames, Ghitu Firebreathing & Mark of Fury.

I also think I have found some other interesting work arounds to the card advantage problem:
  • Scarab of the Unseen This is an old card. I don't even know how I found it. Once upon a time I think this was meant to save aura's when a creature was hit with removal. Here I can use it to recast auras for more tokens.
  • Enchanter's Bane is a roundabout choice. In theory I can use this to target my own enchantments to gain some card advantage. Specifically cards like Fiery Mantle and Unquenchable Fury which return to hand when they hit the graveyard. Or I can just use it to punish folks with Smothering Tithe.
  • Cloudstone Curio is an expensive classic that desperately needs a reprint. Although it is traditionally used in decks heavy on creature etb effects, such as Animar, Soul of Elements, but there is no reason I can't use it to return a few aura's to hand. If I can't draw new cards, I'll recycle what I got already.
A Thousand Cuts

Red does not offer any enchantment cast triggers. In fact it only offers 1 card with a constellation trigger, Forgeborn Oreads. It does however offer plenty of cast triggers from "noncreature spells" which is sort of the same thing. Nothing that will draw cards, but we can ping our opponents like crazy with Firebrand Archer and Kessig Flamebreather.

While I'm at it, this deck is making tokens from casting those enchantments. No reason not to include Impact Tremors and Purphoros, God of the Forge. Since Kobolds are so small, I can also make use of Cavalcade of Calamity and Raid Bombardment. Throw in some damage buffs like Mechanized Warfare and Torbran, Thane of Red Fell and I think I may have a strategy.

To round things out a bit more I have Shared Animosity to buff the team; this cards triggered ability can be stacked to resolve after an effect like Cavalcade of Calamity. I can also leverage Ensnaring Bridge. It isn't a very friendly card, but my creatures are puny and my hand size is small, making it very one sided.

A final note about Forgeborn Oreads. As the only red enchantress card, and the fact it is doing exactly what the deck wants to do, you would think that it would make the cut. Unfortunately Defiler of Instinct is a thing that exists. It triggers from all red permanents and in a deck filled with 1 cmc auras, the cost reduction is nothing to sneeze at either.

I have also omitted the 0 cmc kobolds the tribe is famous for such as Kobolds of Kher Keep, Crimson Kobolds, Crookshank Kobolds and Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh. The only reason for this is the presence of Cloudstone Curio in the deck. With Impact Tremors or Purphoros, God of the Forge on the board you have an infinite combo. This is not taboo at my LGS, but if it happens once, every game there after Cloudstone Curio will be treated as my primary win con. I see it as more of a tool to make up for a lack of card advantage and don't want to up it's threat factor.  

The Deck

Last edited by Gamazson 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Madcap Skills is a surprisingly aggressive little aura and I recommend it highly, alongside Claws of Valakut for some raw power and first strike.

I also recommend Rush of Blood and Fatal Frenzy to knock your opponents into deep left field like Nick Castellanos. No one ever sees them coming ime.

Oh! You know what else is cool? That new Draconic Destiny! Seems like a slam dunk.

Also, you may want a bit more draw. Without the enchantress effects to prop up your cardflow, you may end up hellbent faster than is pleasant. I recommend shaving some of the generic red goodstuff (cool as it may be) and go all in on the voltron plan with a bunch of wheels to reload.

Edit: Tears of Rage is my favorite kamikaze move if you find yourself regularly getting to 5+ tokens. An additional 30 power outta the blue is nothing to scoff at, even if the price is steep.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

I think your biggest weakness is draw. It feels like you're going to cast your hand pretty quickly and then be top decking most games. Skullclamp, Idol of Oblivion, Tome of Legends being your main saviors.

You could take a page out of Zada, Hedron Grinder or Mirrorwing Dragon and you could easily replace some of your Auras for some instant/sorcery that draw like Crimson Wisps, Expedite, Ancestral Anger, Renegade Tactics, Accelerate, Stun, Fists of Flame.

Grenzo, Havoc Raiser is a pseudo card draw and more often than not I'll use the Goad as a way to .. well raise havoc.

Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner is a great way to get attackers through and also has a very relevant card draw mechanic.
On that note I do think the hardest thing to do with this deck is actually get good attacks going, so I'd consider Break Through the Line, Bedlam, Legion Loyalist.

Gamazson

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Oh! You know what else is cool? That new Draconic Destiny! Seems like a slam dunk.
Oh yeah for sure! It was already in the first draft! Kinda wish I had more colourless mana sinks because I wouldn't mind using it with Mana Echoes.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Also, you may want a bit more draw. Without the enchantress effects to prop up your cardflow, you may end up hellbent faster than is pleasant. I recommend shaving some of the generic red goodstuff (cool as it may be) and go all in on the voltron plan with a bunch of wheels to reload.
Which cards are you defining a good stuff to cut? I was able to guess Fiery Emancipation and I have replaced it with Reforge the Soul.
darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
You could take a page out of Zada, Hedron Grinder or Mirrorwing Dragon and you could easily replace some of your Auras for some instant/sorcery that draw like Crimson Wisps, Expedite, Ancestral Anger, Renegade Tactics, Accelerate, Stun, Fists of Flame.
That is what I noticed while studying the deck on EDHREC. For sake of thoroughness, I did explore that direction, but it led me off on a deck building tangent where the commander changed to Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph. I dropped it because I already had a spell slinger deck I was proud of, and I don't own much in the way of an Izzet mana base which will explode the cost for me.
darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner is a great way to get attackers through and also has a very relevant card draw mechanic.
On that note I do think the hardest thing to do with this deck is actually get good attacks going, so I'd consider Break Through the Line, Bedlam, Legion Loyalist.
I have been on the fence on whether to use Bothersome Quasit or Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner in that evasion slot. With my card draw weakness I'll shift back towards Tulzidi. I do not know where I would slot in Grenzo, Havoc Raiser at this time, but Legion Loyalist was great suggestion!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

@Gamazson I think I would cut Curse of opulence, seething song, disrupt decorum, vandalblast, and maybe underworld breach. They're all great cards, but I think turning them all into either card advatange or more raw power would yield better overall consistency.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Not running Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx in a deck with like 40 enchantments feels like a missed opportunity to me.

Gamazson

Thank you all for the suggestions, but this deck is done. I had a few games vs. my buddy and his Anowon, the Ruin Thief pre-con. It did not fare well at all. I won one game, thanks to Tears of Rage. I'll be keeping an eye on that card if I do anymore red token decks. For now I am just going to let the non-white aura enchantress concept rest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”