Making Enrage viable: a Jeska/Thrasios burn list

Elincia
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Elincia » 2 years ago

Hi guys! I don't post that often but today I wanted to show you my last creation. For a long time I wanted to try and make an Enrage deck that could hold its own against stronger archetypes. But I never found that the "all Dinos" type of decks functioned very well. Too creature dependent and not many ways to win with Enrage triggers. I tried different approches and color combinations, spent a lot of time theory crafting, and finally settled on the Thrasios, Triton Hero / Jeska, Thrice Reborn combo. It's a very midrange pile with lots of burn spells that can win in very different ways. It's extremely refreshing to play since you can adapt very easily to the board state and build towards very different wincons while controlling your opponents' boards. But let's get into it.

Jeska-Thrasios Enrage Burn

Finishers (2)

Recursion (2)

Token Generation (4)

Approximate Total Cost:

Colors

SPOILER
Show
Hide
First off let's talk about the colors I chose for this deck. Red is obviously the best color at dealing damage and thus at activating Enrage triggers, so it was a no brainer. Red is the soul of the deck, the two other colors only compliment it. After a great deal of consideration and trying different color combos, I chose Green and Blue for one simple reason: they have the best and most abusable Enrage creatures.

A fundemental thing to understand about Enrage is that there are two types of Enrage abilities. There are the official ones that stipulate that when the creature is pinged, no matter the amount of damage, it will do its thing, once per trigger. Like Ripjaw Raptor or Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients And then there are the "unofficial" ones that scale with the damage inflicted to the creature, such as Broodhatch Nantuko or Saber Ants. These are usually the most powerful effects because as it happens, Red is good at dealing a reasonable amount of damage. As for Green and Blue they are the two strongest colors in the format. We need them to make an Enrage deck really work.

Commanders

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Jeska, Thrice Reborn is one of the best pingers in the game and because it sits in the command zone, it's repeatable and only grows more powerful as the game prolongs. We are a midrange deck with a decent number of cards that allow us to control the board, so we can stall a bit if we ever need to recast that Jeska three or four times. Not to mention that casting its partner, the cheap, cheap Thrasios, will net us one damage per cast with Jeska.

More occasionaly, she can help us close the game with its 0 ability if we target a beefed up creature of our own or even those of our opponents. The triple damage ability can also be a powerful political tool if you ever want to team up with someone to gun down a third player.

As for Thrasios, Triton Hero, it's here because of all the reasons it's a commander staple: its cheap, very good value, can hold a Mask of Memory really well early game if we need to find our land drops, and can be recasted easily. It provides stability to the gameplan and help us smooth our draws. The 3 toughness is also really good to dodge our damage-based wraths.

Philosophy

SPOILER
Show
Hide
We don't play nonland tutors or fast mana (except Sol Ring) in our playgroup so that's one thing. It encourages us to build strong synergies into our decks instead of relying too much on tutors to save the day. That deck was built with this idea in mind, so it's very flexible to play and nearly all the cards respond to each other in some manner. The primary goal of the deck is based around activating the Enrage creatures, the official and non official ones, to bury our opponents with either value, direct damage to the face or a %$#% ton of tokens. Most of the time, the deck does a little bit of each and manages to win out of nowhere purely because of how synergistic the pieces are.

Want to Crackle with Power your opponents but you don't have enough mana for the kill ? Try targeting your Hornet Nest instead and casting Triumph of the Hordes next turn. Drew a lot of cards with Illusory Ambusher and don't have enough mana to cast all that gas? Try pitching those dirty cards that filth your hands to the very cheap Nahiri's Wrath and ping your Stuffy Doll for 15-30 damage to the face. Quadruple that if you have a damage doubler.

Of course Jeska is there to serve as a sure way to activate our Enrage creatures when they hit the battlefield. But the truth is that a very large chunk of the spells can also do that. The strenght of this deck is that it's very modal: a lot of the cards can either give you ressources (cards or ramp) and/or damage. This means that, thanks in large part to the awesome Izzet cardpool, we are almost always able to both answer threats on the board and progress our gameplan by activating our creatures.

Pings

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Now let's talk about pings, the heart of the deck, and why I chose to go mostly with instants and sorceries to deal damage to my creatures instead of the more "traditional" options. Usually people tend to go with two different strategies when it comes to pinging their Enrage creatures. The first revolves around pinger creatures that tap to deal damage such as Prodigal Sorcerer and the million others that do a similar effect. The other is to abuse static or repeatable effects on creatures and/or enchantments. I'm talking about Marauding Raptor, Pyrohemia, Aether Flash, these types of cards. I'll first adress the pingers.

When you look at them, they are fantastic. You can set them up early, their effect is repeatable, some of them have haste and your opponents wont waste removal on them. You can amass a lot of value by repeatidly pinging your creatures over the course of a game. However the fact that they are creatures are a huge drawback because this deck wants to wrath often. This simple fact makes them a bit clunky. Pingers are at their best when there are 2 or 3 of them at once, but in this deck you don't want to commit too much to the board because of how often you reset it.

Now the Pyrohemia and co problem. These enchantments paint a clear target on your back and the first removal will be dedicated to blowing up your 4 mana set up piece that you absolutely needed to make your deck work. That's not a situation we want to be in. People don't like seeing direct threats to their creatures before they even played them. They will team up to destroy your piece or kill you so that they can play their game and drop their creatures. As for Marauding Raptor and Aether Flash, they are absolute feel bad when they prevent you from making more than 2 tokens or drawing 2 cards from your scaling Enrage creatures. That's the definitive reason why these cards are not the best way to trigger Enrage creatures, and this also applies to pingers: they don't do enough damage. Not nearly enough.

The only and most sure way to win with Enrage is to abuse effects that scale with the damage. There are some interesting and game winning effects on "official" Enrage creatures such as Silverclad Ferocidons or Polyraptor. But their mana value is too damn high and these days, in commander, your opponents won't wait until you can play your 7 or 8 drop, and then let you ping it 4 or 5 times to close the game. They're gonna Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist + Colossus Hammer you in the face twice and you'll be dead by turn 5 or 6. You need to be able to keep up.

That's why big damage instant and sorceries are the most sensible choice for that kind of deck. They are hard to interact with, you don't have to dedicate ressources to protect a permanent everyone wants destroyed. Played well, targeting the right creature, they can win you the game on the spot. I did include some ways to make "little pings" as I call them, but they are the best of the best in their categories.
Pyrokinesis and Fury are free, allowing you to maximize payoff the turn you play an Enrage creature, so that's a no brainer. Nin, the Pain Artist can draw a lot of cards. Fiery Confluence doubles up as artifact removal and wins the game pretty easily with Fiery Emancipation. You can even copy it for a whooping 30 damage to each opponent. And Fire Prophecy is good value and damage for 2 mana at instant speed.

Now the most important spells are in the "big pings" category. They're the spells that win you the game. Crackle with Power is of course an all-star, we all know it by now. Add in a damage doubler such as Dictate of the Twin Gods and you are cooking some serious brew. Use it on your creatures or target your opponent's face directly, it will do the job. Volcano Hellion is stupidly good, allowing you to trade as much life as you want for cards, tokens or damage to the face of your opponents, depending on the creature you control. It's also very efficient removal. It's basically a Ravenous Chupacabra that can also win you the game.

Shivan Meteor is dumb, but the good kind of dumb, and you can set it up early. As for Nahiri's Wrath, it's probably the most insane finisher for only three mana, but it requires to have a full grip, as is often the case in that deck. In a pinch, it can act as a removal spell, but you usually want to keep it for the endgame, where it shines the most. And of course let's not forget the sweepers, all damage based. I'm particularly fond of Jiwari, the Earth Aflame and its instant speed channel ability, allowing you to wrath and trigger your creatures right before your upkeep, without the fear of being counterspelled.

Enrage creatures

SPOILER
Show
Hide
As I said before, not all Enrage creatures are created equal and I had to renounce to a lot of "official" Enrage creatures because they were too underwhelming or too high cmc, such as the previously mentioned Silverclad Ferocidons and Polyraptor. Only Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients, Ripjaw Raptor and Ranging Raptors made the cut. I hope WOTC can give us stronger Enrage creatures in the near future to make the archetype more viable without relying on other creatures for payoffs.

That said, let me introduce you to Illusory Ambusher and Body of Knowledge, the all-stars of the unofficial Enrage creatures. These cards won me many, many games. People don't pay attention to them and usually don't see the threat until you fire off a Blasphemous Act for one red, draw 13 cards and procede to win the game on the spot with your open mana. Body of Knowledge is especially absurd, since its power and toughness scale with its draw effect. And it gives you no maximum hand size. Pure insanity. Now with those 20 cards in hand, you can cast that Fateful Showdown and deal massive amounts of damage while drawing 20 fresh news cards. Neat. And don't forget the mighty Firestorm. Combined with Fury Storm it can melt your opponents life in an instant.

The other payoffs are pretty straightforward. Broodhatch Nantuko, Saber Ants, Druid's Call and Hornet Nest all give you sweet tokens that you can pump with Overwhelming Stampede and Triumph of the Hordes. Brash Taunter, Stuffy Doll and Ill-Tempered Loner // Howlpack Avenger allow you to convert your creature damage to face damage. You can even quadruple that amount with Dictate of the Twin Gods and Insult // Injury, or, why not, inflict 9 times the damage with Fiery Emancipation on the board. Inga Rune-Eyes ltb effect is pretty easy to trigger, so most of the times its textbox reads "3U: scry 3, draw 3".

But the most important thing about these creatures, and that's even more true of the Enrage creatures that scale with the damage, is that people don't want to attack into it. Never, ever. It's rock solid protection against attacks and they save you a ton of life just by having them on the board. One Ripjaw Raptor or Illusory Ambusher on the board can act as efficiently as a Propaganda effect. You do not want to attack with them, unless you are going for the kill or you're certain there won't be a crackback. Playing them early is advised, if only to deter your opponents from attacking you. You will be grateful for the life you saved that way.

Weaknesses

SPOILER
Show
Hide
There are of course certain weaknesses to rely on casting spells on your creatures to accumulate value. People can two for one you pretty easily if you don't pay attention to timing. You need to be careful when casting your big game ending spell. But these risks are somewhat offset by the very good amount of card draw I put in the deck. Gas is rarely an issue with this deck, but you have to deploy your creatures somewhat carefully and stay on top by managing the pace of the game with wraths and removal. While people rebuild their board and tap out, that's when you can seize your chance to win.

Admittedly, this deck runs very few counterspells, only one in fact, with Fierce Guardianship. Instead of straightup countermagic that could sit in your hand and do nothing for a while, I opted for more versatility with Expansion // Explosion and Fury Storm. Granted they don't do much against Assassin's Trophy, but they can copy counterspells or copy your big spell that's on the stack in response to an opponent trying to blow up your key piece.

Another weakness is the lack of enchantment removal. Currently only Klauth's Will can handle them. I opted against including generic removal like Chaos Warp and Beast Within for two reasons: I'm sick of seeing them everywhere, and they don't do damage. That might change in the future if I constantly get destroyed by enchantment decks. But for now, I feel like the deck can still answer a wide number of situations and is able to pressure players enough that I don't see myself being threatened by a durdly enchantment deck.
And here you go! This is my first decklist posted here, I know it's not the prettiest post but I don't know all the ways you can improve posts. Anyway, please let me know what you think or if you have any idea on how to make it better. Oh and don't hesitate to take the deck for a spin on MTGO and report back here!
Last edited by Elincia 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

This looks like a pretty interesting decklist. Did Torbran, Thane of Red Fell not have enough power to make the cut? Seems quite good with Jeska in the Command Zone.

Elincia

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
This looks like a pretty interesting decklist. Did Torbran, Thane of Red Fell not have enough power to make the cut? Seems quite good with Jeska in the Command Zone.
I considered it, but I find that Torbran suffers from the Pyrohemia stigma. It draws a lot of attention and usually won't stay on the board very long. Plus, the 2 additional damage is not enough to make real use of our scaling Enrage creatures. That's why I opted for damage doublers instead. They are harder to remove or interact with and can provide insane damage when combined with Brash Taunter effects.

I'm considering adding Toralf, God of Fury // Toralf's Hammer as a way to turn my creature damage spells into face damage, but the "opponent's creature" clause is a bit of a feels bad. It's somewhat offset by the utility provided by the backside, but I don't know. I think I'll try it and report back here.

Thanks for showing interest in the decklist!

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 2 years ago

A couple more difficult to spot "enrage" affects that I run in my DirkGently inspired Sorrow's Path deck are Fiendlash and Rite of Passage.

I had not considered Fury or Pyrokinesis for that deck, but am going to slot them in now. Free is good!

It's a shame you can't get white in here - Jeska, Thrice Reborn is way too good of an enabler, but Swans of Bryn Argoll, Flumph, and Tamanoa are some of my favorite enragers.

Elincia

Omg the Swans of Bryn Argoll are insane. If Wizards ever print a WUG partner commander, Thrasios is out, that's for sure. I also really love Flumph, such a cool political card.

Fiendlash is a cool card, but I find this and Blazing Sunsteel add risks to the gameplan because now your opponents can either target the creature or the equipment in response to your big sorcery spell. Blazing Sunsteel can go infinite with Brash Taunter or Stuffy Doll but I don't think the occasional infinite every 5 or 6 games (I don't run tutors) is worth the additional hoop and vulnerability to disruption.

As for Rite of Passage, after testing I found it underwhelming most of the time. The best case scenario is you have a board of tokens and fire off a damage based wrath and play a protection spell like Heroic Intervention in response, but that's asking a lot. Most of the time it only adds 2 or 3 counters per game and my creatures get wrathed anyway at some point so...

One thing I forgot to mention is that I intentionnaly don't run damage spells that could be very efficient but hurt my life points such as Repercussion. You don't ever want to be the player that burns itself fast because this deck is built for the long game and maintaining a healthy life total is important for that.

Elincia

Played a bit more tonight and as I suspected, Toralf, God of Fury // Toralf's Hammer is an insane finisher combined with damage based wraths. The card is so good I had to readjust the deck a bit to accomodate for it. I added a couple sweepers and invited Toralf's best friend, Aegar, the Freezing Flame. I'll test those changes a bit more, but I think they're definitive. The deck runs a bit smoother this way.

Out:
In:
As much as I like copying Firestorm 4 or 5 times with Fury Storm, the card feels pretty bad when you don't want to pitch the good cards you have in hand to deal only a couple damage. And unlike Nahiri's Wrath, this doesn't provide card advantage when targeting Illusory Ambusher and Body of Knowledge. The risk is not worth the reward. Impulsive Pilferer is good but it doesn't do much if I'm in a game where I don't feel the need to cast Jeska, and the little goblin does not provide sufficient ressources to justify it by itself. Fractured Loyalty and Willbreaker suffer from the wrath problem, so they're out. And I was never a fan of Dack Fayden to begin with.

Leaning a little more on the wrath side of things means I need more mana to pump into my big and X spells, so Coveted Jewel is perfect as both ramp and card advantage. No way to steal it if all your opponents' creatures are dead! It's either that or they attack in a board with Enrage creatures waiting for them. Jewel gives us the little push we need at the right time to close the game if the setup is right.

It's a shame Aegar, the Freezing Flame doesn't work with Jeska, Thrice Reborn , but I feel like having him on board will allow me to cantrip pretty much half of my spells at worst. Best case, it will draw me 10+ cards by casting a wrath into a board full of tokens. Not bad for 3 mana. Forbidden Orchard act as a support piece for him, Toralf, God of Fury // Toralf's Hammer, Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act. I should probably start looking for one or two good static payoffs for creatures dying en masse.

Some cards that felt clunky in the last games I played are Nin, the Pain Artist (a tad too slow most of the time) and Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients (the creatures having to sacrifice themselves on damage is soul crushing). Will test some more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”