The Omenkeel - Exploring your opponents' lands!

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

THE OMENKEEL

The Omenkeel

Commander 1

Approximate Total Cost:

I've sort have wanting to build a mono-blue deck ever since I found a box full of revised islands in my closet. But most mono-blue decks didn't really fit the types of decks I like to play. That is until I started playing Cosima, God of the Voyage // The Omenkeel in standard and realized she has a lot of cool attributes. In particular The Omenkeel is a great commander for Vehicle decks since you can make sure you never miss a landdrop. Combine it with Inspire creatures, creatures that like to be tapped, one card that can untap, and Eldrazi that like opponents to have things in exile, and it includes a lot of neat cards that might otherwise not see much play.

My biggest concern with the deck is the number of Vehicles. Twelve seems like the right number to start with, but I could see it going up or down based on how it plays. My other concern is that the deck will have trouble winning as it doesn't have explosiveness, aggressiveness, control, or ability to win through commander damage, but just the ability to slowly build up resources turn after turn and not be overly affect by most wraths. Finally, I don't see the deck playing Cosima, God of the Voyage often, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Guardman 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

This is a really good deck idea. I do think that you might need a win condition in here where you aren't relying on combat damage. Something like Thassa's Oracle might be appropriate and on theme. IDK

However, exiling cards from libaries can be really powerful in and of itself. I recently lost a game for this very reason because my combo pieces got exiled!

I think double strike and extra combats would be a good direction to go as well in combination with unblockable. In mono blue that would probably mean extra turns. Fireshrieker ?
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

The more I think about it, I get the feeling I am going to have to play a few games with this deck to really figure out what it needs (if anything) as it seems a lot different than most decks I play. I mean, how weird is it that I keep wondering if I should throw Funeral Longboat and Raiders' Karve into the deck.

As for Thassa's Oracle, I just don't think the deck is able to draw enough cards or put enough pips onto the battlefield to win with it.

As for extra turns, I hate when people chain extra turns together (and I know quite a few people who I play with do to), so I try not to run too many of them (hence why I am only running Karn's Temporal Sundering). It's part of the reason I am running stuff like Evacuation (plus the fact I can play it with my crewing on the stack to become the only person with creatures).

The equipment angle is interesting, if a bit weird with Vehicles since they fall off each turn. Don't know if they will end up being too mana intensive though. Also I've really only found three that would probably work to close out a game: Fireshrieker, Blackblade Reforged, and Quietus Spike.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

In theory you shouldn't have to play another land you draw for the entire game.
You've got Dreamscape Artist,, Walking Atlas, Scaretiller, Key to the City, Foil, Smuggler's Copter, Trade Routes which are nice.
But you really want to make sure that drawing lands are not dead draws.
There are a lot of draw and then discard cards. Of these I think Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, Looter il-Kor, Merfolk Looter, Thought Courier, Teferi, Master of Time are the best of them.
Conqueror's Galleon // Conqueror's Foothold is a vehicle that has a draw and discard ability when it's Conqueror's Foothold.
Forbid is excellent to just discard lands each time.
Mana Severance can make sure once you are setup that you can just draw spells for the rest of the game.

Ghirapur Orrery allows playing additional lands.

I would play lots of man lands because they allow you to crew The Omenkeel at the least. The best of them are Blinkmoth Nexus, Inkmoth Nexus, Mishra's Factory, Mutavault.
Field of the Dead as you are playing out opponents motley lands. These are tokens to help crew later on, rather than overwhelm.

One thing I look to do with modal commanders is see if I can double down on both sides. Anything that copies artifacts means that you can copy The Omenkeel and then send the original back to the command zone where you can now cast Cosima, God of the Voyage for the draw advantage.
Copy Artifact and Phyrexian Metamorph being flexible enough that you can just copy other artifacts if need be.

Also worth really thinking about is that you don't want opponents dropping off when you have a lot of their lands in play. Losing lands is generally frowned upon in Magic :P
So I think trying to create aggressive builds is going to work against you. You want to spread out damage and preferable have win cons that kill everybody at once.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Those are some great suggestions there @darrenhabib . I think this is a very cool deck idea and I'm excited to see where it leads.

Would Chromatic Lantern be worth it here so your opponents' non-blue lands can tap for blue?

I think crewing the vehicles is going to be the most challenging aspect of the deck and orginally why I kind of wrote vehicles off as being bad in general.

To that end, tokens make the most sense right?

Sai, Master Thopterist
Chasm Skulker
Followed Footsteps
Docent of Perfection // Final Iteration
Efficient Construction
Master of Waves
Sharding Sphinx
Talrand, Sky Summoner

Maybe Throne of the God-Pharaoh could be used as a way to close out a game?
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
In theory you shouldn't have to play another land you draw for the entire game.
You've got Dreamscape Artist,, Walking Atlas, Scaretiller, Key to the City, Foil, Smuggler's Copter, Trade Routes which are nice.
But you really want to make sure that drawing lands are not dead draws.
There are a lot of draw and then discard cards. Of these I think Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, Looter il-Kor, Merfolk Looter, Thought Courier, Teferi, Master of Time are the best of them.
Conqueror's Galleon // Conqueror's Foothold is a vehicle that has a draw and discard ability when it's Conqueror's Foothold.
Forbid is excellent to just discard lands each time.
Mana Severance can make sure once you are setup that you can just draw spells for the rest of the game.

Ghirapur Orrery allows playing additional lands.

I would play lots of man lands because they allow you to crew The Omenkeel at the least. The best of them are Blinkmoth Nexus, Inkmoth Nexus, Mishra's Factory, Mutavault.
Field of the Dead as you are playing out opponents motley lands. These are tokens to help crew later on, rather than overwhelm.
I thought about this, but I don't want to focus too much on looting (plus the land count is already kind of low). I really want to have a mix of my own lands in play because I think it is too easy to get screwed over by a player randomly losing. Also a big appeal of the deck (and part of the reason I built it) is so I can play all my revised islands.

But that is an interesting call on Forbid. I could see that doing a lot of work in this deck. Ghirapur Orrery is also a good call that I missed before. Should probably throw in a Mishra's Factory as well (don't know what land to cut through... maybe an island, but I feel I am getting a little low on blue sources already).
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
One thing I look to do with modal commanders is see if I can double down on both sides. Anything that copies artifacts means that you can copy The Omenkeel and then send the original back to the command zone where you can now cast Cosima, God of the Voyage for the draw advantage.
Copy Artifact and Phyrexian Metamorph being flexible enough that you can just copy other artifacts if need be.
I do have a Mirrormade lying around so I might throw it in after playing a game or two to see how it feels. The one thing I do know from playing Cosima, God of the Voyage // The Omenkeel in standard (and part of the reason I decided to focus more on The Omenkeel) is that she is a great play on turn three, but with each passing turn she gets worse and worse due to the fact she takes several turns to get you card advantage.
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Also worth really thinking about is that you don't want opponents dropping off when you have a lot of their lands in play. Losing lands is generally frowned upon in Magic :P
So I think trying to create aggressive builds is going to work against you. You want to spread out damage and preferable have win cons that kill everybody at once.
That is true, especially since a few of the best cards in the deck (The Omenkeel, Daring Thief, Roil Elemental) are about taking my opponent's stuff. The problem is I can't think of many wincons in blue that does kill multiple players at once. Maybe I should throw in Blackblade Reforged just to be safe in case I need to take someone out on the quick.

@RowanKeltizar: I am a little concerned about that too, but currently over a third of the deck is either a creature, creates token(s), or can animate artifacts. Theoretically that should be enough, but I think this is something that just needs to be tested out and adjusted accordingly. Throne of the God-Pharaoh is also an interesting suggestion, since I should be able to tap my entire board pretty easily. So is Chromatic Lantern, my only problem is I don't know which peace of ramp it should replace. Any suggestions?

Finally, Memory Lapse could probably be good in this deck since my Vehicles can just exile anything good.

Changelog:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Any kind of draw in the command zone should be something to build around at least to some degree and I don't think that side should be ignored. I think getting extra land drops per turn is going to be beneficial for either side of the commander. If you find yourself topdecking you can cast the Cosima side. Fetchlands of course are great to fuel Cosima while in exile, so I would run basically all of them that are legal... but you could easily go with the ones like Myriad Landscape Evolving Wilds Terramorphic Expanse etc...

Terrain Generator is pretty decent I guess. As are the colorless land fetches. The only one I don't see here is Wayfarer's Bauble. These cards get better if you can reduce their cost or recur them from your graveyard.
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
Any kind of draw in the command zone should be something to build around at least to some degree and I don't think that side should be ignored. I think getting extra land drops per turn is going to be beneficial for either side of the commander. If you find yourself topdecking you can cast the Cosima side. Fetchlands of course are great to fuel Cosima while in exile, so I would run basically all of them that are legal... but you could easily go with the ones like Myriad Landscape Evolving Wilds Terramorphic Expanse etc...

Terrain Generator is pretty decent I guess. As are the colorless land fetches. The only one I don't see here is Wayfarer's Bauble. These cards get better if you can reduce their cost or recur them from your graveyard.
That's a fair point, but its not the direction I really want to focus the deck on, at least initially. The whole reason I got excited for the deck is The Omenkeel, and at least until I play with it a bit (which is looking more like mid to late June at this point), I really want to focus on it. After playing with it, I might be like, you know what, the deck does need to support Cosima, God of the Voyage more because I find myself playing her often.

Good call on Terrain Generator though. I missed it the first time (unfortunately I don't have the money to spend buying a $5 card right now, but it is what it is). But I will add it if I can find a good deal on a trade.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”