New-ish to Commander

Scarecrow1104
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Scarecrow1104 » 3 years ago

Hi everybody, first time posting and relatively new to Commander. I've played a handful of games and in the process of building a new deck and I still need to take out three to six more cards before adding lands. I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions.

Note: I am counting Search for Azcanta and Journey to Eternity as lands so are not counted among the cards that need editing.

Thanks.

Here's the deck list, https://www.topdecked.me/decks/9e2ba168 ... e5e9e02759

Tags:

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

Back in Khans of Tarkir there was this deck, Sidisi whip, it's pretty similar to this I guess! Nice trip down memory lane! Building a deck is great fun and hope you enjoy and build tons!

Take all I say with a grain of salt, I'm not a experienced/good deck builder. But I'll try Whats your plan? To self mill and acrue value from it and I guess milling your opponent too? This latter part I'm not sure, I see there are also some reanimation going on. I've learned its nice to get focus and do it well. Also better way to help if we know properly what you plan to do!

I think Search for Azcanta // Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin can be counted as a land since you have so much self-mill. But I don't think Journey to Eternity // Atzal, Cave of Eternity can be a realible flip.

Green is the best ramp collor so a ramp package so you can reliably play the game would be a nice input I guess

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Welcome to commander! It really helps to lay out your cards by function instead of card type so you can see what the deck is trying to do.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Scarecrow1104

Duducrash: this deck is based off my standard self-mill deck from back in the Tarkir days (the last time I actively bought cards).

My idea was to have two avenues of attack and since I'm going to be killing myself I figured I could do it to everyone else too!

The idea is that Brawn and Genesis make it into the graveyard as soon as possible either through mill, Buried Alive or Jarad's Orders then it's an matter of milling myself and opponents until I'm able to play Lord of Extinction + Dragon Throne of Tarkir + Phenax, Lord of Deception and either win through mill or through trample.

The deck doesn't have a draw mechanic and I should be milling a decent amount of cards thus the reason for the reanimation and cards like Geth, Lord of the Vault, Villainous Wealth, extract from Darkness and King Narfi's Betrayal. I get to pick which cards go into my hand and use my opponents graveyards as a semi additional hand. Similar concept for the Mimeoplasm, if there's a creature in an opponent's graveyard that I think I can use I'll copy that one.

Another win condition is The Mimeoplasm- Devourer of Memory + a variable strength/toughness creature. Massive, unblockable commander damage.

RowanKeltizar: That's usually how I build decks but I don't have all the cards for this one and don't have the money to just buy all the ones I'm interested in and go from there. So, I've been making do with jotting down categories and counting how many cards fit in each and doing it that way.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

For the purpose of getting feedback on the forums, it would be helpful to post a decklist organized by function in this thread.

I like your deck idea but I think it could be streamlined. I don't see very much instant speed interaction, which will be a problem for you.

Even though you are utilizing graveyards, you are still going to want some regular card draw in the deck. You NEVER want to get into a situation where you are topdecking. Creatures with draw effects on ETB can be very good. Things like Disciple of Bolas or God-Eternal Bontu are pretty good for a deck like this. Greater Good can also be excellent.

You want to run spells that are efficient at what they do. Run Regrowth instead of Restock that sort of thing. Generally speaking, you want the vast majority of your spells to be useful in first 2-4 turns.

As mentioned above, I don't see any ramp. You will lag behind the rest of the table waiting until you can cast Mimeoplasm. Many of your spells simply cost too much and you WILL draw into them through the course of the game.

Milling opponents really has it's drawbacks in commander. At least 3 of my decks would really love to play against yours just to fill my own graveyard so I can utilize it myself. Reanimation and recursion are rampant. If you are going to go the route of milling your opponents (which I don't really recommend for this deck) you want several ways to lock out your opponents from using their own stuff. However, there aren't too many things that do this and still allow you to utilize their creatures.

For inspiration I would go to EDHREC and take a look at some cards listed for The Scarab God https://edhrec.com/commanders/the-scarab-god and for Meren of Clan Nel Toth https://edhrec.com/commanders/meren-of-clan-nel-toth

Both of these commanders are very popular and are doing similar things to what you want to do.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Scarecrow1104

Thanks for the feedback, next time I will organize the list by function rather than as a standard list.

So, better cost effectiveness with instants, have a draw mechanic, less opponent mill and more ramp.

duducrash
Still Learning

I think tables are usually forgiving with budget options and you can slowly upgrade over time, looking foward to your next list

Scarecrow1104

What do you mean by tables?

duducrash
Still Learning

Groups of people playing the game

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”