Hoka Hey! A fine day for dying...a Hans Eriksson adventure

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

Commander deck for my boi, Hans Eriksson

This has been a super fun deck to play, and can really do pretty well sometimes. Usually the right thing to do is tutor up Vigor, but Hans has himself a pretty decent toolbox and a LOT of neat interactions. I'll name a few I've noticed. I've tried to keep a good density of creatures that don't kill or die to Hans and can make an impact. Anything that can kill Hans needs to be impactful, except Lhurgoyf whose presence is pure flavor. I will say, that thing can get big sometimes! I like that the deck never seems to feel like it doesn't have something to do, the ramp and draw packages keep hands full and lands out. The key here is top deck manipulation, via topdeck tutors, recursion and things like Scroll Rack and Sensei's Divining Top

- Swung with a Stonehoof Chieftain and Hans Eriksson topdecked an Apex Altisaur for an instant one sided creature wipe
- Lurking Predators is a workhorse in conjunction with topdeck manipulation, especially Cream of the Crop
- Neyith of the Dire Hunt draws a card every time Hans encounters a creature, great with Apex Altisaur and in general. Doesn't kill or die to Hans
- Guardian Project gets a lot of work done in conjunction with Hans
- Hua Tuo, Honored Physician can do some cool things, and if you feel safe about it you can let Hans go to the yard and get him back tax free. Especially nice with a haste enabler. Be aware of the timing restriction though!
- Moraug, Fury of Akoum is awesome with Hans and even better with topdeck manipulation. Make sure to save your land drops for 2nd main though. I love the design on this card, he's dangerous and fun but you can't really go infinite with it.
- Radha, Heart of Keld lets you see what's coming up for Hans. Oracle and Courser are nice like this too, but Radha is bae because she doesn't reveal.
- Pyrohemia is awesome with Vigor, throw in a Spike Weaver for maximum value.
- You can stack triggers in such a way that if Vigor dies you can still put it back on top with Noxious Revival et al before the shuffle trigger resolves.
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker can be an absolute boss.

Some Non-Bos
- Vigor and Apex Altisaur don't make magic together

Things to work on are perhaps increasing creature density and providing more evasion for Hans especially. Converting more ramp and answers to creature based versions seems like a thing to do also. Maybe some more ways to fight creatures? Some lifegain? More back up card draw, maybe built into the land base.

The commander is Hans Eriksson
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by WolfWhoWanders 3 years ago, edited 12 times in total.
Responds well to spells and abilities

Tags:

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

So this is interesting. You want to get effects that will make Hans indestructible, Once you do, you want fatties on top of the library.
I think this calls for Cream of the Crop. This card helps you dig a ton. Makes top look slow.
Collector Ouphe looks rough with all the artifacts you have.
I really like the idea.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

WolfWhoWanders

@Dunharrow
Lol, I didn't even connect it. I think I threw the ouphe in early because he's awesome and doesn't die to or kill Hans. I don't know why I passed over Cream of the Crop, but it's a good call. Definitely need some more big fatties too, probably cut ouphe for like a Polyraptor or something and Mirri's Guile for cream

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
3 years ago
I can't figure out how to get this thing to display properly. Had a problem with the Archelos deck I made too, spent a lot of time trying to work it out. Worked it out somehow, completely forgot what I did. If you click in the top right corner of the decklist and click "standardize sorting" it should be easier to look at. Apologies
What you can do is click the "standardize sorting" then click the same button to download as "Plain Text". Open that up on your computer with Notepad or whatever and copy and paste that content into your deck tag.

WolfWhoWanders

Changed the deck around. Increased creature density for more hits with Hans, added some more control elements into the creature base. I think I want to squeeze Bonders' Enclave and War Room in for some more draw, maybe an Arcane Lighthouse for those pesky hexproof/shroud creatures who don't want to play with my giant dino. Converting more effects into creatures would be ideal too. Topdeck manipulation seems pretty good where it's at, but Mirri's Guile could be added for further redunancy. What would be real nice is another way to get cards from hand on top, like Scroll Rack. Hans is a great and fun casual commander.

WolfWhoWanders

Some more edits.

- Garruk's Uprising
- Dolmen Gate
- Gruul Turf
- Arcane Signet
- Magus of the Moon
- Forest
- Hammer of Nazahn
- Reclaim
- Mountain

+ Terastodon
+ High Market
+ Arcane Lighthouse
+ Fertilid
+ Solemn Simulacrum
+ Bramble Sovereign
+ Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary
+ Eternal Witness
+ Kodama of the East Tree

Made some changes, just a few... Ramping always feels pretty good, especially with the high mana cost of a lot of cards and general cost of running the deck. Lowered the land count a little, will have to see how that works out. Might be fine, might not. Creature count is getting higher, making Lurking Predators feel great.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”