Karlach, Fury of Avernus

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

H'ok, so, Karlach, Fury of Avernus is my favourite Choose a Background legend from the Battle of Baldur's Gate set. I'm kind of a dork who just really likes the attack step. I also really like that Karlach gives us mass First Strike. My only struggle is that I can't seem to find a background I want to use with her. I'm a little reluctant to play r/w because Aurelia already lives in that space and the territory is pretty well trod, and I'm even more averse to playing mono-red, because it's often... just kind of bad.

Is anyone else looking at Karlach and pondering a set of colours, and mining out tech for it? My initial inkling is to pair her with Hardy Outlander, because it's an attack trigger, and plays on Karlach's relatively good stats, or to use Cultist of the Absolute because it would make her a spooky flying beast.

Tags:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

I like Haunted One.

1) It's black, upon which when one once goes, one never returns.
a) It's spookier than Cultist of the Absolute.

2) You don't have to lean into the tribal aspect too much. There are three godo barbarians, three hirable tieflings, and since you'll be running the three okay changelings Solemn Doomguide might even be halfway playable. That isn't a whole lot, but buffing your commander and giving them undying is very solid on its own. It won't deal as much damage overall as Hardy Outlander but it has a little more utility.

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

You could send in Karlach first with Sword Coast Sailor. Not sure what else is in the UR space that benefits from a round of pseudo-vigilance and first strike. Ninjas would miss out on it. Edric-type flyers/unblockables would like to punch twice (and can get the Raid Bombardment/Cavalcade of Calamity triggers). Pirates/raid have some okay triggers.

I'd only play W for Kwende, Pride of Femeref.

Your green plan would be tremendous when you drop Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I like Haunted One.

1) It's black, upon which when one once goes, one never returns.
a) It's spookier than Cultist of the Absolute.

2) You don't have to lean into the tribal aspect too much. There are three godo barbarians, three hirable tieflings, and since you'll be running the three okay changelings Solemn Doomguide might even be halfway playable. That isn't a whole lot, but buffing your commander and giving them undying is very solid on its own. It won't deal as much damage overall as Hardy Outlander but it has a little more utility.
You know, I misread Haunted One; I thought it was only other creatures that share a type, but not your commander itself. That said, this puts Karlach to 7, which is pretty lethal.
Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
You could send in Karlach first with Sword Coast Sailor. Not sure what else is in the UR space that benefits from a round of pseudo-vigilance and first strike. Ninjas would miss out on it. Edric-type flyers/unblockables would like to punch twice (and can get the Raid Bombardment/Cavalcade of Calamity triggers). Pirates/raid have some okay triggers.

I'd only play W for Kwende, Pride of Femeref.

Your green plan would be tremendous when you drop Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma.
Kwende is a pretty good angle.

I do like Sword Coast Sailor as a cool safety measure; since Karlach becomes unblockable for the whole turn, the second attack step is anybody you want. I suppose I have to look closer at what kinds of attack/combat triggers I want to include...

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I'm thinking about this general way too much now.
Karlach + Agent of the Shadow Thieves + Invasion Plans/Grand Melee

Obviously that's three pieces for a makeshift Lure effect, but it sure makes the most out of first strike. Really general-reliant, though.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
You know, I misread Haunted One; I thought it was only other creatures that share a type, but not your commander itself. That said, this puts Karlach to 7, which is pretty lethal.
7, then 9! Any way to give Karlach a +3 bonus like Grafted Wargear, Hero's Blade, O-Naginata, or Commander's Plate and you're out there one-shotting folks.

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

You could also use the variety of red cards that give a 3 power bump, like Borrowed Hostility, Brute Force , and Titan's Strength. Uncanny Speed and Reckless Charge let you swing for lethal the turn she comes down

Sinis

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
I'm thinking about this general way too much now.
Karlach + Agent of the Shadow Thieves + Invasion Plans/Grand Melee

Obviously that's three pieces for a makeshift Lure effect, but it sure makes the most out of first strike. Really general-reliant, though.
Agent of the Shadow Thieves seems pretty good in the same way Sword Coast Sailor is. Very kind of boilerplate "This is your extra colour plus a small bonus". I think I'd struggle with symmetrical forced combat because Karlach has no native haste, and that means someone can just bash her with my own cards. I'd lean closer to Nemesis Mask despite the premium on mana cost.
NotARooster wrote:
1 year ago
You could also use the variety of red cards that give a 3 power bump, like Borrowed Hostility, Brute Force , and Titan's Strength. Uncanny Speed and Reckless Charge let you swing for lethal the turn she comes down
It's worth noting that unlike Aurelia, she doesn't have haste, so you'd have to commit to those pumps and then greaves, or something. It's an interesting idea, though!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

I keep going back and forth here on Noble Heritage since that gives you SFM for boots, but as you say that competes directly with Aurelia and I'm not sure it's any better. Getting protection is good but according to the card you can still be blocked (though you won't take damage). I've considered using Inspiring Leader and building an army with something like Sacred Mesa|ath, Rise of the Hobgoblins, and Goblin Trenches which multiplies the extra damage you can do here exponentially.

Ultimately I still end up back on B with, say, Criminal Past so I can Unmarked Grave for Anger while I end up going tall and two-shotting people (which is one turn because of the extra combat). Worth noting you can also dig up and dump Filth, which makes your two shot plan even easier. Haunted One won't do the same thing as 7 + 9 = 16 damage and you're capped...criminal past can upscale much more trivially, even if it doesn't offer undying.

.....I've given this way, way too much thought.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago

Ultimately I still end up back on B with, say, Criminal Past so I can Unmarked Grave for Anger while I end up going tall and two-shotting people (which is one turn because of the extra combat). Worth noting you can also dig up and dump Filth, which makes your two shot plan even easier. Haunted One won't do the same thing as 7 + 9 = 16 damage and you're capped...criminal past can upscale much more trivially, even if it doesn't offer undying.
I completely forgot about Criminal Past. Thats probably the best option for R/B Karlach, much easier to set up and since you're already stuffing your graveyard it couldn't hurt to run some reanimation to replace Undying

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”