Disrupt - Worth it?

LightningHelix
Pronoun: he / him

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

For reference Disrupt

If you view this as a 1 mana cantrip that taxes mana and sometimes "gets" people with their pants down, it seems pretty good.

Drawback is someone has to cast an instant or sorcery just so you can cantrip.

Do people see this card as worth it?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

No. Too narrow by far.

For every "gotcha" there'll be 100 times that it rots in your hand being crappy.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

The only reason to run it is as an alter with Samuel L Jackson from Pulp Fiction, because that flavor text is literally the same as his lines in the first scene.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

It's cute that it will always draw a card, but that's not in and of itself good enough to make it worth playing.

I hear this a lot from people. "It cycles, so it's never dead." "It cantrips, so it replaces itself." Those features don't always redeem a card into playability. If you fill a deck with cycling cards and cantrips, you won't ever have any gas. It's okay to play some corner-case cards for those gotcha moments, but I think this one will basically never happen.

LightningHelix

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

Sounds good, consensus is it's not good enough.

Thanks all

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

LightningHelix wrote:
2 years ago
Do people see this card as worth it?
Not really.

As for CMC 1 counters, Flusterstorm, Miscast, Spell Pierce and Swan Song are all arguably more efficient. And if you're looking for aggressively costed ones that replace themselves, Arcane Denial and Remand are less restrictive, with Miscalculation being an honorable mention.

So, even without the (virtually) free counters, that's at least 6 counters i'd play before it.

A while back - around WAR, possibly - i was considering Squelch for similiar reasons. But despite replacing itself and being less restrictive than Disrupt, there are just too many great options.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Though if you play with the same playgroup regularly, it could be fun to swap it in for a session or so, sandbagging it until you finally get to crush a dream, swap it out for something better without telling them so they'll continue to play around your bluffs for a while.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Arebennian

Post by Arebennian » 2 years ago

I dunno. I wouldn't write it off so quick.

If you've got a spellslinger deck that operates at, predominantly, instant speed and you get value off the cast trigger then it might be ok in that. Think a reactive Kykar / Talrand / Baral deck.

If you either don't think of it as a counter spell and run it out on a whim and/or have a high enough density of counter spells that you are likely holding disrupt and another counter then I don't think it matters if it is rotting in your hand.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago

A while back - around WAR, possibly - i was considering Squelch for similiar reasons. But despite replacing itself and being less restrictive than Disrupt, there are just too many great options.
Critical difference here is that Squelch has some of the best flavor text ever printed imho. It gets cut pretty often, but the sheer flavor always keeps it in contention for me.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Disrupt is a weak cantrip - you can't cast it unless an opponent casts an instant or sorcery, and it doesn't provide any filtering, which is what you usually want from your cantrips. It also looks like a weak counterspell - it only hits a narrow class of targets, and it's not even a hard counter. It's possible to cheese an opponent if they tap out for a massive X spell, but I'd greatly prefer a hard counter the vast majority of the time. Maaaaaybe if you have a way to tutor it up at instant speed, but that's pretty niche.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Sometimes I dislike Swan Song because it does not hit enough.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
The only reason to run it is as an alter with Samuel L Jackson from Pulp Fiction, because that flavor text is literally the same as his lines in the first scene.
I couldn't help myself.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
I couldn't help myself.

Yeah, we happy.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

At the end of the day, you just got to ask yourself if you want to play it. That's a good enough reason to play Disrupt to me. If I had that Pulp Fiction alter, I'd play it as often as possible.

If you care more about winning as many games as possible, then no.

It's not like your trying to qualify for a non-existent Pro Tour in edh. So being "good" shouldn't matter too much. It's not like this is MLD or even a good counterspell (which some ppl hate playing against), so play it if you like it.

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Disrupt is a weak cantrip - you can't cast it unless an opponent casts an instant or sorcery,
This is false. You can cast it targeting your own instant or sorcery, pay the 1, & draw a card.

I like Disrupt in theory, especially in decks that run mana denial. I haven't played much with it yet, but it's in a few of my many decks. I consider situational cantrip answers underrated in the format, though they certainly can sit dead in your hand & that always feels bad. Disrupt strikes me as better than many of these because in most games you'll have the chance to "cycle" it for a single mana while also making an opponent spend a mana. & every once in a while you'll stop a spell from an opponent.

I've seen Mana Tithe be shockingly good in casual EDH, though that could be the surprise factor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”