Land Tax and replacements

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Tithe is one of those cards that makes me curse the reserve list, and makes me not feel bad about using proxies. It's significantly less overpowered than Land Tax, while still being strong. I don't like putting Land Tax into decks for pretty much the same reason I don't like Rhystic Study and Smothering Tithe, it's annoying. I do play all three, but am annoyed when I do so, and also recognize that it annoys my opponents to be constantly bothered about my card's triggers. Tithe carries none of that, while providing excellent value. Gift of Estates is similar, but obviously less powerful again.

Tithe and Gift of Estates is a design space I wish was used a bit more. The ability to search for "Plains" is what once set white's land-search apart from green's "Basic Land." But now it seems like the trend is towards "Basic Plains" and stapling the ability onto an otherwise mediocre creature.

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I would love to see them print a sorcery version of Tithe just so we have it. It's not quite as good cos you can't cheese it with fetchlands, but it would be a seriously nice card to have available.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
-snip-
Tithe and Gift of Estates is a design space I wish was used a bit more. The ability to search for "Plains" is what once set white's land-search apart from green's "Basic Land." But now it seems like the trend is towards "Basic Plains" and stapling the ability onto an otherwise mediocre creature.
They haven't totally abandoned searching Plains - Angel of the Ruins Ruins[/card] is great!

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
2 years ago
JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
-snip-
They haven't totally abandoned searching Plains - Angel of the Ruins Ruins[/card] is great!
Oh! I totally glossed over the fact that Plainscycling doesn't specify "Basic"!!

LightningHelix

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

I think I'd only run Land Tax in enchantress style decks. Since most of my ramp is aura style cards like Wild Growth so I usually don't overdo it on land ramp.

The 1 CMC for easy enchantress triggers is nice as well.

Most of the time, I'd rather Tithe .

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 2 years ago

Hi guys,
I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you,

I admit that I completely forgot about Weathered Wayfarer even if I used him in the past.
For more context, three decks of mine are concerned by this topic : Kemba (which runs a lot of equipments and some anthems like Regal Caracal , Intangible Virtue), Dakkon (which is listed somewhere in mtgnexus) and Kaalia (classical version but with a sunforger package).
Sometimes, I need to get my lands immediately and by doing this, I consider Tithe and Gift of estates like draw spells instead of ramp spells.

For the record, I won the last 2 games in my playgroup with Kemba against Ur-dragon, Kaalia (My deck, I loaned it) and Reyan/Ishai. The first was by playing Cathar crusade followed by White sun's zenith at the end of my predecessor turn. The second with Kaalia dealing 22 damage to one player at a time (thanks to Mace of the Valiant and Fireshrieker ). In both games, I didn't see any "ramp spell".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”