SPOILER
Show
Hide
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Well, here's 2.0:

Froggie Went a Courtin'
Approximate Total Cost:

First impression (Don;t have much more time). You only run 14 creatures. How do you build a board presence?

Tags:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
1 year ago
First impression (Don;t have much more time). You only run 14 creatures. How do you build a board presence?
Sorry, I'm intoxicated, I hit post before completing the post. I've edited in some notes.

As for board presence, our commander has first strike and deathtouch.

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I think Ancient Greenwarden is worth it tbh, playing it and immediately getting 2 zombies is very nice. Both him and new Norn I think are good, because are 2 playable effects in one card

Aditionally, Scapeshift and Crop Rotation are very nice

I think I like Tear Asunder more than path to exile these days

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
1 year ago
Sorry, I'm intoxicated, I hit post before completing the post. I've edited in some notes.

As for board presence, our commander has first strike and deathtouch.
and we have Field of the Dead and 400 tutors

note: I would try to get Elvish Reclaimer in. it good.

Gorillajay

Post by Gorillajay » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
I think Ancient Greenwarden is worth it tbh, playing it and immediately getting 2 zombies is very nice. Both him and new Norn I think are good, because are 2 playable effects in one card
Agreed, given the redundancy and tutors we have in getting Field of the Dead I could see this being very strong. Maybe it can replace Avenger of Zendikar as they have a similar place on the curve and we already have a good amount of token producers/buffers + tutors to get them out?

Also, is Lotus Cobra worth a slot here? It's some explosive mana ramp, especially with multiple land drops. Just not sure if that's the kind of ramp we can use effectively?

Finally, I love the pet card of Overgrown Estate. Zuran Orb has a similar effect. Could we add in something like Aetherflux Reservoir for a cheeky backup win con, or is that too cute? If we're in the interest of saccing lands Squandered Resources becomes an option as well.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago

Aditionally, Scapeshift and Crop Rotation are very nice

I think I like Tear Asunder more than path to exile these days
I'm not quite sold on the Greenwarden coming back in. From my brief experience playing Yarok, the Desecrated Lands, doubling FIeld/Swarm token production wasn't bad but it often felt unnecessary. I'm not opposed to it, I'm just weary of winmore six-drops.

I will not turn this into a Scapeshift deck. I'm already running the snoozefest that is Hoof, but only because it's so damn synergistic. Tear Asunder is decent, but I'm already running so many other 'any target' removal that it might not be necessary. I love the versatility, but here the efficiency of the one mana spells wins out, I think, even with so much mana available. I would say it's the seventh removal spell I would run.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
and we have Field of the Dead and 400 tutors

note: I would try to get Elvish Reclaimer in. it good.
Oh, right. I thought they meant general board presence to deter random attackers. There are also the numerous other ways this deck can produce bodies in mass quantity. Reclaimer is pretty good, but is it too redundant with Knight of the Reliquary? I suppose I could cut Sylvan Scrying for it, but I like the idea of getting the land now more than having to wait a turn for a repeatable effect. I'd say it's a toss-up between the two and I wouldn't blame anyone for running one over the other.
Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
Agreed, given the redundancy and tutors we have in getting Field of the Dead I could see this being very strong. Maybe it can replace Avenger of Zendikar as they have a similar place on the curve and we already have a good amount of token producers/buffers + tutors to get them out?

Also, is Lotus Cobra worth a slot here? It's some explosive mana ramp, especially with multiple land drops. Just not sure if that's the kind of ramp we can use effectively?

Finally, I love the pet card of Overgrown Estate. Zuran Orb has a similar effect. Could we add in something like Aetherflux Reservoir for a cheeky backup win con, or is that too cute? If we're in the interest of saccing lands Squandered Resources becomes an option as well.
It's a tough call. Avenger is a great army-in-a-can and is self-sufficient in winning games all by itself. I think Worm Harvest is also an option, as the number of lands in the graveyard might be much lower than we think. Cobra is much worse than Tireless Provisioner as we can bank the mana with the Provisioner.

The main reasons to run Estate are threefold: 1) it is grossly unplayable in any other deck 2) it's a way to sustain ourselves in the mid to late game if our life total gets low, which between random attacks, fetchlands, and the black tutors and card draw spells might be necessary and 3) it's a way to make dumb plays with Splendid Reclamation or World Shaper. Reservoir is too cute, and while I love me some Squandered Resources I don't think we could take advantage of the mana so much as we need a way to sustain our life total.

pokken

I would swap reclaimer in for tireless provisioner. That card is trash :P yay you made a ton of mana! we already have a ton of mana.

reclaimer can find big mana lands *and* make lethal board state and help ramp (since it feeds crucibles)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I would swap reclaimer in for tireless provisioner. That card is trash :P yay you made a ton of mana! we already have a ton of mana.

reclaimer can find big mana lands *and* make lethal board state and help ramp (since it feeds crucibles)
I agree.

Gorillajay

Post by Gorillajay » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
It's a tough call. Avenger is a great army-in-a-can and is self-sufficient in winning games all by itself. I think Worm Harvest is also an option, as the number of lands in the graveyard might be much lower than we think. Cobra is much worse than Tireless Provisioner as we can bank the mana with the Provisioner.
Yeah, It's nice to have Avenger be self sufficient at getting value while Ancient Greenwarden needs Lands + Landfall effect to benefit. That said, I like the suggestion of cutting Worm Harvest. I played it in a Gitrog deck and it didn't feel like I was able to get much value out of it, most of the times we want to be replaying our lands from the yard so we're actively working against being able to make several pests. Plus the 100% pure synergy of Ancient Greenwarden + Field of the Dead or Felidar Retreat is TOO GOOD to pass up.

Agreed about Lotus Cobra being worst then Tireless Provisioner.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I agree.
Also agree that cutting Provisioner for Elvish Reclaimer seems like a good plan to make sure we can ALWAYS get Field of the Dead.

*slaps hood of deck*

I feel like we're almost there... we're about ready for a test drive on this baby.

duducrash
Still Learning

I'm curious about Wild Growth and Utopia Sprawl , is it in order to hit the commander on t3? I like at least Into the North before.

I might have missed, but why cut the Awaken the Woods ? seems like the deck for it.

Before release there was a lot of talk about Rootpath Purifier, it could be ok with fetches such as Prismatic Vista and Fabled Passage

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
I'm curious about Wild Growth and Utopia Sprawl , is it in order to hit the commander on t3? I like at least Into the North before.
Not only are those two enchantments powerful and underplayed, enabling a turn 3 TATGM seems very, very good. You get a land drop, disruption, and a top tier blocker all in one. Even if she's removed, you can likely cast her the following turn. I can't really think of any more powerful ahead of curve plays our deck can make, and it's not even close. As for Into the North, por que não ambos? Our deck can support the snow duals.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Approximate Total Cost:

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 1 year ago

Strip Mine and Wasteland recursion wins a lot of games.

I also second life gain. When you are activating 2 fetchlands a turn, life loss adds up.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

You tricked me with your magus of the crucible tag.

Also, can't believe I pulled the trigger on ordering my Abzan deck two days before this spoiler :D

heridfel

Post by heridfel » 1 year ago

I think you may have gone too light on basic lands to make Prismatic Vista, Sakura-Tribe Elder, and Rampant Growth useful. There are also a lot of cards which look for Forests compared to how many Forests you have (7, if I counted right).

The only cards I see which require more than one black mana are Damn and the spell side of Agadeem, so I don't know that Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth gets you much more than a Swamp would. Yeah, it is a different name for Field of the Dead and can combo with Dread Presence, but those seem to be the only other benefits.

I think you'd want Snow-Covered basic lands rather than normal ones to reduce the chance of Into the North being a dead card.

Personally, I don't think this deck benefits as much from Sol Ring as many decks because this deck has access to green and most of its cards don't come out two turns faster with two colorless mana. You can get things out one turn faster with any number of green options. Given something like Hour of Revelation needing 3 white mana or the commander needing all three types, I would consider Birds of Paradise as ramp and color fixing. If it draws some targeted removal which might have otherwise hit your commander or Oracle/Azuza/Elvish Reclaimer, then it still served a purpose. If that would draw heat with your local group, though, then so be it.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

heridfel wrote:
1 year ago
I think you may have gone too light on basic lands to make Prismatic Vista, Sakura-Tribe Elder, and Rampant Growth useful. There are also a lot of cards which look for Forests compared to how many Forests you have (7, if I counted right).

The only cards I see which require more than one black mana are Damn and the spell side of Agadeem, so I don't know that Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth gets you much more than a Swamp would. Yeah, it is a different name for Field of the Dead and can combo with Dread Presence, but those seem to be the only other benefits.

I think you'd want Snow-Covered basic lands rather than normal ones to reduce the chance of Into the North being a dead card.

Personally, I don't think this deck benefits as much from Sol Ring as many decks because this deck has access to green and most of its cards don't come out two turns faster with two colorless mana. You can get things out one turn faster with any number of green options. Given something like Hour of Revelation needing 3 white mana or the commander needing all three types, I would consider Birds of Paradise as ramp and color fixing. If it draws some targeted removal which might have otherwise hit your commander or Oracle/Azuza/Elvish Reclaimer, then it still served a purpose. If that would draw heat with your local group, though, then so be it.
You're probably right about the basics. In my opinion, it's a mistake to get too cute with colorless utility lands in 3+ color decks. A manabase's primary function is to, well, make mana, and cards like Bonders' Enclave and Contested War Zone are probably not worth running. As for Urborg/Presence, I think you might actually be right. I think those three can for one each of Snow-Covered Forest, Plains, and Swamp. This improves the basic fetches as well as Into the North.

I think I agree about Sol Ring, which greatly pleases me. It's not so much that Birds and dorks draw targeted removal, it's that they inevitably get swept away in a board wipe. However, this deck is able to capitalize on both the ramp, temporary or not, and the body by the use of TATGM's attack trigger, so I think Birds is actually worth running over Sol Ring. Similarly, if I'm running the best of the best dorks, why not Bloom Tender? With 12 2mv or less ramp spells that get us TATGM on turn 3, that gives us a roughly 67% chance to do so. With intelligent mulligans, this gives us a very good chance of this.

The one big disadvantage of the deck so far in my limited testing has been the lack of draw spell density. I have all the tutors in the world but no way to fill the gas tank up in an emergency. With Dread Presence out, we need at least two more draw spells to replace it and up the odds to run into one. Realms Uncharted fills a similar card advantage role, but is a little redundant with so many ways to find and enable Field of the Dead. I think it's a difficult but ultimately correct card to cut.

What decent draw spells are left in Abzan? Moonlight Bargain teeters in and out of playability here, Digging so deep at instant speed with the ability to mitigate the life loss by dumping lands in the graveyard that we can then replay with Crucible effects just makes sense to me. The only other option I can think of is Stinging Study. I brushed it off earlier, but drawing four cards at instant speed is actually pretty good. It's probably even better than Skeletal Scrying, but both are worth running.

Finally, as we're not exactly a control deck, five board wipes is excessive and Tragic Arrogance is probably the worst of them, so out it goes.

With Urborg gone, Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth is now on the chopping block. With so many ways to produce green, it might do more harm to us than good by fixing our opponents' mana if they're on green/x. Mana Confluence is a decent replacement for even better fixing, or maybe Kor Haven as an additional way to deter attackers.

- Bonders' Enclave
- Contested War Zone
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- Dread Presence
- Sol Ring (I love the fact that ol' Ring isn't very good here)
- Realms Uncharted
- Tragic Arrogance

+ Snow-Covered Forest
+ Snow-Covered Plains
+ Snow-Covered Swamp
+ Birds of Paradise
+ Bloom Tender
+ Moonlight Bargain
+ Stinging Study

Here's my next draft:

Board Wipe: 4

1 Damn
Approximate Total Cost:

We're getting very close to where I think the deck should be before I take it to the decklist forum.

EDIT: How do we feel about cutting either World Shaper or Splendid Reclamation? We really only need one mass land recursion spell, given the number of Crucible effects we run, so one of these can go for perhaps another draw spell. I'm a little biased towards Splendid Reclamation since it requires less set up, but on the other hand, World Shaper fuels itself and is slightly less vulnerable to countermagic when combined with Overgrown Estate.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
why not Bloom Tender?
I think Ilysian Caryatid and Bloom Tender are both worth thinking about as 2 cmc ramp.

I gotta say the only substantial disagreement I have with you is manabase.

I would cut a lot of that cute stuff
Should becomes omething like...6 more basics, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Scattered Groves, and maybe the triome but man I hate that it etb's tapped.

I do think this is a Gaea's Cradle deck but I understand the cost concerns there.

The non-green cycling lands are hot garbage imho. They enter tapped, make one color, and aren't fetchable. :thumbs down:

I think Farseek Into the North and Rampant Growth are all trash; i'd rather have big mana 2 cmc dudes I think there. I think Sakura-Tribe Elder has advantages of being able to loop with Volrath's Stronghold in a stall, so I like that.

Even though we like having spells to get more land drops, kinda, I think a crucible effect and our commander representing 4 landfall triggers is enough to get the job done, and having a dork that taps for 2 is real good (and represents another body).

You may want to consider Deathrite Shaman as well. It's got a lot of utility and will usually ramp.

--

I'm normally not really a proponent of playing a lot of dork-creature bridge ramp in a deck like this, but man, the payoff for getting your commander out on 3 instead of 4 is absurd, and your commander will fix almost everything.

The other very nice thing about creatures is that you can sac them to draw cards. I really, really like that interaction.

With that in mind, plus that Gaea's Cradle / Deserted Temple will figure prominently, I will likely run a lot more dorks than I usually would in a lands deck.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I think Ilysian Caryatid and Bloom Tender are both worth thinking about as 2 cmc ramp.
Sure. We want TATGM on turn 3 all the time.
I gotta say the only substantial disagreement I have with you is manabase.

I would cut a lot of that cute stuff
Should becomes omething like...6 more basics, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Scattered Groves, and maybe the triome but man I hate that it etb's tapped.

I think Farseek Into the North and Rampant Growth are all trash; i'd rather have big mana 2 cmc dudes I think there. I think Sakura-Tribe Elder has advantages of being able to loop with Volrath's Stronghold in a stall, so I like that.

The non-green cycling lands are hot garbage imho. They enter tapped, make one color, and aren't fetchable. :thumbs down:
I do admit that sometimes I can be too cute for own good with my manabases, but I think you go too far here. The deck could use more green mana overall, so I can agree with Stage and Eiganjo. Vesuva is worthwhile as the only Field clone because it costs no mana to activate and is real, real good with Reclaimer, Knight, and Crop Rotation. Bog is similarly good because of the ways to tutor for it. The triome and Bosk may enter tapped, but being fetchable with fetchlands and some ramp spells to fix mana is very, very good. The snow duals and cycling lands are borderline. Enabling Into the North and giving us the Loam draw engine is pretty decent, but I could see getting rid of them for more basics. I do like that I'm completely singleton for maximum Field efficiency, though.

I think for replacements Tangled Vale and Mana Confluence are solid. Vale can help us get to TATGM on turn 3 while also being an acceptable land drop on turn 1 to set up for another ramp spell on turn 2. Confluence needs no defense, though I'm worried about the amount of self-pain this deck inflicts considering how grindy it is. Is Overgrown Estate seriously worth playing and not just a pet card?
I do think this is a Gaea's Cradle deck but I understand the cost concerns there.
I missed out, so, yeah. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
I'm normally not really a proponent of playing a lot of dork-creature bridge ramp in a deck like this, but man, the payoff for getting your commander out on 3 instead of 4 is absurd, and your commander will fix almost everything.

The other very nice thing about creatures is that you can sac them to draw cards. I really, really like that interaction.

With that in mind, plus that Gaea's Cradle / Deserted Temple will figure prominently, I will likely run a lot more dorks than I usually would in a lands deck.
Maybe about the dorks. I would rather lean on the 2mv land ramp spells, even the mediocre ones like Into the North and Rampant Growth since they can at least trigger Landfall in the mid and late game when the dorks might otherwise be completely useless. With Vale and the Caryatid, that's 14 ways to get 4 mana on turn 3 approximately 70% of the time accounting for needing 3 land drops. Statistical analysis isn't everything, but given how good TATGM is on turn 3, I think it's worth optimizing around that.

- Thespian's Stage
- Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
- World Shaper

+ Tangled Vale
+ Mana Confluence
+ Ilysian Caryatid

Also, Deserted Temple seems super winmore with Cradle in this deck, for what it's worth.

EDIT: Isn't Flagstones of Trokair a little unnecessary? We have an abundance of ways to produce white mana and sure, it's a great land to sacrifice, but I think City of Brass is a little more useful overall. Actually, maybe 44 lands is acceptable.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I do admit that sometimes I can be too cute for own good with my manabases, but I think you go too far here.
I'd go 4 forests/1 plains/1 swamp probably of +6 basics. Check out my Maelstrom Wanderer manabase--https://deckbox.org/sets/2899889

41 lands and 12 basics, total of 22 or so fetchable lands.

Obviously it's easier when you've got the abur duals but man being able to get basics a lot always feels so good.

With the full fetch package you will never struggle with Field of the Dead in a 3 color deck, even without ABUR duals.

---

I never understand why people need Mana Confluence in 3 color green decks. I never want to pay life for tapping my lands when I'm playin 3 fetches a turn. It's bad enough. I have never run confluence/city in 3c manabases with green and I never will :P

Cutting World Shaper feels just unutterably wrong. The ability for froggirl to just sac it the turn you cast is pure bananatown.

Flagstones of Trokair feels super good to me. It's solid fixing and feeds the graveyard etc. I think it's probably right to play.

duducrash
Still Learning

I would not cut Bojuka bog, specially with so many ways to tutor lands to the battlefield at instant speed. Its premium hate, cycling lands and recursion are always cute, it sucks to play etb tapped on curve but half of this deck is lands 🤔
I specially like the triome because it can be fetch with Flagstones, farseek, nature's lore and three visits

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I'd go 4 forests/1 plains/1 swamp probably of +6 basics. Check out my Maelstrom Wanderer manabase--https://deckbox.org/sets/2899889

41 lands and 12 basics, total of 22 or so fetchable lands.

Obviously it's easier when you've got the abur duals but man being able to get basics a lot always feels so good.

With the full fetch package you will never struggle with Field of the Dead in a 3 color deck, even without ABUR duals.

I never understand why people need Mana Confluence in 3 color green decks. I never want to pay life for tapping my lands when I'm playin 3 fetches a turn. It's bad enough. I have never run confluence/city in 3c manabases with green and I never will :P
Okay, fair enough. I can cut Confluence, City for a couple of forests.
Cutting World Shaper feels just unutterably wrong. The ability for froggirl to just sac it the turn you cast is pure bananatown.
Think of it this way: with World Shaper, you get your lands back and draw a card but requires your commander, and with Reclamation you get your lands back, period. We're already eking out a ton of value with the recursion spell, so I don't think adding on a cantrip is all that valuable. I think it's a bit greedy.
Flagstones of Trokair feels super good to me. It's solid fixing and feeds the graveyard etc. I think it's probably right to play.
I want to play 44 lands, and it feels like the weakest option. It's either that or Kor Haven, which could be a delightful combat trick with our instant speed land fetches.
duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
I would not cut Bojuka bog, specially with so many ways to tutor lands to the battlefield at instant speed. Its premium hate, cycling lands and recursion are always cute, it sucks to play etb tapped on curve but half of this deck is lands 🤔
I specially like the triome because it can be fetch with Flagstones, farseek, nature's lore and three visits
I agree. The way I see it, the cycling lands are primarily played tapped on turn 1 when you can untap and ramp on turn 2. Otherwise, they're just cantrips that can be recurred with Crucible or turned into a draw engine with Loam.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

So, into the north seems like its a poor choice and I will agree that its not all that, but the biggest thing to remember when doing a snow base is that you either do into the north and at min three of each basic snow land plus the three typed snow duals, or you need or rip it out and just do the visits, lore, farseek trio with one but not both of cultivate or kodamas. The reasoning is the statistical ability to actually make into the north work consistently. With 12 lands you're not as likely to do a dead card later on depending how your mana flowed in your draws and opening hand. I will admit that the three snow typed duals like Arctic Treeline should be counted alongside any other etbt lands for how fast a deck can be played.

Rampant growth is okay here but as your only playing three basics and three snow in the last list it also can be bad considering its basics only. Thats a bit too narrow for midrange or the middle part of the game. You have enough better cards than to be playing this.

I would recommend restarting the mana base with temple, godless, overgrown, windswept, verdant, marsh, Indatha Triome, Sandsteppe Citadel, Flagstones, and three of all the basics, then work the land base from there trying to avoid as many tap lands as possible. My only true land recommendation is Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx since the devotion to green is high enough to be a discount cradle. I personally feel you dont need to add ALL the fetch lands and prismatic since between Knight, Git, and your commander you have enough fetch packaging to get things going. This is opinion and personal playstyle though, not a hard and fast. I do like prismatic as long as you add more basics.

I would actually take out Exploration for Druid Class yes it way more expensive overall and not as efficient as a mana investment but the landfall life gain plus the ability to add more lands if you start a loop would be MUCH better for the deck than just dropping one more land even with the level up cost. Exploration only does one thing and while its something we want, a more flexible card that does more for the deck seems at least a try.

pokken

Exploration means turn 2 commander. It cannot be considered for a cut.

Burgeoning likewise should be played for that reason.

And it's why you want to play enough lands to see 4 in 8 with some regularity. And why I'll be on 50 lands lol :)

(My old gitrogdrazi deck had 54 lands and it was fine.)

--
My weird quirks aside I think goose is on the right path for him. But should never cut exploration.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Thats still optimum play, not average. Fair though since it does what it does. Would then recommend Druid for backup depending on deck space.

Honest opinion how much mana can this deck produce at any point? I was looking though the gatherer and found some interesting cards in the tyranid deck.
I think Termagant and Hormagaunt might be interesting as pest/defensive cards if the mana was decent as they are x spells.

I also found some interesting landfall cards.
The deck is having difficulties in finishers or at least it was at one point. Green, Ob and Hagra would soIve some issues and just be incidental kill. I would still pay mul daya and kruphix together.

pokken

Four lands on turn two with an exploration is probably something like..40% of the time you draw exploration with 44 lands. Definitely not magical Christmas land.

Although it is much worse with gooses tap land count to be fair :)

Courser has always been great for me. Squeaked out a lot of games

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”