Otrimi, the Ever-Playful (Let's Brew!)

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kavu Enthusiast » 4 years ago

This seems like a really weird situation to me:
Q: What happens if my mutated pile contains a Theros God but I don't have enough devotion to make it a creature?

A: It'll stop being a creature. If the God isn't at the top of the pile, you will have a permanent without a type.
It seems in the AMA they mention this was something that basically one other interaction could cause to occur. As far as I can surmise from my own understanding of the rules, if the permanent has no type and isn't a creature you can't attack with it. You also clearly couldn't mutate it further. Could be a nice trick to make it hard to remove on other people's turns if you had a way to reliably turn it on during your turn and off during opponents, otherwise seems like something to not do.

Seems like a pretty harsh non-bo and a good reason to not mutate a god into a pile anywhere. Then again with a deck like this the number of distinct permanent contribution to devotion is probably lower than average and they're rarely turn on to start.

Tags:

Couver
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

I suppose if you need the indestructible the Amonkhet gods are better for that since they are always creatures. Although then you get caught up in those gods' can't attack/block restrictions.

But Rhonas the Indomitable has an easy enough restriction to meet in an Otrimi deck. Bontu the Glorified maybe less so. Although she would provide a sac outlet on Otrimi and could then bring the creature sac'd back after damage. And both are low enough CMC that they might be worth running.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”