Gyruda, Doom of Depths Sushi: Commander or Companion?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

If you're not aware, Gyruda, Doom of Depths Clone Tribal is a thing, wherein you repeatedly reanimate clones and copy Gyruda until everyone is milled out. It's a fun - if janky - combo deck, and I was thinking of slapping together a copy to play as a gimmick deck every now and then.

I originally put together a Sakashima of a Thousand Faces/Tormod, the Desecrator list with Gyruda as the companion, because having your win condition and an enabler in the command zone is pretty powerful, and Tormod theoretically produces zombie tokens for Dread Return. However, the deck never played out right, and the even mana value thing was really limiting.

So, what do you think is the best version of this deck? Gyruda as commander, or as companion?

Right now I'm leaning towards Gyruda as commander. Being able to run the better reanimation cards like Reanimate, Necromancy, Corpse Dance, and Haunted Crossroads will likely make the deck a little more consistent, even if we're lacking in a way to get the ball rolling initially. My experience with the original build is that I would typically end up with a clone in hand regardless, so it's very likely you'll get a second turn to spin the roulette wheel.

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

Gyruda is best as a commander, but having played against krakenclone.dec, I don't think it's all that fun. IME it seems like you will either deck vomit or get blown out without much in between. Frankly, feast-or-famine decks rarely make for great experiences for the pilot or the table IMO. See Spell Lands Uber Belcher 2021 for reference.

You do you though.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 11 months ago

since it is not a super fun deck to lose to I would suggest trying to make it cEDH. You can ramp him out turn 2 or 3 and have all the free counterspells, a couple bounce effects to deal with Torpor Orb.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 11 months ago

I built this deck with Gyruda as companion then decided just a straight reanimator (still Gyruda companion but no clones) would be more fun.

Mostly popping by to say that Vohar, Vodalian Desecrator or Rona, Herald of Invasion // Rona, Tolarian Obliterator are potential options as generals.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

This deck is super pointless and a waste of everyone's time :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”