[Universes Beyond][Secret Lair] Important update.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

WotC have updated how they are going to handle "mechanically unique" cards in UB Secret lairs in the future (probably due to a lot of negative feedback regarding the Walking Dead secret lair).

Link

Here's the lowdown:

They are not going to stop making mechanically unique cards for universes beyond secret lairs, however, said mechanically unique cards will appear in an "MTG appropriate treatment" in regular magic product within approximately six months after the release of the secret lair (I.e. with MTG appropriate names and art), first on THE LIST, but eventually they may find themselves reprinted in other ways in standard magic products (as part of a set, a commander deck, etc.).

These "MTG versions" of the cards will be more common than other cards on THE LIST, to begin with, and will remain on the list for some time afterwards, basically as long as people still find them exciting to open.

They will *not* be going back and giving such a treatment to the Walking Dead cards.

TL;DR:

WotC will make future universe beyond secret lair cards available in an "MTG treatment" via THE LIST, approx, 6 months after the Secret Lair's release.

My thoughts:

Personally, I think this is a good solution that should alleviate some of the issues that people had with the Walking Dead secret lair.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

I'd add two impressions I got from trawling the announcement and responses on twitter. One is that they are very much considering reprints outside of the initial THE LIST printing optional, and that will likely depend on popularity of the card in question. Secondly, I got the impression that this is very much a test, and that is part of why they're not promising treatments for the Walking Dead right away. They want to make sure this works and satisfies people before they take the extra step (and work) of reconcepting those cards. So I wouldn't take the "not going back to retreat the Walking Dead" as a sign they'll *never* do it, just that they want to make sure this works for everyone first.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
I'd add two impressions I got from trawling the announcement and responses on twitter. One is that they are very much considering reprints outside of the initial THE LIST printing optional, and that will likely depend on popularity of the card in question. Secondly, I got the impression that this is very much a test, and that is part of why they're not promising treatments for the Walking Dead right away. They want to make sure this works and satisfies people before they take the extra step (and work) of reconcepting those cards. So I wouldn't take the "not going back to retreat the Walking Dead" as a sign they'll *never* do it, just that they want to make sure this works for everyone first.
Pretty much what I got from it as well, they said they didn't plan on going back and doing it, but that doesn't mean they won't do so in the future. And the announcement pretty explicitly said that they'll start with putting the functional reprints on THE LIST, but that they might put them in other easy to access products (such as sets and commander products, etc.) in the future, after they'd been on THE LIST.

All in all, this is a good compromise.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

One caveat is that the statement only says the drop-based mechanically unique cards will always get Ikoria-Godzilla-promo-card type equivalents. The mass retail LotR and WH40k sets will still have unique designs. (Which I am fine with personally.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
One caveat is that the statement only says the drop-based mechanically unique cards will always get Ikoria-Godzilla-promo-card type equivalents. The mass retail LotR and WH40k sets will still have unique designs. (Which I am fine with personally.)
Indeed, but peoples primary complaint was that those "drop-based" mechanically unique cards were not widely available, which gave some people a perceived advantage. This current change to how it works is likely a direct response to this criticism, although the cards would have different names on THE LIST, they'd be functionally identical, which would alleviate this problem.

The cards from the LotR, WH40k, and similar sets would be widely available, and thus would not have this issue. (And I do intend to get a box of the LotR stuff.)

Edit: Well, MaRo just confirmed that if the "experiment" turns out well, they might go and do MTGappropriate versions of the Walking Dead cards.
Maro wrote: etrowi asked:

Will the Walking Dead cards ever get alternate art/name versions like the Godzilla cards?

Possibly, depending on how the new system gets received.
Source.

and
Maro wrote: shadowstar91 asked:

Hey Mark! I just wanna say I was EXTREMELY happy and also disappointed by the SL update today. I like that the product is going to be made available longer and that there will also be 'canon' MtG versions of the the UB cards(at least the SL versions). But I'm also disappointed that it's not being extended to TWD. I don't like TWD, but I really want MtG versions of those cards to actually play with! While I understand some cards can't/won't get MtG versions, I still want as many as we can get.

Here's what was said earlier on Twitter:

"Implementing something similar to this with The Walking Dead isn't off the table in the future. We want to continue gathering feedback, listen to players, and see if that approach makes sense before diving in and making Magic-universe cards."
Source

The N82O Molecule
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The N82O Molecule » 2 years ago

anyone else reading this as

we are now going to make un cards in UB, and if you like them we will try to make a black border card.

and for funzies

me : Here's the way I see it, others. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
others : Yeah, makes a man feel good.
me : 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, others?
[chuckles until he sees that others is not laughing]
others : [impatiently] What's your point?
me : The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. they sneak into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your childs knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
others: But why do they say they are going to put a guarantee on the box?
me : Because they know all they sold ya was a piece of cardboard. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a "dump in a box" and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your collection's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

guarantee = the idea they are going to print "un cards" and if they gain traction they may or may not make some sort of possible equivalent card

"dump in a box" = me making some extra cool UB magic cards (lol)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The N82O Molecule wrote:
2 years ago
anyone else reading this as

we are now going to make un cards in UB, and if you like them we will try to make a black border card.
No, they were pretty explicit in their statement that they "MTG appropriate" versions of the unique UB Secret Lair cards would show up in Set Boosters after approximately six months.

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

I will point out yes this is the right step but far from the perfect solution

Some people are calling them out on the part that it takes 6 months to make the magic universe versions. (Aka it shouldn't take that long)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
2 years ago
I will point out yes this is the right step but far from the perfect solution

Some people are calling them out on the part that it takes 6 months to make the magic universe versions. (Aka it shouldn't take that long)
People should stop being stupid, they really have no idea how long it takes to get standard legal sets made. Basically, if they send stuff to the printers now, it won't come out for another six months. Some people believe that WotC create new product and get it out in less than a week. >.<

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”