[Assorted][Daily] SecretInfiltrator's SecretBase

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Card of the Day 2020-01-26 >

Momentuous Pangolith {1}{R}{G}
Creature – Elemental Pangolin (U)
Whenever ~ attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
At the beginning of your end step, if ~ didn't attack this turn, remove all +1/+1 counters from it.
Like a landslide, you either prevent it from getting into motion or pray you are not in its path.
3/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-01-27 >

Ambitious Water Carrier {1}{U}
Creature – Shapeshifter Peasant (U)
{U}, {T}: Look at the top card of your library. If it's a Noble creature card, you may exile ~ and put that card onto the battlefield. Otherwise, draw a card, then discard a card.
"Yes, my lord. I live to serve, my lord.", Kuasi stammered, all the while dreaming of the day they'd be the lord.
1/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-01-28 >

Flock Pegasus {W}
Creature – Pegasus (U)
Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)
You can't cast ~ unless you control another creature with flying.
1/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Lots of quality lately SI. What can I say except keep doing what you do?

I may pick out a few specific cards for praise and criticism later but the every-creature-type dailies have been on a hot streak for some time.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator

Thanks. I always appreciate feedback.

Card of the Day 2020-01-29 >

Prismatic Pentavite {2}
Artifact Creature – Pentavite (U)
Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)
{3}, Sacrifice ~: Add {W}{U}{B}{R}{G}.
1/1

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

The ramp looks too efficient for colorless. I think a casting cost of 3 as well so it doesn't so easily ramp you to 5 on turn three on it's own is a reasonable fix.

SecretInfiltrator

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
The ramp looks too efficient for colorless. I think a casting cost of 3 as well so it doesn't so easily ramp you to 5 on turn three on it's own is a reasonable fix.
I wanted to keep the aesthetics to pay a total of five mana. Would you consider 3 to cast and 2 to sacrifice less problematic. It's a further boost, but a turn later.

---

Card of the Day 2020-01-30 >

Bothersome Frump {1}{G}
Creature – Pest (U)
Vigilance
~ must block or be blocked if able.
Spells must target ~ if able.
0/5

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
I wanted to keep the aesthetics to pay a total of five mana. Would you consider 3 to cast and 2 to sacrifice less problematic. It's a further boost, but a turn later.
I think the aesthetics might just have to take a hit. 7 mana (with an option to drop up to a 4NNN) on turn 4 seems like it's still pretty nasty.

Bothersome Frump rules, though. I mean, I think that last ability is worded differently, but that version is easy enough to grok, and flagbearer rules text boxes look like word vomit.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-01-31 >

Ominous Phelddagrif {3}{U}
Creature – Phelddagrif (C)
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, each opponent may scry 3.
3/3

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Blue doesn't really get this kind of "I get a better cheaper creature but it somehow helps my opponents." Also a flying 3/3 for 4 at common is acceptable in blue. Its mildly pushed but it's been done before.

M00NSIDIAN

Yeah, this is too cautious. Compare Aven Reedstalker, Cloaked Siren. Even Phantom Monster has been printed at common in Masters sets.

SecretInfiltrator

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Phantom Monster at common is fine in Masters sets which are a source of many rarity shifts that only work because they are Masters sets with more above curve cards from across MtG history. A 3/3 flying at blue is basically the reference line for what you don't get at common anymore at that cost in a normal environment.

You get arguably better cards with flash etc. but that's the nature of the beast for "incomparables". It's also a little weird to argue whether this card is too weak by citing Phantom Monster, when you could use the same criticism against Triton Waverider and Vantress Paladin from the two most recent sets.

Power level is a broad road and I don't spend all my time in the fast lane.
user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Blue doesn't really get this kind of "I get a better cheaper creature but it somehow helps my opponents." Also a flying 3/3 for 4 at common is acceptable in blue. Its mildly pushed but it's been done before.
How can you imply to criticize this both for being a "cheaper creature" and for being not pushed enough because its acceptable? That's what I'm aiming for: A card that technically is cheaper for a drawback, but not so much cheaper that we wouldn't have seen it before in a high-powered environment.

This card being at exactly the "could have not the drawback if you want to push the power level" is exactly the point, because the question I want to ask with about how much worse Phantom Monster can be and still make the cut. I'd argue "a lot" since a Hill Giant/Giant Octopus can make the cut if you lack something at four mana.

What this is conceptually is a 3/3 for {3}{U} that gets a Phelddagrif trade: The creature gets something in-color, but the opponent also gets something in-color. Giving your creature flying but giving scry N, how big can N get before you'd rather have the Giant Octopus.

I'm really open to the discussion about N, but have a hard time figuring out how to make a convincing argument about it without actually having an environment to evaluate and probably also test this against.
tl;dr: I'm fine with a card not being "mildly pushed" if it instead does something relevant and interesting - even never done before but "in-tribe" and not color pie violating.

If Phantom Monster is your card of reference, know it was mine, too. Except I said "Okay, let's make something not as pushed as this." : )

---

Card of the Day 2020-02-01 >

Phoenix Egg {3}{R}
Creature – Phoenix Egg (R)
Defender (This creature can't attack.)
When ~ dies, create a 3/3 red Phoenix creature token with flying and "When this creature dies, return a Phoenix Egg card from your graveyard to your hand."
0/2

M00NSIDIAN

Fair. I think the "scry 3" is the thing that made it look really surprising, too. Or part of it...

Phoenix Egg is a neat take on two existing designs. Three, actually, because it also reminds me of Deathpact Angel a little (because it grabs a named card from your grave, of course). I'm surprised we haven't had a design a lot like this yet in the actual game.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-02 >

Unrelenting Crashed {2}{B}
Artifact Creature – Zombie Pilot (R)
{2}{B}, Discard a Vehicle card: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
{1}{B}, Discard ~: Return target Vehicle card from your graveyard to your hand.
Under the most unfortunate circumstances some pilots do become one with their machine.
3/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-03 >

Grindscape Pincher {4}
Creature – Pincher (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control an artifact, target player buries the top three cards of their library.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Unrelenting Crashed is cool but Phoenix Egg is pure genius.

Hey, I like Pinchers!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

M00NSIDIAN

Wow, I forgot Pinchers were a thing. I don't think I have any of the Stations anymore, which is sad because that was a fun set of cards and I should track them down again to run in my Hope of Ghirapur EDH.

Anyway, I like all the little shout-outs on this (2/2, non-artifact colorless creature, mills 3 if you control an artifact to mimic the effect of Grinding Station). It's a neat design. Would fit in a Modern Horizons 2 type of set, I think.

SecretInfiltrator

I'm happy that the Pincher and Phoenix Egg resonate well. Especially the Pincher is something you either get or you don't, but as long as those that get it react like you it seems worth it. : )
M00NSIDIAN wrote:
4 years ago
Phoenix Egg is a neat take on two existing designs. Three, actually, because it also reminds me of Deathpact Angel a little (because it grabs a named card from your grave, of course). I'm surprised we haven't had a design a lot like this yet in the actual game.
Fun fact: The current wording actually means "card that is both a Phoenix and an Egg" rather than "card named Phoenix Egg", so it's ready to be put into your Cube with Taurean Mauler, Nameless Inversion and/or Graveshifter. : D

Card of the Day 2020-02-04 >

Cutlass Dancer {2}{B}
Creature – Azra Pirate (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield, return up to one target Equipment card or Treasure card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Artifact recursion is maybe secondary at best in black but when there are nontoken Treasures running around presumably with sac abilities it feels black appropriate.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-05 >

Golden Tree {2}{G}
Creature – Plant (U)
~ is all colors.
Defender
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a Food token and a Treasure token.
0/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sure, that's good by me! Two things to crack plus the defender, that's just fine in Limited.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-06 >

Urabrask, Red Sun's Tender {3}{R}{R}{R}
Legendary Artifact Creature – Praetor (M)
Haste
{2}{R}, Exile an artifact or creature card from your graveyard: You may put an artifact or creature card from your graveyard or hand onto the battlefield until end of turn. If you do, it gains haste.
5/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

"Onto the battlefield until end of turn"? That's new templating. I get what it means, it's easily grokked as "EOT, put it back in the previous zone"; does it actually work, though? I guess there's precedent for "zone change until" with new-style prison enchantments (your On Thin Ices and friends).

SecretInfiltrator

I started out with putting the card into its owner's hand/graveyard no matter where you took it from, but didn't like the discrepancy in card advantage/disadvantage, so I recalled that we have this concise wording that always returns the card to the zone it came from and that's neat - also the special kind of weird that I like to put at mythic rare a little more than raw power.

---

Card of the Day 2020-02-07 >

Emblazoned Prismite {4}{U}
Artifact Creature – Prism Golem (R)
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, tap up to one target creature.
{W}{U}{B}{R}{G}: Scry 3.
4/4

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-08 >

Swarming Ghouls {4}{B}{B}
Creature – Zombie Processor (U)
When ~ attacks, exile a card from defending player's graveyard.
When ~ dies, you may bury three exiled cards your opponents own. If you do, create three 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens.
6/6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”