Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Seb Cain, The Imbued Wu
Legendary Creature — Human Vampire
Human creatures you control have protection from Vampire creatures.
Whenever another Human creature you control dies, draw a card.
2/2

Vibrant Youth WG
Creature — Human Nomad
Defender
Whenever Vibrant Youth dies, if it blocked this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control transformed.
0/2
//
Retribution
<White> Legendary Creature — Spirit Avatar
Provoke
When Retribution enters the battlefield, choose the name of creature an opponent controls that attacked this turn. Retribution has indestructible as long as an opponent controls a creature with the chosen name.
When there are no creatures with the chosen name on the battlefield, sacrifice Retribution.
4/1

Father Cal WR
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Damage that would be dealt to you is dealt to Father Cal instead.
Whenever Father Cal is dealt damage, he deals 3 target opponent.
3/1
Seb Cain, The Imbued 2WU
Legendary Creature — Human Vampire
Infiltrate (This creature can only be blocked by tapped creatures as though they were untapped.)
Humans you control have protection from Vampires and Zombies.
Whenever Seb or another nontoken Human you control dies, draw a card.
3/3

Vibrant Youth WG
Creature — Human Nomad
Defender
Whenever Vibrant Youth dies, if it blocked this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control transformed.
0/2
//
Retribution
<White> Legendary Creature — Spirit Avatar
Provoke
When Retribution enters the battlefield, choose the name of creature an opponent controls that attacked this turn. Retribution has indestructible as long as an opponent controls a creature with the chosen name.
When there are no creatures with the chosen name on the battlefield, sacrifice Retribution.
4/1

Father Cal WR
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Damage that would be dealt to you is dealt to Father Cal instead.
Whenever Father Cal is dealt damage, he deals 3 damage target opponent.
3/2
Last edited by Pygyzy 3 years ago, edited 14 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Seb Cain - Cool, one of those dhampir, Alucard sorts of guys. That first line can drop both instances of "creatures" - doesn't change almost anything and just looks cleaner. I think you can get away with giving Seb a draw trigger when he dies as well, but the "another" is also fine.

Retribution - I'm not sure why Vibrant Youth is green, nor why the transformed side loses a color; while this could all be monowhite, red seems like the more likely secondary color.

Father Cal - Cool, a combination-platter multicolor thing! This is mostly going to say "Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to you next turn. Father Cal deals 3 damage to target opponent", which is pretty fair for RW. Putting the likes of Shield of Kaldra on him could get... dumb... and he is cheap for a Pariah effect, but at least there's exile removal.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Pygyzy

Seb Cain — ok cool. I can never remember if it needs the creatures part or not. I was worried a little that him triggering off himself would make it a little too strong but that was what i wanted to do.

Vibrant Youth — Few reasons she's green: biggest one I think is that I wanted to show a transformation in belief. Green to me is the color of good. It's not always good but it shows I guess natural empathy. Losing green to be just white shows giving up that sorta natural empathy in favor of the purely white belief of Retribution. Green doesn't do that. I could make it red but I see it more based on justice than emotion.

Lesser reason: Green is the color of nomads for the set and even less so, it kinda reminded me of Saffi Eriksdotter

Cal — I wasn't sure which way to go. I thought 2/3 would be better but more abusable. It's already more of an "abuse me" card rather than a play fair so i figured I'll just give it a baseline value cuz if someone wants to abuse it they're gonna abuse it anyway. If it hit for 6 I'd be happy with that.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

These are real good. I have some tweaks to suggest.

Seb Cain probably ought to cost 1WU or 2WU. The card advantage is considerable. Inside Innistrad, protection from the start of the game from two major tribes will be backbreaking. White and black's reanimation threshold is usually CMC 2 or 3 when CMC applies at all, so being CMC 3 might be a feature: bump up the P/T to match and possibly give him vigilance, that seems fitting.

Cards that care about creatures including themselves dying, the current practice is to spell out their name. So: "Whenever Seb Cain or another Human you control dies, draw a card."

To make the card advantage slightly more constrained—humans create a lot of tokens—it might be good to say "nontoken": "Whenever Seb Cain or another nontoken Human you control dies, draw a card." (Seb will draw you a card if he dies but was a token, but that's fine.)

Retribution can provoke other creatures than its mark, but that's a feature to me, and it flavorfully works: "things are going to keep dying until that one dies." Same energy as Inevitable End. :D

"When there are no creatures with the chosen name on the battlefield, sacrifice Retribution." I can glitch out Retribution by naming a creature I also control. Maybe "When your opponents control no creatures with the chosen name, sacrifice Retribution"?

Father Cal's great. I suggest bumping his toughness up above 1 so he can survive more than one instance of damage. Go for 2/2.

Since he's a creature and not a sorcery spell (like void_nothing compares him to) people will want it to be possible to use him more than once. They can currently only do that by abusing him through indestructible, recursion, etc. Making him a 2/2 or even a 3/3 will let people see at least some use of him that isn't abuse. : )

Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
I can never remember if it needs the creatures part or not.
You may always refer to cards on the battlefield by just their subtypes. There's no way for a permanent to have a creature subtype without being a creature, anyway.

The exception is if you're concerned about tribal permanents but none of those are Human.

Cards from around 2009-2014 seem to sometimes use "subtype creature" even for cards on the battlefield (Advocate of the Beast, Diregraf Captain|DKA) but there doesn't seem to be any reason for that, and that seems to have gone away nowadays (Admiral Beckett Brass, River Heralds' Boon, Garrison Griffin).

Pygyzy

Made some changes

Seb- I used my sets version of the white evasion mechanic in place of vigilance. I lined it up more with Riders of Gavony since that was kinda the inspiration.
Retribution- I did notice the bug you mention, however, since it only transforms normally by dying during combat, you can't place a counter on a creature you control because you have to name a creature that attacked. I believe that covers that issue outside of it transforming some other way. And yes the provoke is meant to work like. I'm gonna kill everyone until I get to my goal. The concept is from I Spit on Your Grave
Cal - I think this should do

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”