Buffing up old Legends, take 2

chochky
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by chochky » 4 years ago

In an older thread I shared some ideas about printing cards that get better if you have one of the older, low powered or odd Legends in your deck. In this camp are also any newer but uncommonly played Legends.

I continue to have an unhealthy fascination with this (perhaps slightly silly) idea. Here's some new cards that attempt to push this concept forward.

Irini's Madness 4BBB
Sorcery
This spell costs 4 less to cast if you control a creature called Irini Sengir.
Any number of target opponents each discard a card at random. Then you create a 1/1 black Vampire creature token with lifelink for each enchantment card in graveyards.
The curse of vampirism drove the dwarven girl deep into the abyss of madness.

Bernatheen, Arcane Savant 2UU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Partner with Eron the Relentless.
Whenever another creature you control becomes tapped, draw a card.
6: Transform Bernatheen, Arcane Savant. Any player may activate this ability but only any time they could cast a sorcery.
He enchanted the pilferer Eron with the gift of immortality...
1/4
///
Bernatheen, Twisted by Sengir
(R) Legendary Creature - Werewolf Mutant
Whenever another creature you control becomes tapped, discard your hand, then draw two cards.
...and became damned by the accursed hand of Baron Sengir.
2/5

The following is a pair of new versions of the Homelands red rogue buddies. Each new version can be partnered with the old corresponding half of the duo - creating a different playstyle and opening up a different second color to the commander deck.

Joven, Partner in Crime 5R
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
Partner with Chandler.
3G, T: Put two +1/+1 counters on another target tapped Human. It gains hexproof until end of turn, and can't be blocked this turn by creatures with power 2 or less.
5/4

Chandler, Partner in Crime 2R
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
Partner with Joven.
1B, T: Put target artifact card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.
3/2

That's all for now. Feel free to post your own ideas on cards that could boost your favorite old school Legends!

Mimicvat
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

Man the old legends have some of the coolest art, totally love this idea.

Geyadrone Dihada 2WUB
Legendary Creature - Elder Demon
Partner with Dakkon Blackblade

Whenever a commander enters the battlefield, it fights ~.
When ~ dies, destroy all non-commander creatures. Then create X tapped Chasm tokens, where X is the number of lands you control. These tokens are lands with "Tap, Sacrifice Chasm: Add C"
5/5

Man I'd be pretty stoked to play this or some variation on it. Add lands for Dakkon so he's less of a giant vanilla beater for all of the mana, while doing it in a way that references the background lore of the characters.

Carth the Lion 2W
When this creature enters the battlefield, you may search your library, hand, graveyard, and command zone for a card named "Dakkon Blackblade" and put it onto the battlefield.
1/1

Carth summons Dakkon in the lore, so I've turned that into a way to get a one-off cast of Dakkon for what I'd consider to be a fair cost for him.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Ah yes "The Homelands Challenge"

Irini's Madness - While In generally a fan of these "call-out" cards, this one is too rigid for my taste. It's unplayable at 7 if you don't have Irini. Yes that's worst case but it could be feelbad. Also the enchantment connection is minor and not worth the payoff. I'd explore the green and white hate route, for something rather than enchantment. Castle Sengir is Grixis aligned blue is opposite green and red white so I could see some potential in that. Also I just love grixis. My take

Irini's Madness XBBB
Sorcery
Convocation of Blood — If you control Irini Sengir, this spell has vampire convoke.
Opponents discard X cards at random. Create X 1/1 black Vampire creature token with lifelink. Each opponent who discarded an enchantment loses X life.

Bernatheen — ok this I like. Good overall. Only real comment is turning into a werewolf only gives +1/+1? 2/5 doesn't feel like a werewolf. 3/4 looks better I think and it's still a small buff (since the wizards not that tough his wolf isn't that much either)

Joven and Chandler - By putting the 2 color transform before these, now I want these to transform too! Jovens ok. Giving a tapped human an evasion ability confused me at first. Feels like it should say attacking, but that's nit picky. I'd lower the cost.
Chandler — oooweee This is a love/hate card. Love it when you got it, hate it when your opponent does. This is printable but I'd flag it for power level concerns. Potentially warping and likely a multi format player, but nearly unplayable if it only said opponents yard. This is one of those cards that does everything or nothing unless you get it just right.

Since you mentioned Irini.

Irini. The Abomination BB
Legendary Creature — Phyrexian Dwarf (R)
Pair with Sengir, Guild Compleat
Blue, black, and red creature spells you cast cost less to cast.
2/2

Sengir, Guild Compleat 2B
Legendary Creature — Phyrexian Vampire
Flying
BB, T:Destroy target multicolor permanent. Put a +1/+1 counter on each Phyrexian you control.
, T: Sengir, Guild Compleat deal damage equal to it's power to target player and you draw that many cards.
His will was his own. The oil only strengthened his power. The fall of the guilds was inevitable. — Chronicles of New Ravnica, Vol. III
2/4

This would probably be my favorite card of all time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”