Legendary Werewolves: Tovolar and Skaharra

Scarman
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Scarman » 4 years ago

Tovolar the Silent {2}{R}{G}
Creature - Werewolf Shaman
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, Wolf and Werewolf creatures you control get +1/+1 until your next upkeep.
Whenever a Werewolf enters the battlefield under your control, you may transform it.
3/3

Past versions:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
03/04/2020
Tovolar the Silent {2}{R/G}{G}
Creature - Werewolf Shaman
Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to Tovolar the Silent and to nonlegendary Wolf and Werewolf creatures you control.
Whenever a Werewolf enters the battlefield under your control, you may transform it.
3/3

Skaharra, Seeker of Bloodlines {2}{R}{R}
Creature - Human Werewolf
First Strike
Whenever this creature enters the Battlefield or transforms into Skaharra, Seeker of Bloodlines, you may search your library for a nonlegendary Werewolf creature card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Skaharra, Seeker of Bloodlines.
2/2
//
Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines
Color Indicator: Red and Green
Whenever Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, deal 3 damage to that creature.
Whenever this creature transforms into Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines, you may put a nonlegendary Werewolf creature card from your hand onto the battlefield transformed under your control. It gains haste until end of turn.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines.
3/3

Past versions:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
03/04/2020
Skaharra, Seeker of Bloodlines {2}{R}{R/G}
Creature - Human Werewolf
First Strike
Whenever this creature enters the Battlefield or transforms into Skaharra, Seeker of Bloodlines, you may search your library for a nonlegendary Werewolf creature card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Skaharra, Seeker of Bloodlines.
2/2
//
Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines
Color Indicator: Red and Green
Whenever Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, deal 3 damage to that creature.
Whenever this creature transforms into Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines, you may put a nonlegendary Werewolf creature card from your hand onto the battlefield transformed under your control.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform Skaharra, Decimator of Bloodlines.
3/3
I wanted to design some Werewolf lord for casual play and commander, since Ulrich of the Krallenhorde doesn´t really feel that exciting to play with in my opinion.
Tovolar, which, according to the lore, never transforms back to human form and whose pack uses "a dark form of magic", makes fighting effects one-sided (outdated).
As for Skaharra, her fetching effect doesn´t probably fit in with the lore, since her Howlpack is described to be "tight-knit", but her being the head of "Innistrad's most vicious werewolf predators" is represented by her having first strike as a Human, and a (usually) better version of it when flipped.

Edit (03/05/2020): Added werewolf transformation clauses to Skaharra.
Edit (03/06/2020): Updated Tovolar and Skaharra.
Last edited by Scarman 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I'm glad you made alphas for the other howlpacks. One thing I will say from the outset is the hybrid plus regular colored mana thing is distracting here; just make them regular multicolor even though that's harder to cast.

Tovolar - I'm not so sure about actually putting a nontransforming Werewolf on Innistrad - I know in the lore Tovolar is said to never be seen in human form but that doesn't mean he actually never changes. Preventing noncombat damage is in-flavor for him, with his well-known hatred of mages, but doesn't really fit RG - red doesn't prevent damage and green basically just does Fog effects, which are combat damage only.

Skaharra - Cool! I like the firster-strike ability as an upgrade to first strike that isn't double strike, and the transform triggered abilities here work well.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

I think e. g. a green card with a red mana symbol in an activated ability in the text is a much more natural way to get that dual color identity than these weird mana costs.

I recall doing another trick where I made a monogreen Werewolf turn into a monored backface - such a trick could also work for one of these...
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Tovolar - I'm not so sure about actually putting a nontransforming Werewolf on Innistrad - I know in the lore Tovolar is said to never be seen in human form but that doesn't mean he actually never changes. Preventing noncombat damage is in-flavor for him, with his well-known hatred of mages, but doesn't really fit RG - red doesn't prevent damage and green basically just does Fog effects, which are combat damage only.
IDK. If you have a unique hook about a character, then you use it. If you want to make a non-unique legendary Werewolf, you make Ulrich. ; )
Tovolar getting the nontransforming distinction is just too unique of an idea not to represent in the card. Don't design against expectations! Especially with a transforming legendary already around the message is clear with Tovolar: We do this on purpose.
Skaharra - Cool! I like the firster-strike ability as an upgrade to first strike that isn't double strike, and the transform triggered abilities here work well.
Once again, IDK. I'd really like Skaharra to have the ability to transform by themself somehow. Just having an ability to trigger on transforming, but then not having the ability to transform is too much reliance on other cards to make this work in the first place.

Scarman

Post by Scarman » 4 years ago

Thank you for your replies!
I think I will change the costs of both cards to 2RG. I considered making Skaharra mono-red flipping into red/green, but I´m not yet convinced. I´m not too fond of giving them activated abilities, as that could make them more mana-intensive than intended, although a targeted Fog or even Blinding Fog effect on Tovolar is not out of the question. Other than that:

Tovolar - I don´t think it is wrong to go off-colour when the character lore allows for it, although the effect may be too uncompromising for it to be on a nonwhite card. After considering some options, I thought that I might replace the damage prevention with "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, Wolf and Werewolf creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn/until your next upkeep.", which could discourage opponents to cast spells to flip back the Werewolves.

Skaharra - I might consider her being able to transform on-attack, putting onto the battlefield a Werewolf transformed, tapped an attacking, but I´m not sure how it plays with the other werewolves. What I mean by that is that it may break the "rhythm" of the deck, although to attack at unusual times (on new moon) and in small packs is kind of Skaharra´s theme. Other than that, I can give the creature she puts onto the battlefield haste.

Let me hear your thoughts!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”