Colored Artifacts

Sorandu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sorandu » 4 years ago

Smoldering Catapult
Artifact [Rare]
, , Sacrifice a creature: Put a charge counter on Smoldering Catapult, then it deals 1 damage to any target.
, , Sacrifice a creature: Smoldering Catapult deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's toughness to any target. Activate this ability only if there are three or more charge counters on Smoldering Catapult.

Genesis Assembly
Artifact [Rare]
: Put a charge counter on Genesis Assembly.
, Remove three charge counters from Genesis Assembly: Search your library for a green creature card with power 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Staff of Eternal Majesty
Artifact [Rare]
Tap an untapped creature you control: Put a charge counter on Staff of Eternal Majesty.
, , Remove seven charge counters from Staff of Eternal Majesty: Destroy all creatures except for Advisors and Nobles.

Wand of Repulsion
Artifact [Rare]
Wand of Repulsion enters the battlefield with three charge counters on it.
At the beginning of your end step, remove a charge counter from Wand of Repulsion.
: Return target creature with power X or less to its owner's hand, where X is the number of charge counters on Wand of Repulsion.

Scripture of the Damned
Artifact [Rare]
, , Pay 1 life: Create a 1/1 black Warlock creature token.
, Sacrifice three Warlocks: You may put a Demon creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Thoughts:

Smoldering Catapult: Love it, it is simple yet powerful. Good rare.

Genesis Assembly: Well balanced, paying six mana to tutor up a low power creature seems right up green's alley. I like it.

Staff of Eternal Majesty: Allowing you to tap creatures to put counters on the artifact is, well, dangerous in one of the most prominent token generating colors. If you build your deck right, you are basically dropping a Day of Judgment that avoids some of your own creatures while wiping your opponents. I'd up the cost a little bit.

Wand of Repulsion: I feel this card wants to be an uncommon. Compared to the others so far it is very weak. At most you get to bounce three creatures, one per turn, with decreasing effect. Unless you have a way to put charge counters on it, not many people would play this card.

Scriptures of the Damned: Good card, the costs are balanced, and on its own you can drop a demon on turn five, if you drop this on turn 1. I like it.

All in all, white seems to powerful, blue seems to weak, the rest seem balanced and fun.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

I'm inclined to agree with [mention]Krishnath[/mention] 's assessments.

Overall an interesting set of ideas. :)
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

M00NSIDIAN
Pronoun: they / them

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

Wand of Repulsion is far too weak; I know Wizards has been weakening creature bounce a little in recent years, but this is slightly overkill. Maybe it would work better inside of a set, but this is being posted in a vacuum. Meanwhile, with the only charge cost being "tap an untapped creature you control," Staff of Eternal Majesty is simply too good -- or at least too easy to work with, then leaving you with access to a board wipe at any time provided you have 1W open. It's not quite Disk levels, but it's a little scary.

The rest are pretty great, though, with the catapult in particular being a good way to make a colored artifact feel like a colored artifact as opposed to an enchantment -- which has been one of the major concerns about introducing colored artifacts places where they're not merely flavorful (e.g. outside of Alara or New Phyrexia).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”