Speculation on Ikoria mechanics, Combine

mosskirin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by mosskirin » 4 years ago

So as Maro said on the announcement stream about Ikoria:
"...you get to play with monsters, and you get to make monsters. It's one of the craziest mechanics we've made in quite a while."
So one thing this could obviously be is the Meld/Host mechanic of Unstable come to black-bordered magic. Another mechanic I could see is this:

"Combine <Cost>" means "<Cost>: Attach this permanent to target creature you control, and it stops being a creature for as long as it's attached. Combine only as a sorcery."

This plays in the thematic space of Godzilla, other kaiju, Voltron, gattai super robots, etc. It's kinda like a mix between Bestow and Equipment, like the former but less threatened by removal blowouts and so you have more freedom to make massive, crazy creature combinations. Some simple exampes as to how the mechanic could work:

Floatsac Behemoth
4U
Creature - Mutant Leviathan (C)
Flying, Combine U
Attached creature gets flying and gains +3/+3.
3/3

Adrenaline Slasher
RR
Creature - Mutant Insect (U)
Double strike, Combine 1RR
Attached creature gets double strike and gains +1/+1.
1/1

Primordial Antecedent
1GG
Creature - Mutant Beast (R)
Combine 1GG
Whenever Primordial Antecedent or attached creature deals combat damage to a player, draw that many cards. Attached creature gains +2/+2.
2/2

I think this would really capture the feeling of "building your own monsters," like you're mashing together different Lego sets to come up with powerful combos.
Pauper Fanatic - The best format

I'm 28% Green - 24% Black - 21% Red - 15% White - 12% Blue

Return to “Custom Cards”