Get A Clue: Demur Detective, Unsubtle Blast, Cothyriz, and Spiritual Awakening

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Demur Detective
U
Creature - Spirit Soldier
Flash
When Demur Detective enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a permanent. If you do, draw a card.

Surprisingly reckless.

1/1
Unsubtle Blast
R
Instant
Deal 3 damage to target creature. It's controller investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"You know that had to come from somewhere."
-Aithen, Constable

Cothyriz, Sadistic Aristocrat
GB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard
Haste, Lifelink
Sacrifice a permanent: Cothyriz, Sadistic Aristocrat gets +1/+0 and Trample until end of turn.

"It merely must suffer..."
-Cothyriz

2/1
Spiritual Awakening
X
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Spiritual Awakening, sacrifice X permanents.
Create X 2/2 colorless Spirit creature tokens.

"Absolution comes in many forms."
-Maryhk, Street Preacher

Old Versions
Show
Hide
Demur Detective
U
Creature - Faerie Soldier
Flying
When Demur Detective enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a permanent. If you do, draw a card.

Surprisingly reckless.

1/1
Cothyriz, Sadistic Aristocrat
GB
Legendary Creature - Vampire Zombie Wizard
Haste, Lifelink
Sacrifice a permanent: Cothyriz, Sadistic Aristocrat gets +1/+0 and Trample until end of turn.

"It merely must suffer..."
-Cothyriz

2/1
Demur Detective
W
Creature - Human Soldier

Surprisingly reckless.

1/1
Thoughts
Show
Hide
Feels to me like I might be putting a little too much burn in uncommon between Unsubtle Blast and Retributive Lightning.

Additionally the power level on Cothyriz and Spiritual Awakening might be iffy, I keep going back and forth on upping the latter's cost...
Unsubtle Lightning owes inspiration to Thunderspell by [mention]SmashPortal[/mention].
Last edited by NUMBERS 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Demur Detectiive isnt really white. While any color can cantrip specifically asking to sacrifice permanents is strange. It's not even actually good being only a 1/1. While not every card has to be the best it can be when compared to a common that saw play this falls very short. Thraben Inspector. At a minimum this should go up to a 1/2, it could also go to a 2/1.

Cothyriz, how can a creature be both a Vampire and a zombie? If you have sculpted a world that allows this I would like to hear how it happens.

NUMBERS

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Demur Detectiive isnt really white. While any color can cantrip specifically asking to sacrifice permanents is strange. It's not even actually good being only a 1/1. While not every card has to be the best it can be when compared to a common that saw play this falls very short. Thraben Inspector. At a minimum this should go up to a 1/2, it could also go to a 2/1.

Cothyriz, how can a creature be both a Vampire and a zombie? If you have sculpted a world that allows this I would like to hear how it happens.
That's a very good point on Demur Detective. I'm thinking of a pretty significant rework on it to the following:
Demur Detective
U
Creature - Faerie Soldier
Flying

Surprisingly reckless.

1/1

And Cothyriz might be a bit of a flavor stretch on those types... though my initial thought was something along the lines of "vampire so obsessed with the inherent cruelty of their existence that death couldn't keep them" and maybe that needs to be reflected on the card. But in the interest of not making it overly busy that might have to be reflected on other cards.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Could make Cothyriz a Lich?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

NUMBERS

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Could make Cothyriz a Lich?

Dragonlover
My intent is for them was to be a Vampire Lich, which type wise means Vampire Zombie from my understanding. :)

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Having just checked Scryfall, you're right. Had a brain fart there, thought Lich was a type. Maybe have his phylactery as a card in the set as well?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

NUMBERS

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Having just checked Scryfall, you're right. Had a brain fart there, thought Lich was a type. Maybe have his phylactery as a card in the set as well?

Dragonlover
I definitely had to double check myself! That's a good idea, I think...

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

The new Demure Detective works fine within the colors and isn't so bad that no one would want to play it. The fact that you can sacrifice itself means at worst it is Draw a card.
And Cothyriz might be a bit of a flavor stretch on those types... though my initial thought was something along the lines of "vampire so obsessed with the inherent cruelty of their existence that death couldn't keep them"
So he was a vampire and then died but managed to come back. Are they still meaningfully a vampire? Because this is pure flavor you can think of it in world rather than mechanics; if a spell affected vampires would it still affect him? If they are a lich then I can understand having a phylactery makes them meaningfully undead even if not represented on the card. But does being a lich overwrite their general vampire characteristics that would be expected? This is a very strange type line because vampires are often seen as a form of undead. It's like seeing "Demon Devil", "Dragon Drake", or "Giant Cyclops" one is seen as a superior version of the other or at least mostly the same.

NUMBERS

[mention]user_938036[/mention] you've made a compelling case for simplicity. I'll cut Vampire I think. :)

e: Gave Demur Detective Flash instead of Flying.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”