Banding, Deathtouch, and Trample

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Ok, here's the situation:

I control Adventurers' Guildhouse, Rhonas the Indomitable, and Iwamori of the Open Fist. My opponent controls five 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens.

I attack with Rhonas and Iwamori and declare them to be in a band.

My opponent blocks the band with the five Zombie tokens.

My understanding is that I, as the active player and controller of the band, can choose that each of the five Zombies will assign two damage to Rhonas. And as the attacking player, I can choose Rhonas to assign one damage to each of the five Zombie tokens, and Iwamori to assign five damage to the defending player.

Is this correct?
Can I force blocking creatures to over-assign damage to one member of a band in order to spare all other members of the band?
And, if one member of a band has trample, can I use other members to assign lethal damage (via deathtouch or otherwise) to the blockers, in order to allow all of the trampler's damage to go through?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 years ago
1) Yes. Since Rhonas has Deathtouch, only one damage is needed to be lethal to each token

2) Yes. As the person controlling the Band, you choose how damage is assigned to the creatures in the band rather than the blocking player. So you can make all 5 zombies assign their damage to Rhonas in order to save Iwamori so neither creature dies.

3) This isn't really a Banding question as the answer is the same as it would be if the defending player controller Brave the Sands or something. When assigning damage from a trample creature you get to take into account damage already marked on the blocker as well as any damage concurrently being assigned. So, yes, you basically can assign all the non-trample damage first and the Trampler sees that and you can then just assign the trample damage to the player as long as all blockers have been assigned lethal damage from other sources. Or, if you need the trampler to assign some damage, you can do that to fulfill the lethal damage requirement and trample over for the rest.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

1) Yes. Since Rhonas has Deathtouch, only one damage is needed to be lethal to each token

2) Yes. As the person controlling the Band, you choose how damage is assigned to the creatures in the band rather than the blocking player. So you can make all 5 zombies assign their damage to Rhonas in order to save Iwamori so neither creature dies.

3) This isn't really a Banding question as the answer is the same as it would be if the defending player controller Brave the Sands or something. When assigning damage from a trample creature you get to take into account damage already marked on the blocker as well as any damage concurrently being assigned. So, yes, you basically can assign all the non-trample damage first and the Trampler sees that and you can then just assign the trample damage to the player as long as all blockers have been assigned lethal damage from other sources. Or, if you need the trampler to assign some damage, you can do that to fulfill the lethal damage requirement and trample over for the rest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”