Lethal Damage + Damage Mirrors

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

eye for an eye|me4
blightsteel colossus|2xm

Am I correct in reading the oracle text on Eye for an Eye, that if someone were attacking me with a Blightsteel and I'm about to lose, I can use this to simultaneously make them take the same infect damage? It's old wording is unclear and suggests it sets up some kind of delayed trigger.

TIA!

Accepted Answer

by tstorm823 » 3 years ago
Eye for an Eye does not set up any sort of trigger at all, rather it creates a replacement effect for the next time the chosen source deals damage to you. That replacement effect makes both players receive damage simultaneously, so you would both take the damage before you die.

However, Blightsteel Colossus would not be dealing damage to them, Eye for an Eye deals the damage to the other player, and Eye for an Eye does not have infect. So you would take 11 infect, and they would take 11 regular damage.
Go to full post

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

Eye for an Eye does not set up any sort of trigger at all, rather it creates a replacement effect for the next time the chosen source deals damage to you. That replacement effect makes both players receive damage simultaneously, so you would both take the damage before you die.

However, Blightsteel Colossus would not be dealing damage to them, Eye for an Eye deals the damage to the other player, and Eye for an Eye does not have infect. So you would take 11 infect, and they would take 11 regular damage.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago

Old wording is so convoluted at times. Well drat, there goes my old school answer for a new age threat.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”