Merieke's untap vs Sword of X and Y

ChazA4
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ChazA4 » 3 years ago

So, as always, I'm trying to figure out ways to make my EDH/Commander decks work in diverse ways, and a thought occurred to me to try using Merieke Ri Berit while utilizing the 'Swords of'(for these purposes, let's say BaM).

Question is, if I utilize Merieke to steal a creature, equip that creature with BaM or any other such sword in that line, and then untap Merieke, does the trigger kill the creature? I know the whole 'Protection stops DEBT(Damage, Enchantment, Blocking, Targeting)', which thanks to Merieke's wording leaves me unsure. Is the trigger coming from Merieke, and thus targeting, or is it not?

Accepted Answer

by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago
Merieke Ri Berit targets the creature when it activates, but after that, the effect doesn't Damage, Enchant/Equip, Block, or Target again. Thus, as long as the creature didn't have protection to stop the original targeting, gaining protection later won't stop Merieke's effect. You'll continue to control it, and when Merieke untaps or leaves play, the creature will be destroyed.

Specifically to the point: Protection does not stop "destroy" effects.
Go to full post

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Merieke Ri Berit targets the creature when it activates, but after that, the effect doesn't Damage, Enchant/Equip, Block, or Target again. Thus, as long as the creature didn't have protection to stop the original targeting, gaining protection later won't stop Merieke's effect. You'll continue to control it, and when Merieke untaps or leaves play, the creature will be destroyed.

Specifically to the point: Protection does not stop "destroy" effects.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

ChazA4

Post by ChazA4 » 3 years ago

Well, s***. There goes another otherwise good idea. Thanks again!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”