Kamahl and Ravos: Landlords

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

God made dirt and dirt don't hurt.
- Traditional saying

As of 2/19/23 and the spoiling of Thalia and The Gitrog Monster this deck is deprecated. Still, it's an interesting build and I love the name, so I'm posting it for posterity.

Landlords
Approximate Total Cost:

Commander

Kamahl, Heart of Krosa is the real deal. An Overrun in the command zone provides a lot of inevitability and pressure, particularly when combined with a go-wide strategy. Ravos, Soultender puts us in Abzan, is a minor anthem, and in a pinch can recur something like Azusa, Lost but Seeking like a bad Karador, Ghost Chieftain. He ain't great, but he does honest work.

Land

45 is a lot, but this is a Lands deck, after all. I'm not sure about the duals that enter tapped like Haunted Mire, though. This deck can recur fetches very consistently multiple times per turn so running out of targets can be a legitimate problem. That said, entering tapped sucks. Speaking of tapped lands, I've got the cycling lands from Onslaught in to combo with Life from the Loam or just cantrip away. Other than that it's a pretty standard manabase.

Ramp

Well, we're not ramping into anything in particular, but the deck generally wants to vomit out lands, so I've included the classic two mana value land ramp cards as well as a few bigger ramp spells like Skyshroud Claim. Occasionally you'll live the dream of a turn two Rampant Growth into turn three Hunting Wilds, but even then you don't have much you can explode into. Still, two lands into play are two Landfall triggers, so I think it'll be okay.

Land Drop

The other half of the ramp equation for this deck. If you have adequate card draw or a Crucible of Worlds clone and a fetch in your graveyard, you can start to do some pretty obscene things. Four Landfall triggers starting with eight Scute Swarm in play? 136 bugs, please.

Recursion

I heard fetches and Crucible of Worlds are a great way to trigger Landfall. Once and Future is an awkward card advantage slot, but since the deck is so heavily green it's almost always an instant speed Restock.

Spot Removal

This isn't exactly a control deck, but it does benefit from delaying the game since it has a lot of inevitability. They're all instant speed, so it's best to use them only when absolutely necessary and at the last second.

Board Wipe

Being in black and white gives us access to the best board wipes, and as above, slowing the game down tends to help us. Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is pretty great here. Shocker.

Draw

I'm not at all satisfied here. Considering Ravos only generates mediocre card advantage in the command zone, I fear I'm running too few ways to dig and am likely to run out of gas. Even with the Horizon Canopy lands and Crucible I sincerely doubt I'm where I need to be, That said, it's not like I have a lot of options. Necropotence and Ad Nauseam are just too much, Read the Bones is underrated, but I would need a higher density of draw effects to make the smaller draw spells all worth it.

Tutor

If you're on this forum I sincerely doubt I need to explain these cards.

Protection

Inkshield is hilarious with Kamahl. The rest are just great cards to protect your board and kill people on the crack back. That said, since the primary win conditions are difficult to interact with at instant speed, maybe I could pare these back for some more card draw.

Win Condition

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition a Rude Awakening! I just love beating people to death with an army of lands. They're not exactly the fairest win cons since you need to be able to counter them or have a horde of blockers to deal with them, but Jesus, who can complain about losing to Sylvan Awakening?

Anyway, that's it. That's the deck. That I will never play for real. RIP

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”