The DCC - February 5th, 2023

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

DCC Scoreboard

emily 13 (+3)
folding_music 8 (+3)
Riria 7 (+0)
RattingRots 7 (+2)
Venedrex 7 (+6)
netn10 6 (+0)
bravelion83 6 (+2)
wizyard 5
void_nothing 4 (+1)
Surging Chaos 2
Rithaniel 2
marioguy3 2 (+0)
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: RattingRots, Venedrex
HMs
Show
Hide
I'm very happy with the high participation, but with this many cards, I just have to resort to details as the tiebreaker.

marioguy3 - The infamous "its" vs. "it's" mistake strikes again.

netn10 - It should be "becomes crewed", not "is crewed".

folding_music - I believe this card should be white instead of blue. Most often you will return your own artifacts and enchantments (possibly Equipment and Auras), and that's definitely white. Also, "if you paid the kicker cost" should be "if this spell was kicked".

Riria - It's probably necessary for clarity, but I really don't like how that "any two creatures" reads to me. It feels like that "any" shouldn't be there. I mean, it's absolutely correct in English, it just feels strange to me on a Magic card. Would "if two or more creatures you control share a card type" work?

emily - Here sunburst just doesn't do what I think you want it to do. Check rule 702.44:
CR (BRO) wrote:702.44a Sunburst is a static ability that functions as an object is entering the battlefield. "Sunburst" means "If this object is entering the battlefield as a creature, ignoring any type-changing effects that would affect it, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it. Otherwise, it enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it."
This is entering as a noncreature artifact, so it would get charge counters and not +1/+1 counters. You need to either assume a change to the CR or use converge instead and spell it out like this:
Converge — CARDNAME enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.
I'd probably have just used converge instead of sunburst. This is one of the very few cases where there is a meaningful difference.
Mindful Cleansing 2WU
Sorcery (R)
Choose a card type, then exile all cards from all graveyards. Each player draws cards equal to the number of cards they own of the chosen type exiled this way. (Artifact, battle, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal are card types.)
"Erase all the memories, they'd only bring us pain."
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: emily, Venedrex

It's About to be its Downfall
Instant (Rare)
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. If it's red, you may discard a card, then draw a card.
Destroy up to one target creature if its power is 3 or less.
folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
votes: void_nothing, Venedrex

Scar Tapestry
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Perfect fit -- Enchant creature with mana value 4
Enrage -- Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage, add . You don't lose this mana as combat steps end. The next Aura spell you cast this turn may be cast as though it had flash.
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: bravelion83, folding, music

For Mirrodin! RW
Instant (Uncommon)
Choose target equipment you control. Create a 2/2 red Rebel creature token, and attach that Equipment to it.
"The blade know its purpose, may your heart match the blade's resolve."
- Jor Kadeen
Riria wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: folding_music, Venedrex
bravelion
Show
Hide
Two or more definitely works, mb haha
Runeterran Tower 3
Artifact Creature - Construct (R)
Defender
Whenever another creature you control blocks, Runeterran Tower deals 2 damage to each creature blocked by it.
Runeterran Tower blocks if able if you control no other creatures.
0/5
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: bravelion83, emily

Purpletail Eft 2B
Creature - Salamander Beast (C)
Mountainwalk
Whenever Purpletail Eft attacks, if defending player controls an Island, any number of target attacking creatures you control get +1/-1 until end of turn.
2/2
Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: folding_music, emily

Kazsim Wanderer
Creature - Elder Knight U
When Kazsim Wanderer leaves the battlefield, exile target creature until a creature named Kazsim Wanderer enters the battlefield.
: Return Kazsim Wanderer from a graveyard to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control. Any player may activate this ability.
"Most things you see here are not of your world. They are remnants of mine."
—Kzazzasa, the Forgotten

3/1
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Votes: marioguy3, void_nothing

Enraged Ainok 1RR
Creature — Dog Warrior (R)
Haste
When Enraged Ainok enters the battlefield or at the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.
Whenever you cast a spell from exile, Enraged Ainok gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
2/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Votes: folding_music, Rithaniel

Furnace of Smog
Enchantment (Rare)
Whenever a mountain is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile it. When you do, target creature you control gains "If this creature would deal damage to a player, double that damage instead."
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

votes void_nothing, Rithaniel

Clogged Stream
Land (R)
(: Add , , or .)
Clogged Steam enters the battlefield tapped unless you exile a card from your hand.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

votes: Rithaniel, Riria

Soltari Glancer 2w
Creature - Soltari Scout (U)
Shadow
: Each player reveals a card from their sideboard at random. Soltari Glancer gains first strike and gets +2/+0 until end of turn for each noncreature card revealed this way. Activate this ability only once each turn.
The new sky goddess's light refracted strangely through the intangible creatures of Rath, subjecting her realm to an unwanted taste of her telepathic nature.
2/2

the purple calls out to be used

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

One day I'll find a way to do this without being broken.

Anticipate 1U
Instant (Uncommon)
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
// Commit (You may have this card in your starting deck only if it also has 4 Anticipates and 4 Shocks.) //
Shock R
Instant (Uncommon)
Shock deals 2 damage to any target.

Riria

Post by Riria » 1 year ago

Research Team 3UU
Sorcery (R)
Scry X, where X is the number of Wizards you control, then draw 3 cards.
"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. Unless I'm paying his salary; then he better be early."

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Votes: bravelion83, void_nothing

Qyalanaan Prerogative
Enchantment R
You may pay rather than pay the mana costs for instant spells that you cast.
You may pay rather than pay the mana costs for sorcery spells that you cast.
You may pay rather than pay the mana costs for enchantment spells that you cast.
"No one can create perfection, but we never stop trying."
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, Rithaniel

Derealize 2C
Instant (C)
Exile target creature. That creature's controller creates a token that's a copy of that creature.
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Votes: netn10, Rithaniel

Splitting Brushwagg 2GG
Creature - Brushwagg (R)
Trample
T: Until end of turn, another target creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
1G, T: Create a token that's a copy of Splitting Brushwagg.
2/6
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”