NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Disconnect -- 1U
Instant
Remove all targets of target spell. If the spell has effects that don't require targets, those effects still happen.
If I Win: Static mana, or mana static

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Will judge this evening.
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Phone a Friend 3U
Instant (U)
A person outside the game looks at the top four cards of your library. They put two into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order. (They can't show you the other cards or tell you what they were.)

(i know the name is taken i'm just ignoring that.)

IIW: elden ring

Megiddo
MEG

Hello?
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Wiretap Device UB
Artifact (U)
You may look at cards players scry.
T, Pay 1 life: In the order you choose, each player scries 1.

IIW: Chess
Well, I'm somewhat surprised something like this doesn't exist yet. I'm going to suggest that this is because it's a bit physically fiddly (even on digital i'm going to guess it adds a click) and easy to miss when it comes up. Nothing crazy. Anyway, not bad.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Conference Call
1{U}
Sorcery (C)
Each player reveals their hand, then draws a card (the drawn card is not revealed).

IIW: Card that skirts or references the Reserved List
I have to just compare this to Peek and say... "why?" I like the flavor though. How many times have I heard in a meeting "cards on the table" ...
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Dialtone 3UU
Instant
End the turn.
Flashback 7UU
"Are you sure you have the right number?"

IIW: Cephalids
On the other hand, here's a card that needs a couple more mana added to it somewhere. Playing against this would be about as frustrating as trying to call in a busy line for tickets or something, so you get flavor points.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Call the Boss 2GG
Sorcery (M)
Search your library for a legendary creature card and exile it face down, then shuffle your library. At the beginning of your next upkeep, put the exiled creature onto the battlefield.
"You're not gonna believe this, Mister Jetmir sir!"

IIW: Legendary auras and equipment
Nice. Delaying by a turn helps this effect a lot. You can still get free Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and whatnot, so maybe it's too good. But if I think about it from an eternal-only standpoint... I think it would be fun.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Inspired by mergatroid's
Show
Hide
Call An Expert 3UG
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for a creature card with mana value 6 or less, exile it face down, then shuffle. An opponent calls Pest Control or Monster Wrangler, then reveal the card. If its mana value is 5 or greater and the opponent called Pest Control, put it in the battlefield. If its mana value is 2 or less and the opponent called Monster Wrangel, put it in the battlefield and create two token copies of it. Put it in your hand otherwise.
This card really tickles me, actually. Guessing games, tutoring, copying... This card does it all. It's 9 lines of text, so I'd like to see if there's a way to shorten it, but I think this would be a great time to cast. For you, obviously. The opponent will probably not have so much fun.
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Disconnect -- 1U
Instant
Remove all targets of target spell. If the spell has effects that don't require targets, those effects still happen.
If I Win: Static mana, or mana static
So this "fizzles" a spell, then? I think the rules will prevent the second sentence of your ability (though, Mark Rosewater would prefer your approach here). Anyway, this is a fairly limited effect, and usually gets a "draw a card" kicker or similar.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Phone a Friend 3U
Instant (U)
A person outside the game looks at the top four cards of your library. They put two into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order. (They can't show you the other cards or tell you what they were.)

I was thinking about "Phone a Friend" earlier when pondering this challenge and also remembered the existing version. Anyway, I think this is a fun acorn. The person outside the game would be able to review the gamestate and make choices to "help" you effectively.

Winner: I'll be nice and give it to Juancu for the Call an Expert despite not including an IIW.
Next: Chess
MEG

OneAndOnly

@Megiddo -- That's pretty much the intent of the spell, yes. It's one of those things that comes up so often I'm surprised it hasn't been done. And yes, it lets one gets the "rider" effect on many spells (drawing a card, scrying, investigating, mechanic-of-the-set, etc.)
Promote the Pawns -- 2(W/B)(W/B)
Sorcery
Each 1/1 creature you control has base power and toughness 4/4. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
If I Win: More things that turn 1/1s into 4/4s.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

En Passant U
Sorcery (U)
Target creature can't be blocked until end of turn. Then if that creature has base power and toughness 1, return En Passant to its owner's hand.

IIW: Cursed antiques

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

White Pawn W
Creature- Human Soldier (C)
Whenever White Pawn Attacks, put a advancement counter on it.
Remove five advancement counters from White Pawn and sacrifice it: Search your library for a creature named White Queen and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
2/1

(Black Pawn is identical.)

White Queen 3WW
Creature- Human Noble Warrior(R)
First strike, vigilance, lifelink, protection from black
5/5

Black Queen 3BB
Creature- Human Noble Warrior (R)
First strike, deathtouch, lifelink, protection from white
5/5

And of course it's all just an excuse to use Black Knight/White Knight

IIW: ________ is a popular character. Let's make them the new face of Magic!

Megiddo
MEG

Blunder 1UU
Instant {U}
Blunder costs 1UU less to cast if it targets a spell that no mana was spent to cast.
Counter target spell.

IIW: audience with the king
MEG

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

5-6 hours should be appropriate.

Mergatroid_Jones

Pinned
Enchantment- Aura (C)
When enchanted creature attacks or blocks, its controller sacrifices another creature. If they can't, they lose 3 life and you draw a card.

IIW: Mutate

Juancu

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Promote the Pawns -- 2(W/B)(W/B)
Sorcery
Each 1/1 creature you control has base power and toughness 4/4. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
Cool build around. The only problem I see is that in a deck with many 1/1s, it could get confusing which had changed and which didn't (memory issues.) Is not that big of a problem (usually, you'd keep them in order, and the transformation is big enough that it's memorable.) The alternative would be making an enchantment, but the sorcery fits the action better. I though a bit on how to reconcile, and the best I could come up with was an enchantment that put three +1/+1 counters on 1/1s at the beginning of combat.
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
En Passant U
Sorcery (U)
Target creature can't be blocked until end of turn. Then if that creature has base power and toughness 1, return En Passant to its owner's hand.
Cool concept to build around, but I feel like you did the opposite! Capturing en passant feels like a surprise block, or punishing a rushed move.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
White Pawn W
Creature- Human Soldier (C)
Whenever White Pawn Attacks, put a advancement counter on it.
Remove five advancement counters from White Pawn and sacrifice it: Search your library for a creature named White Queen and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
2/1

White Queen 3WW
Creature- Human Noble Warrior(R)
First strike, vigilance, lifelink, protection from black
5/5

Black Queen 3BB
Creature- Human Noble Warrior (R)
First strike, deathtouch, lifelink, protection from white
5/5
A cool straightforward mechanic implementation, good job.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Blunder 1UU
Instant {U}
Blunder costs 1UU less to cast if it targets a spell that no mana was spent to cast.
Counter target spell.
This feels like a card that could exist (I don't want to google, but I think there's something similar already.) On the flavor interpretation, I think nullifying something doesn't fit the concept of a blunder exactly. Counterspells are a zero sum game, finding a blunder usually leaves you ahead. 'Draw a card' extra somewhere could be the ticket.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Pinned
Enchantment- Aura (C)
When enchanted creature attacks or blocks, its controller sacrifices another creature. If they can't, they lose 3 life and you draw a card.
A worse pacifism that could be cast for BB. I really like it, and I think it's the best flavor interpretation here. It could probably cost since it's a worse pacifism.

Winner: Mergatroid_Jones
Next: Mutate

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Volatile Badger RG
Creature — Badger (U)
Mutate 2RG (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
————
Trample
Whenever this creature mutates, double its power and toughness until end of turn.
1/1

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Pokemon TCG, anyone?

Spore-Fragrance Nepenthes
[Erika's Victreebel]
1{B}{G}{U}
Creature - Plant (R)
Mutate {U}
Spore-Fragrance Nepenthes can only mutate over a creature.
Whenever this creature mutates, return another target creature to its owner's hand. When you do, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
4/4
The potent fragrance is repellent to some, irresistible to others.

IIW: Creature with a color in its name
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu

Chimera Ant 1G
Creature - Insect (U)
When Chimera Ant dies, exile it. For each non-Insect card exiled this way, you may cast it as a mutating spell for as long as it's exiled. If it's a creature card without mutate, it gains mutate with cost equal to its mana cost.
Mutate 1UG
3/2

IIW: from your job

Megiddo
MEG

@Mergatroid_Jones judge? this storm scale 7 mechanic doesn't seem that popular
MEG

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Elemental Core
Creature - Elemental (M)
Mutate 2R
Elemental Core can only mutate underneath creatures.
Haste
Whenever Elemental Core attacks, it deals 3 damage to any target.
0/0

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Megiddo
MEG

Warping Salamander 1UR
Creature — Elemental Lizard {U}
Mutate
Flash
Whenever this creature mutates, switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
1/5

IIW: birds or squirrels
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Yep yep yep, here I go

Mergatroid_Jones

SPOILER
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Volatile Badger RG
Creature — Badger (U)
Mutate 2RG (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
————
Trample
Whenever this creature mutates, double its power and toughness until end of turn.
1/1

The trouble here is that there's no real reason to play this without mutating, as a 1/1 trample for RG is pretty miserable. I wish this had flash, since it's essentially Berserk.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Pokemon TCG, anyone?

Spore-Fragrance Nepenthes
[Erika's Victreebel]
1{B}{G}{U}
Creature - Plant (R)
Mutate {U}
Spore-Fragrance Nepenthes can only mutate over a creature.
Whenever this creature mutates, return another target creature to its owner's hand. When you do, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
4/4
The potent fragrance is repellent to some, irresistible to others.

IIW: Creature with a color in its name
It can only mutate on top because it's a final evolution I suppose. However that does close off some of mutate's utility. Unsummon plus Raise Dead is a pretty neat little package. I wish it were less vanilla at 1BGU, since it's just a 4/4.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Chimera Ant 1G
Creature - Insect (U)
When Chimera Ant dies, exile it. For each non-Insect card exiled this way, you may cast it as a mutating spell for as long as it's exiled. If it's a creature card without mutate, it gains mutate with cost equal to its mana cost.
Mutate 1UG
3/2

IIW: from your job
Now we're talking! I don't love the world of pushed stats we're moving into, and I must say I'm a bit annoyed that it's a 3/2 for 1G with a quite relevant upside. But thems the times we live in. Having those good stats means that it's fine to hard cast it, and the cool ability means that it does extra fun stuff. This is the kinda thing I was looking for.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Elemental Core
Creature - Elemental (M)
Mutate 2R
Elemental Core can only mutate underneath creatures.
Haste
Whenever Elemental Core attacks, it deals 3 damage to any target.
0/0

Very cool. You can't hardcast it, and it has to go on bottom. It's actually a little more like the augment half of host+augment. Adding haste and a lightning bolt on attack is pretty relevant.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Warping Salamander 1UR
Creature — Elemental Lizard {U}
Mutate
Flash
Whenever this creature mutates, switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
1/5

IIW: birds or squirrels
Simple execution, but very complex on the math in the moment. There are lots of options here, and a 1/5 flash isn't terrible for 1UR. It plays a bit like ninjutsu or bloodrush.

Winner and next
Show
Hide

I thought mutate was a really interesting mechanic when it was first spoiled, but as Ikoria came out, I didn't love it. I thought they could have done a lot more with this strange mechanic. Essentially they are modal creatures, and I felt they put too much emphasis on the "when this creature mutates" bit.

Anyway, I'm giving it to the most interesting use of the mechanic, which oddly isn't even as a modal creature.

HM: Juancu for the ant
Winner: Ulka for the inner elemental

Next: Cephalids

OneAndOnly

Throbbing Mindmantle -- 2UU
Creature - Cephalid {R}
Whenever a creature dies, its controller can't cast spells with the same mana value this turn.
"Their eyes glint from the deep. Not sweet, hypnotizin' eyes like the mer-maids. No, their eyes are dark and menacing, full of an alien intelligence." -- Fisher Feerm, trawl captain
4/4
If I Win: Something more to give
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mergatroid_Jones

Master of Molluscs 4U
Creature- Cephalid (R)
Flash
Squid, Octopus, and Cephalid spells you cast cost 2 less to cast and have flash.
When Master of Molluscs enters the battlefield, create a 1/8 blue Octopus creature token with defender.
1/2

IIW: A lord for multiple types

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Cephalopod Invoker
2{U}
Creature - Cephalid Wizard (C)
8: Until end of turn, Cephalopod Invoker becomes an Octopus with base power and toughness 8/8.
2/2

Cephalid Heretic
{U}{B}
Creature - Cephalid Rogue (R)
Whenever Cephalid Heretic attacks, defending player reveals a card at random from their hand.
{U}{B}, T, Sacrifice Cephalid Heretic: Choose a nonland card name. Target player reveals their hand and discards all cards with that name.
2/2
His was the greatest betrayal of all cephalid values...his crime was honesty.

Espionage Elite
1{U}{B}
Creature - Cephalid Rogue (U)
Menace
Whenever another Cephalid enters the battlefield under your control, that creature connives.
2/3

Suction-Cups Cephalid
2{U}{U}
Creature - Cephalid Wizard (U)
Suction-Cups Cephalid can't be returned from the battlefield to a player's hand.
{T}: Tap target creature. Until end of turn, that creature can't be returned from the battlefield to a player's hand.
2/4
He'll stick it to ya.

Confessor of Tentacles
4{W}
Creature - Cephalid Cleric (C)
Extort
Enchantments you control have extort.
3/5
Confession comes with a price.

IIW: A creature with a color in its name.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu

Psionic Disruptor 1UU
Creature - Cephalid Wizard (U)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, Psionic Disruptor meditates (put a psi counter on it, or remove any number of psi counters from it.)
Whenever a counter leaves Psionic Disruptor, tap target creature an opponent controls.
2/2

IIW: Guards! Guards!

Megiddo
MEG

Shapeless Cephalid 1UU
Creature - Cephalid Wizard {R}
U: Choose a number. Shapeless Cephalid's power becomes equal to that number until end of turn. Prevent all damage Shapeless Cephalid would deal this turn.
0/2

IIW: The hobbies of your favorite plane
MEG

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I'm judging tomorrow after my interview.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”