NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Yorion, sky nomad
Legendary Creature - Bird Serpent
Companion — Each nonland card in your starting deck has a different name. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for {3} any time you could cast a sorcery.)
*Insert the rest of Yorion's rules text here*
3/5

Lutri, the spellchaser
Legendary Creature - elemental otter
Companion — Your starting deck contains at least twenty cards more than the minimum deck size.
*Insert the rest of Lutri's rules text here.*
3/2

Lurrus of the Dream-Den
Legendary Creature - Cat Nightmare
Companion — Each card in your starting deck has mana value 2 or less.
Lifelink
2: You may cast target permanent card in your graveyard this turn, if this is the first time this ability has resolved this turn. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
2/2
(The change allows for you to retry if something stops the first activation.)

Yorion and Lurrus are the only ones that need to be changed, but if you change yorion like this, you change Lutri to match. The rest of the mechanic is fine.

IIW: The wolves are at the door
Last edited by chetoos 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Three-Legged Mutt
Creature- Dog (U)
First Strike
Companion-- Start the game with 2 less life. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
Use Three-Legged Mutt's companion ability only if you control exactly one creature.
"I threw out a few scraps once. Since then, she hasn't left my side."
3/1
Too many cards to judge
Show
Hide
Shady Compatriot
Creature- Human Pirate (U)
Companion--Start the game with 2 less life. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
Use Shady Compatriot's companion ability only if an opponent controls no creatures.
When Shady Compatriot deals combat damage to a player, draw a card then discard a card.
"One last job for old times' sake. No risk."
1/1

Unscrupulous Advocate
Creature- Human Advisor (U)
Companion--Start the game with 2 less life. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
Use Unscrupulous Advocate's companion ability only if an opponent has at least 6 more life than you.
When an opponent casts a spell, that player may pay 1 life. If they don't, you gain 1 life.
"I'm afraid that's also a violation."
1/6

Goobuddy
Creature- Ooze (U)
Use Goobuddy's companion ability only if you have exactly 3 or 5 card in hand.
When Goobuddy enters the battlefield, if it is your chosen companion or you don't have one, create a token that's a copy of Goobuddy outside the game. Treat the token as a card as long as it hasn't left your hand. It becomes your chosen companion (your current life total doesn't change).
2/2

Malevolent Uncle 3B
Creature- Human Citizen (U)
Menace
Use Malevolent Uncle's Companion ability only if an opponent controls a creature with power and toughness 1/1.
When Malevolent Uncle enters the battlefield, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
"No Uncle Alby! not him!"
3/1

Lifelong Mentor 3U
Use Lifelong Mentor's companion ability only if you have an instant, a sorcery, and an artifact card in your graveyard.
When Lifelong Mentor enters the battlefield draw 2 cards.
Never underestimate a wise old woman.
1/2

Drinking Buddies 7R
Creature- Human Citizen
Trample, haste
Use Drinking Buddies' companion ability only if there are 6 or more creatures on the battlefield.
Drinking Buddies attacks each turn if able.
6/5

Stone Bodyguard 5
Artifact Creature- Golem (U)
Never leave home without one.
4/4

Favorite Toy 1
Artifact Creature- Construct (C)
Companion--Start the game with 1 less life. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
"It doesn't do much, but I like it."
1/1

Stern Overseer 2W
Creature- Bird Advisor (R)
Flying
No player can use the companion ability of their chosen companion.
Each creature that is a player's chosen companion enters the battlefield tapped.
W: Tap target creature that is a player's chosen companion.
2/3
IIW: A black card that could go in an artifact cube
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 1 year ago, edited 24 times in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Since this isn't exactly a hit challenge, alternate challenge: Dogs!

I'll judge later today regardless of entries (unless I forget, in which case I'm sorry)
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Froont, Yard Slug
1{B}{G}
Legendary Creature - Slug (U)
Companion - Your starting deck contain at least four Slug creature cards with different names. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for {3} any time you could cast a sorcery.)
Each creature you control with toughness greater than its power assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
1/3

IIW: Creature with exactly five creature types
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Wahri-El, the Haloborne Heads {G/W}{G/W}
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (R)
Boon companion - Each creature card in your starting deck has base power and toughness that is 0/0 or variable. (If this card is your chosen boon companion, you may cast it from outside the game targeting a legendary permanent that entered the battlefield under your control this turn.)
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Abilities you control that count a variable increase that count by 1.

IIW: Go under the hood of the rules and mess with them
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Lorthums, The Fist Project 3
Legendary Artifact Creature - Myr (R)
Companion - Your commander must be a Artificer, Wizard or Planeswalker. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
2, Tap your untapped Commander: Put a +1/+1 Counter on Lorthum, the First Project. If this is the first time you activate this ability, put your choice of a trample, haste, or first strike counter on Lorthum if its the Second time you activate this ability, put your choice of a lifelink, flying, or vigilance counter on Lorthum. If it the third time you activate this ability put your choice of a double strike, hexproof, or indestructible counter on Lorthum.
3/3

IIW: Conspiracy 3: Trade Wars Commence
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Lorthos, The Fist Project 3
Uh, Ulka? We already have a Legendary Octopus with that name.

Although really there's no reason why a Myr shouldn't be named Lorthos. In reality there plenty of things that share names, from places to people.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Lorthos, The Fist Project 3
Uh, Ulka? We already have a Legendary Octopus with that name.

Although really there's no reason why a Myr shouldn't be named Lorthos. In reality there plenty of things that share names, from places to people.

Ooops I was digging in my memory for the name of my custom legendary Myr turned planeswalker and grabbed the octopus's name by accident.. ooops but fixed
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Randall the Fetchful 2W
Legendary Creature - Dog
Companion - Your deck has at least seven different cards names containing Staff, Wand, Rod, or Scepter.
Whenever Randall enters the battlefield or attacks, reveal the top three cards of your library. You may put an artifact card from among them in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
2/3

IIW: finally complete

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Cythare It may be time
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Chilly Dog 2U
Creature — Elemental Dog
When Chillly Dog enters the battlefield, tap up to one target creature you don't control. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Whenever Chilly Dog becomes the target of a spell, return it to its owner's hand.
2/2

IIW: Player counters (experience, poison, etc)

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

It is time! I'm excited to see so many people who recognize the importance of a good companion!
entries
Show
Hide
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Yorion, sky nomad
Legendary Creature - Bird Serpent
Companion — Each nonland card in your starting deck has a different name. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for {3} any time you could cast a sorcery.)
*Insert the rest of Yorion's rules text here*
3/5

Lutri, the spellchaser
Legendary Creature - elemental otter
Companion — Your starting deck contains at least twenty cards more than the minimum deck size.
*Insert the rest of Lutri's rules text here.*
3/2

Lurrus of the Dream-Den
Legendary Creature - Cat Nightmare
Companion — Each card in your starting deck has mana value 2 or less.
Lifelink
2: You may cast target permanent card in your graveyard this turn, if this is the first time this ability has resolved this turn. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
2/2
(The change allows for you to retry if something stops the first activation.)

Yorion and Lurrus are the only ones that need to be changed, but if you change yorion like this, you change Lutri to match. The rest of the mechanic is fine.

IIW: The wolves are at the door
I'm not quite sure how switching Yorion and Lutri completely solves the problem, it just switches them. I guess it solves the problem for Lutri, since I don't think anyone's building an 80-card deck for Lutri, but this just results in Yorion being banned in Commander instead of Lutri.

I absolutely agree with this fix for Lurrus, and it's always bothered me that its companion clause wasn't a mirror image of Keruga.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Three-Legged Mutt
Creature- Dog (U)
First Strike
Companion-- Start the game with 2 less life. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
Use Three-Legged Mutt's companion ability only if you control exactly one creature.
"I threw out a few scraps once. Since then, she hasn't left my side."
3/1
Too many cards to judge
Show
Hide
Shady Compatriot
Creature- Human Pirate (U)
Use Shady Compatriot's companion ability only if an opponent controls no creatures.
When Shady Compatriot deals combat damage to a player, draw a card then discard a card.
"One last job for old times' sake. No risk."
1/1

Unscrupulous Advocate
Creature- Human Advisor (U)
Use Unscrupulous Advocate's companion ability only if an opponent has at least 6 more life than you.
When an opponent casts a spell, that player may pay 1 life. If they don't, you gain 1 life.
"I'm afraid that's also a violation."
1/6

Goobuddy
Creature- Ooze (U)
Use Goobuddy's companion ability only if you have exactly 3 or 5 card in hand.
When Goobuddy enters the battlefield, if it is your chosen companion or you don't have one, create a token that's a copy of Goobuddy outside the game. Treat the token as a card as long as it hasn't left your hand. It becomes your chosen companion (your current life total doesn't change).
2/2

Malevolent Uncle 3B
Menace
Use Malevolent Uncle's Companion ability only if an opponent controls a creature with power and toughness 1/1.
When Malevolent Uncle enters the battlefield, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
"No Uncle Alby! not him!"
3/1

Lifelong Mentor 3U
Use Lifelong Mentor's companion ability only if you have an instant, a sorcery, and an artifact card in your graveyard.
When Lifelong Mentor enters the battlefield draw 2 cards.
Never underestimate a wise old woman.
1/2

Drinking Buddies 7R
Creature- Human Citizen
Trample, haste
Use Drinking Buddies' companion ability only if there are 6 or more creatures on the battlefield.
Drinking Buddies attacks each turn if able.
6/5

Stone Bodyguard 5
Artifact Creature- Golem (U)
Never leave home without one.
4/4

Favorite Toy 1
Artifact Creature- Construct (C)
Companion--Start the game with 1 less life. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
"It doesn't do much, but I like it."
1/1

Stern Overseer 2W
Creature- Bird Advisor (R)
Flying
No player can use the companion ability of their chosen companion.
Each creature that is a player's chosen companion enters the battlefield tapped.
W: Tap target creature that is a player's chosen companion.
2/3
IIW: A black card that could go in an artifact cube
Agreed, this is too many cards to judge! I like the idea of them functioning as a sort of Vanguard-esque thing, where you pay a certain amount of life/starting cards to gain access to them. I'm not sure 2 life is the right number, but that coupled with a restrictive companion-activation clause makes them feel more situational instead of just a free card. That being said, these might be a little too toned down? I guess that's better than making more egregious companions, though!
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Froont, Yard Slug
1{B}{G}
Legendary Creature - Slug (U)
Companion - Your starting deck contain at least four Slug creature cards with different names. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for {3} any time you could cast a sorcery.)
Each creature you control with toughness greater than its power assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
1/3

IIW: Creature with exactly five creature types
This is cute, and the name made me chuckle. Changelings make this clause easier to meet, but it's conceptually cool, and I don't think they make it problematically easy. The ability is one that seems like it might be fine at uncommon, but that means it would also need to be well-supported if in a draft set.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Wahri-El, the Haloborne Heads {G/W}{G/W}
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (R)
Boon companion - Each creature card in your starting deck has base power and toughness that is 0/0 or variable. (If this card is your chosen boon companion, you may cast it from outside the game targeting a legendary permanent that entered the battlefield under your control this turn.)
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Abilities you control that count a variable increase that count by 1.

IIW: Go under the hood of the rules and mess with them
Ooh, a noncreature companion! I like the companion clause. The variation on the standard companion function is also cool, although I'm a bit worried that it would confuse people. The Aura's abilities tie into the companion clause, which is awesome.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Lorthums, The Fist Project 3
Companion - Your commander must be a Artificer, Wizard or Planeswalker. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may put it into your hand from outside the game for 3 any time you could cast a sorcery.)
2, Tap your untapped Commander: Put a +1/+1 Counter on Lorthum, the First Project. If this is the first time you activate this ability, put your choice of a trample, haste, or first strike counter on Lorthum if its the Second time you activate this ability, put your choice of a lifelink, flying, or vigilance counter on Lorthum. If it the third time you activate this ability put your choice of a double strike, hexproof, or indestructible counter on Lorthum.
3/3

IIW: Conspiracy 3: Trade Wars Commence
First, second, and third time ever? That's how it reads to me, since otherwise you have to be able to untap your commander a bunch. I have some concerns here, as some of the combinations seem sorta miserable, but I don't have enough insight into Commander to know if they're problematic, so my only actual complaints here are: 1) this doesn't work outside of Commander, and 2) I was really excited that its name was "The Fist Project", only to find out that was a typo.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Randall the Fetchful 2W
Legendary Creature - Dog
Companion - Your deck has at least seven different cards names containing Staff, Wand, Rod, or Scepter.
Whenever Randall enters the battlefield or attacks, reveal the top three cards of your library. You may put an artifact card from among them in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
2/3

This is a very cute entry that meets both the original challenge and the alternate challenge. I'm assuming this would be rare? If it's not rare, this is potentially a lot of card advantage, but I don't want to assume designer intent. I think the rate is good on all fronts.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Chilly Dog 2U
Creature — Elemental Dog
When Chillly Dog enters the battlefield, tap up to one target creature you don't control. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Whenever Chilly Dog becomes the target of a spell, return it to its owner's hand.
2/2

This came in while I was judging, but let's see! It's the only alternate challenge, but is a good boy or girl. This feels like a lot of value, but the value you're getting is a cheap spell at sorcery speed. I'd be fine with this as an uncommon, since it doesn't feel rare but might be annoying in multiples at common.
Winner
Show
Hide
HMs: Sporegorger_Dragon, Juancu
Winner: void_nothing
Next: Go under the hood of the rules and mess with them
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Cythare wrote:
1 year ago
The ability is one that seems like it might be fine at uncommon, but that means it would also need to be well-supported if in a draft set.
It's actually the bg limited archetype in Crimson Vow, so I'm sure Froont would have been right at home on Innistrad.

chetoos

Cythare wrote:
1 year ago
I'm not quite sure how switching Yorion and Lutri completely solves the problem, it just switches them. I guess it solves the problem for Lutri, since I don't think anyone's building an 80-card deck for Lutri, but this just results in Yorion being banned in Commander instead of Lutri.

I absolutely agree with this fix for Lurrus, and it's always bothered me that its companion clause wasn't a mirror image of Keruga.
There are currently only 2 companions that see any kind of serious play in nonrotating formats: Lurrus, because it's restriction is not a restriction, it's a suggestion to make your deck better, and Yorion, because when you're playing control, even an 8 mana flying 4/5 that resets all your etbs and planeswalkers is pretty good, before you get into loop shenanigans. Swapping Yorion with Lutri works to fix them both, because, as you said, no one's gonna build an 80 card deck for Lutri, and Yorion is a better payoff for singleton anyway. I don't care about using companions in commander, so oh well there. Lurrus's fix does make it the proper mirror of Keruga, but it also imposes a tax on the reanimation, allowing it to be weakened so it's not so overpowered.

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 1 year ago

Zur's Mirror U
Legendary Enchantment (R)
Reverse the order in which layers are applied for continuous effects.

iiw: dont use the word creature

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Thanks for the win, and I'll most likely judge tomorrow (evening) no matter the number of entries

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Patience 2WW
Creature - Incarnation (R)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a Pace world enchantment token that only exists until your next upkeep. As long as you control it, spells and non-mana abilities don't resolve and don't prevent casting sorceries, activating abilities as sorceries, and ending steps, phases and turns.
2/4

Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Shoyei Verada, Shieldmage 2WW
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard (R)
Ward 3
Replace all printed instances of the keyword action "destroy" with the keyword action "tap" on all instant and sorcery cards.
Replace all printed instances of the keyword action "exile" with the keyword action "destroy" on all instant and sorcery cards.
3/4

Otherworld Elixir 4
Artifact (R)
If a nonland permanent you control is tapped but untopped, you may tap it as though it were untapped. If you do, it becomes topped. (rotate it upside down. A topped permanent is tapped and doesn't untap or untop during its controller's untap step. If it would become untapped, instead it becomes untopped, but remains tapped.)
5,T: Untop target topped permanent. Activate this ability only once per turn.

Special rule to fix foreseen issue: Kamigawa flip cards cards can't become topped.

Imagination 3u
Creature- Incarnation (R)
Flying
You may treat an imaginary object as though it existed to be a target for a spell or ability. (For example if a spell says "Target opponent draws 2 cards", you may target an imaginary opponent. No cards will be drawn.)
3/3

Karametra, the Bounteous 4GW
Legendary Enchantment Creature (M)
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to green and white is less than seven, Karametra isn't a creature.
Damage is dealt to creatures you control in the form of +1/+1 counters.
7/6

IIW: A black card for an artifact cube.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Needlepoint Instigator 1{U/R}
Creature — Faerie Rogue
Flying
Whenever Needlepoint Instigator attacks a creature, goad it. (Until your next turn, that creature attacks each combat if able and attacks another player or their creatures if ale.)
1/3

chetoos

Quandrix Manipulator 2GU
Creature - Elf Wizard
Creature cards you own and creatures you control use their base power as their mana value.
"All you need to do is realize that there's nothing out there limiting how you define the values."
4/2

IIW: The wolves are at the door.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 1 year ago

Nepotistic Privilege
Conspiracy (M)
(Start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone.)
Your starting life total is reduced by 5.
You can't modify your deck between games.
Whenever you win a game, you win the match.
"I don't see what the problem is. Put in the hard work like I have, and you too can succeed."

IIW: Your favourite recent mechanic

Sporegorger_Dragon

You've already seen this:

Layer Relayer
2{U}
Creature - Platypus (M)
Apply effects in any layer you want. You may apply layers in a different order to different objects. (Use only at your own risk. Listen you figure this out yourself. Go check the rules or the FAQ or something.)
0/1
It's an egg-layer, and layer-egg.

But these are new:

Free-Spirited Spirit
{U}{R}
Creature - Spirit (U)
Flying
Effects that say "can" take precedence over effects that say "can't."
2/2

Loopy Loach
2{U}
Creature - Fish (R)
Flash
When a loop caused by mandatory actions occurs, instead of a draw, you choose how many times that loop repeats, then as a special action exile all objects involved in that loop.
1/4

Monty, Mon-Collecter Nepenthes

Legendary Creature - Plant (M)
Creature tokens continue to exist in zones other than the battlefield, count as cards of their respective types, and can move between zones.
You may cast creature tokens by paying {1}.
Monty, Mon-Collecter Nepenthes' power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
*/*

IIW: Creatures with exactly five types
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 1 year ago

Transcendent Force 2gw
Creature — Elemental (R)
Vigilance, trample
Spells and abilities that do not target Transcendent Force have no affect on Transcendent Force.
4/4

IIW: Band names as black-bordered card names. (No local bands. Your band should at least have a Wikipedia page.)
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Well, I'm exhausted - round will extend till tomorrow.

Sporegorger_Dragon

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. :pensive:

Tenej, the Lungless

Legendary Creature - Salamander Druid (R)
While you're searching your library, you may cast creature cards from your library.
{1}, {T}, Pay 2 life: Mill three cards. Add one mana of any color for each creature card milled this way. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only as you cast a spell.
2/2

IIW: Creatures with exactly five types

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”